Search for content in message boards

Drouin Collection unsearchable due to ongoing index reformatting.

Replies: 2

Drouin Collection unsearchable due to ongoing index reformatting.

Posted: 21 Jun 2012 7:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
50 millions records are now unsearchable.

This is getting worse by the day, old or new search, take your pick.

I spent 15 mins trying to figure out what some Ancestry genius thought "St-Mathias" was; a location or place of worship. (it's a place of worship), and technically located in Pointe-Olivier. Nope, to Ancestry, "St-Mathias" is a location.

Whomever is tinkering around with these db's needs to study this guide to understand what is a parish and a location. http://search.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx=BookList&dbid=4917...

I performed and exact (new) search for a common name, Richer, I know to be in this parish, wildcarding it, a 20 year span, and got one return. There should be 50+ returns.

I've tossed in a couple of examples of geographically challenged, error ridden indexing.

======================

I'm including a page of old search results that make the point the indexing changes are horrendous. 2 out of 10 returns are indexed correctly. I did this search on 4 Jun 2012, and was unable to get the same return today using the same parameters today. I'm guessing Drouin and old search are no more? I can't wait for tomorrow.
==================================================

-I'm getting member connect alerts of alternate names to records in this collection I've made alternates to. In all cases, the new alternate is identical to mine. When I go to the page and look at my alternate, it's either garbled or incomplete.

-There's a new format for entering alternates, again not an improvement. I want to know why someone is making an alternate, the pre and suffix are not needed in FC genealogy. It's now set up to create a bunch of clutter on every record. I will no longer waste time making alternates that transcribers couldn't read in the first place.

============================================

I posted on the Ancestry Improvement board about how the collection is now attaching to event in a profile in a member tree.

You'll have to make this uniform and consistent. If the system insists on not attaching a bap record to a birth event, but creates a bap event, then MAKE THE SEARCH FORM read BAPTISM, not BIRTH.

Conversely, the burial record attaches to the death event, but again, the search form reads that it's a search for a death record.

As it stands, I can search faster by hand, which can be done for free on familysearch.org. I'm paying for service that no longer works, and spending time pointing out why it doesn't.

I don't want to contacted by Ancestry via email, particularly one that is not familiar with the phrase, "drill-down". I've posted a link to this message on the Quebec-mail list, hoping the more experienced researchers join in my plight to get some resolution.

Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
daciodan 22 Jun 2012 1:57AM GMT 
frostfreedet 23 Jun 2012 9:50AM GMT 
daciodan 25 Jun 2012 1:57PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic