New Search is so much better than it used to be that it's truly amazing. It's been quite a while since I have used Old Search at all. Nevertheless, there are still things that drive me crazy.
For example, I was just curious if there are any plans to fix the way spouse searches mix up names. Indeed, is this problem even accepted as being a problem?
Here's a current (and real) example. I have an obit for Eva Peters age 93 who died in 1999. The obit states that she was preceeded in death by her husband Joe Peters and that she was originally from Petros, Tennessee. Petros is in Morgan County.
I was curious about Eva's maiden name. I always do exact searches. So I searched exact for surname Peters, any event in Tennessee, USA, spouse Eva. There were 32 matches. I always display results by category, and the most promising database was Tennessee State Marriages, 1780-2002 where there were 13 matches.
I clicked on that database, and the first match was for the marriage of Joe Peters to Eva Langford on 7 Feb 1931 in Morgan County, Tennessee. I will need to do a little further verification to be sure I have the right Eva, but for right now I'm a pretty happy camper. I found a primary source document that tells me exactly what I want to know with one simple search. So why do I want to whine?
Well, look down the rest of the list of 13 matches. The first 5 matches are all fine. The other 8 matches are just completely wrong. Something needs to be done to remove them from the list of matches.
And by the way, why didn't I search for Joseph Peters married to Eva or Joe Peters married to Eva or something like that? Well, when doing exact searches, the less information you enter, the better your search results are going to be (usually!). I don't know if Joe is going to be listed as Joseph or Jos. or Joe or if his name was William Joseph and he is going to be listed as William or William J. or W.J. So I start out by giving the least information I can. I also lucked out on Eva in that the marriage record listed her as Eva rather than as Evaline or Eveline or as Sarah E.
If the first search hadn't worked, I would have tried Eva* and I would have tried Joseph Peters with the "Restrict to exact and names with similar meanings" options and I would have tried Joe without Eva and Eva without Joe and all kinds of things like that. If the record had existed, I was going to find it in a couple of minutes anyway. But the way I started is truly the best way to start when using exact search.