Search for content in message boards

Some More Really Bad Exact Matches

Replies: 1

Some More Really Bad Exact Matches

Posted: 6 Aug 2011 7:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have two obituaries from the 1980's in Knoxville, Tennessee where the minister officiating at the funeral was Rev. P.L. Rowlette in one case and Rev. Pete Rowlette in the other case. I suspect but don't know for sure that P.L. Rowlette and Pete Rowllette were the same person, but they probably were. I didn't recognize the name, and was mildly curious. Rev. Rowlette is not even remotely central to my research, but I decided to try to find him in ancestry.com. The search results are very strange.

The search was exact for pete* rowlette living in tennessee. There are 29 matches.

* 2 matches on 1910 census. They are not my guy. One of the matches makes sense given my search (Rutherford County, Tennessee). The other does not (King County, Washington).

* 1 match on the 1900 census, and it makes no sense because it's for Queens County, New York for a man born in Ireland.

* 1 match on the rootsweb obituary index, not my guy, but makes sense given my search.

* 1 match on Kentucky Death Records, 1852-1953, makes no sense. It's for a woman who died in Kentucky and who had a father named Peter Rowlette who was born in Virginia.

* 1 match on Seventeenth Century Colonial Ancestors, Vol. I. There is a match on Peter Rowlette in Virginia in the 17th century, a time when Tennessee did not yet exist.

* 1 match on All Progress-Index (Petersburg, Virginia) for Pete Rowlette. It's a poor match anyway because of the keyword indexing and the lack of proper adjacency testing, but not withstanding those problems there should be no match because of the lack of any reference to Tennessee.

* 1 match on The Maryville Daily Forum (Maryville, Missouri), exact same problems as previous match.

* 5 matches on Public Member Stories, all from around 1700 in Henrico County, Virginia before Tennessee existed, and there are no references to Tennessee.

* 2 matches on Private Member Stories, I can't see the stories but they are for Virginia in the 1600's and there are no references to Tennessee.

* 1 match on Seventeenth Century Colonial Ancestors, Vol. I referencing Virginia in 1637 with no references to Tennessee.

* 1 match on U.S. City Directories in Covington, Kentucky, bad match anyway because of keyword indexing and no adjacency testing, and especially there is no reference to Tennessee.

* 6 matches in Public Member Trees, but none of the matches are in Tennessee.

* 5 matches in OneWorldTree, but only one of the matches is in Tennessee.

* 2 matches in Private Member Trees. I can't see inside the private trees, but the matches are for 1720 so they can't be for Tennessee.

Just before submitting this, I ran precisely the same search again. This time there were 3 matches instead of 29, and all 3 matches were ok in the sense that all 3 referenced Tennessee and all 3 referenced Peter or Pete Rowlette.

The attached screen shot is from the first search, the one that had 29 matches.

Jerry
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
thejerrybryan 7 Aug 2011 1:14AM GMT 
thejerrybryan 7 Aug 2011 3:13PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions