Search for content in message boards

Exact Search

Replies: 52

Exact Search

Posted: 1 Apr 2011 6:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
>>>Hi all, I've not yet been tagged as a greenie, but I am an Ancestry Search Product Manager. I should be flagged as such soon, but didn't want to wait for that to be done.<<<

Some of you may have seen the thread on the general board regarding exact search.

http://boards.ancestry.com/topics.ancestry.ancimprovements/1...

I'd like to see if we can use this thread to have a constructive dialog about how exact search "should" work (irrespective of old or new) on cases that are a little more fuzzy than the one cited in CandTFHA's post.

The reason I put should in quotes is because different people have different definitions of what constitutes exact. To start, I'd like to begin with a specific example I'm hoping we can discuss. After this one, we can bring up other examples for discussion. Sound good?

If you were to do an exact search for a "Lived In" location what records should that return (or what fields should that exact location be applied against)? Should it return only records that explicitly called out a residence location (e.g., 1930 US Census) or one that had an implied/likely residence location (e.g., "State Served" in American Civil War Soldiers category).

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

John
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
tripthrutime 2 Apr 2011 12:21AM GMT 
AGHatchett3rd 2 Apr 2011 12:58AM GMT 
ludlowbaylive 2 Apr 2011 1:01AM GMT 
AGHatchett3rd 2 Apr 2011 1:07AM GMT 
ludlowbaylive 2 Apr 2011 3:16AM GMT 
AGHatchett3rd 2 Apr 2011 4:11AM GMT 
ludlowbaylive 2 Apr 2011 4:33AM GMT 
nsedak 2 Apr 2011 1:54AM GMT 
AGHatchett3rd 2 Apr 2011 4:43AM GMT