Search for content in message boards

Help us assess Old Search

Replies: 5

Re: Help us assess Old Search

Posted: 21 Apr 2013 10:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Well, I finally read the directions well enough to realize that feedback was requested via the survey rather than here. So I took the survey. Sorry about posting here instead. :)

After taking the survey, I realized that what I was doing here was comparing the Old Search simulation with what I do now with New Search, and the survey was really trying to compare instead the Old Search simulation with the actual Old Search. I did try to answer the questions the best I could.

There was one question I liked especially well. It listed a number of features that Old Search had that neither New Search nor the Old Search simulation have, and it asked how important those features are. It's an extremely well researched list. Your consultant did a great job with it. It reminded me of how much I miss certain aspects of Old Search.

But if I may, I would like to mention one (and maybe two) items that I think your consultant missed. The one I'm sure about is the Old Search date range feature. What I would do with Old Search was to enter the date range as being from the person's birth date to the person's death date. This feature doesn't exist at all in New Search, the best I can tell. For example, if I search for a person for the date range of 1815 through 1902, Old Search will find a tax record from 1838 (tax records contain no birth dates or death dates or any other personal event dates - just the date of the record) and will not find a tax record for 1804 or 1912 - which is the desired behavior. I know of no way to accomplish the same search in New Search.

For the second Old Search feature I have in mind that might be missing in New Search and that might be missing from the consultant's list, I offer up the Old Search "Lived In" feature. Well, New Search obviously has a "Lived in" feature and I use it a lot. But the feature doesn't work quite the same between New Search and Old Search. For example, the "Lived in" feature in Old Search with "Lived in Tennessee" would find a census record for someone who was living in Tennessee irrespective of their birth place and also for someone who was born in Tennessee irrespective of where they were living. This was great, and is better than what New Search does (well, New Search will take "Lived in" down to the county, which Old Search would not do). The "Any event in" feature in New Search comes close to being the same as the Old Search "Lived in" feature. But in my experience the "Any event in" feature in New Search is not propagated properly down from generic search to a search of a specific database.

Jerry
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
godavem 20 Apr 2013 6:08AM GMT 
thejerrybryan 21 Apr 2013 3:26AM GMT 
godavem 21 Apr 2013 3:52AM GMT 
thejerrybryan 22 Apr 2013 4:05AM GMT 
thejerrybryan 13 May 2013 5:34PM GMT 
Daniel Tidbal... 25 Jul 2013 8:39AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions