Search for content in message boards

Exact Search

Replies: 52

Re: Exact Search

Posted: 1 Apr 2011 7:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi John,

While I agree with Andy that we need to know precisely how Exact Search currently works, I will answer your question as posed.

If I searched for "Lived In," I would expect to see all records for which Ancestry currently creates a Residence event on a profile page (e.g. Census, Draft) as well as those records where "lived in" is likely, including birthplace and death place. Although it is possible that the person did not live in that exact location (e.g., hospital where born or died is in a different city, county, and/or state), as a researcher, I would want to start with that record and pin it down myself.

I hope that we can discuss many of the issues about "exact" search here. A better understanding of how the computer generates results will lead us to more productive discussions. Last year, discovering how certain databases are indexed and even categorized led us to an understanding of many changes that needed to be made. I think that some of those issues have been/are being addressed. Some of the date ranges assigned to various databases also caused problems by returning "exact" searches that were wildly far afield from the dates entered. I do not know the current status of this fix.

I'm looking forward to this discussion. It seems that it has been quite a while since Search issues have been addressed.

Nancy
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
tripthrutime 2 Apr 2011 12:21AM GMT 
AGHatchett3rd 2 Apr 2011 12:58AM GMT 
ludlowbaylive 2 Apr 2011 1:01AM GMT 
AGHatchett3rd 2 Apr 2011 1:07AM GMT 
ludlowbaylive 2 Apr 2011 3:16AM GMT 
AGHatchett3rd 2 Apr 2011 4:11AM GMT 
ludlowbaylive 2 Apr 2011 4:33AM GMT 
nsedak 2 Apr 2011 1:54AM GMT 
AGHatchett3rd 2 Apr 2011 4:43AM GMT 
tripthrutime 2 Apr 2011 4:32PM GMT