Search for content in message boards

Server resource conservation programme?

Replies: 4

Server resource conservation programme?

Posted: 19 May 2012 2:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
Are you limiting search-engine breadth?

Two limitations noticed yesterday:

1) Searching newspapers from a tree, the "search only this county and adjacent counties" setting did not work. I could separately locate items in each of two particular adjacent counties, in separate searches using 'this county only', but the adjacency setting did not work to retrieve the same items from the 'adjacent' county (using identical search parameters as to name and date exactness).

2a) Searching in NewSearch from a tree individual for a Civil War item I knew existed did not retrieve it. I went to the Civil War search page in NewSearch and searched for a name I knew was indexed in that particular item, and it was not retrieved in search results. Matter of fact, only a result from one out of 5 known existing database entries showed up.

2b) Users ~!still!~ cannot readily locate specific databases in NewSearch (when will the database lists be created for NewSearch????--the "featured collections" short-list is still deceptive and non-helpful, and on the Civil War page there is no link to create a list of these databases from the Card Catalog). So I switched to OldSearch, went to the Military database listing, found the item to search in, did my known-indexed-name search and instantly found what I was looking for. This particular item is one of those for which no overall SQL index-list is shown, so entries can not be saved to a tree unless found in a search. Thus browsing directly to the known page entry is no help for saving to tree.

If these limitations (whether resource-call variable or not) are part of a conservation programme, could y'all please fess up?

All help appreciated,
Jade
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
frostfreedet 19 May 2012 8:37AM GMT 
tripthrutime 22 May 2012 10:08PM GMT 
frostfreedet 23 May 2012 12:27AM GMT 
frostfreedet 25 May 2012 2:20PM GMT 
frostfreedet 25 May 2012 4:34PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic