Search for content in message boards

Help us assess Old Search

Replies: 5

Re: Help us assess Old Search

Posted: 25 Jul 2013 2:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Jul 2013 2:40AM GMT
I have recently filled in a typically flawed survey form regarding the old search function. "Improvements" to your search engine will be fruitless unless the problems with your transcription service are resolved. For example; the 'London, England, Electoral Registers, 1832-1965' should be a resource second only to the Censuses, but the transcriptions seem to have been done by a machine working across the pages while the data was recorded in 2 or 3 columns. Consequently, if you enter 'register of electors' into the Street Address box you get nearly 10,000 matches! Enter only 'register' and the matches approach a quarter of a million!! All of these will be invisible to a search engine looking for their real address however much you improve it.
Apparently only 2% of subscribers use the Old Search. How many of us are long time subscribers? It is apparent to me that there are a vast number of people who start their trees, using the New Search as they must, and give up within days because of the bewildering array of nonsensical matches with which they are presented.
I am unable to assess your latest version as I do not use Firefox, but if my experience of the new viewer is anything to go by (slow to load and often freezes) I will be disappointed and very likely to move my subscription elsewhere.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
godavem 20 Apr 2013 6:08AM GMT 
thejerrybryan 21 Apr 2013 3:26AM GMT 
godavem 21 Apr 2013 3:52AM GMT 
thejerrybryan 22 Apr 2013 4:05AM GMT 
thejerrybryan 13 May 2013 5:34PM GMT 
Daniel Tidbal... 25 Jul 2013 8:39AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic