Search the Boards

Search Results for "SKENE" - 938 Messages

per page

Where is Premnay in Aberdeenshire? Posted on: 25 May 2001, by  MicheleBender...

Localities > United Kingdom and Ireland > Scotland > Aberdeenshire > General

Does anyone know where the Parish of Premnay is in Aberdeenshire? I suspect that is it somewhere near Kennethmont, but I can't seem to find a map with it listed. It is obviously extinct.

Cowie and Premnay area Posted on: 25 May 2001, by  MicheleBender...

Thank you for your response. When I do a search on the ordnancesurvey site for UK it claims that Premnay doesn't exist, so that is why I made the conclusion I did. About the Cowie family--yes, my Grea...

Skene Family Posted on: 12 Jun 2001, by  Frannylou

Surnames > Skene

I am trying to find information on a Mary Skene who married James Minto. They came to the USA from Fraserbourgh, but I don't know when. Any info would help. Thank-you.

BOTHWELL, COUTTS, CHRISTIE, ARTHUR, CAIE Posted on: 23 Jun 2001, by  squinny

...Meldrum. Ann married David Christie; lived in Old Meldrum Christian married Thomas Coutts, lived in Keig, Skene, Chapel of Garrison Robert and John immigrated to Ontario, Canada. John stayed in sydenham To...

Jane Skene Daviot Aberdeenshire Scotland Posted on: 03 Jul 2001, by  BurrCurrie

Surnames > Skene

Trying to satisfy my curiosity. In the 1881 census there is a Jane SKENE listed as a boarder/scholar living at Pitblain Daviot with my ggrandparents, James and Jane BURR. The LDS states she was born 1 No...

SKEEN Family Posted on: 08 Jul 2001, by  Gail Brown

Localities > North America > United States > States > Virginia > Counties > Russell

...husband's family, and I would like to share info with any descendants. Parents of Stephen were Peter SKEEN/SKENE and Sarah SARGENT. Who were parents of Francis Ann BUSH?

Re: SKENE Posted on: 21 Jul 2001, by Joan(Tucker)Russako

You mentioned both, Skene and Beattie names, and my husband has Skene's on his mother's side and I have Beattie's on my fathers side. On my side, we have Alexandrina Gillvery Beattie, born 1869 in Aberdeen...

Re: Moores in Bibb County AL Posted on: 26 Jul 2001, by  lena_farley

Localities > North America > United States > States > Alabama > Counties > Bibb

...daughter named Mary Louise Woodruff. born in guntown miss. Dec 19, 1855. Mary married Rev. joe turner ?? skene (boliver)? miss. Had a daughter named annie turner in turn she married my great grandfather ...

Re: Skene Posted on: 29 Jul 2001, by Marilyn Otterson

Surnames > Skene

Sorry I can't help you folks. The Helen Goff Skene I'm looking for is a great aunt who died in the 1930s before I was born. She reportedly was interested in genealogy and did a lot of research in the fam...

Re: Browns in Belhelvie/Newhills Posted on: 02 Aug 2001, by  KarenRusbatch

SKENE/BROWN families Belhelvie, Aberdeenshire. My husbands 3x g grandparents were Thomas SKENE and Elizabeth (Elspet) BROWN who lived in Blackdog and Fife. Elspet (Elizabeth) BROWN chr 1778 Belhelvie, died 1843...

Re: Browns in Belhelvie/Newhills Posted on: 03 Aug 2001, by  jackiecarlton

Yes Karen,her parents were David Brown & Elspet Charles.They are my 5 X times great grandparents.Thomas & Elspet had 10 children, which one is your husband descended from? Please contact me on...

Re: Skene Family and Grandholm Mills in Aberdeen Posted on: 06 Aug 2001, by Lisa Grant Coffin

HI! I have a Skene at Clifton House, Insch @ 1881 Census: Alexander GRANT W 64 M Cromdale, Elgin (My GGGrandfather) Agnes GRANT dau servant U 29 F Kinnellar, ABD James...

Re: Rayne parish Posted on: 20 Aug 2001, by  clemett1

...tree. On March 3, 1854, William Jaffray married Ann Souter in the Parish of Old Machar, by Rev. Charles Skene of John Knox Church. The witnesses were William Johnston and Alexander Jaffray. I do not have...

Re: Mcbain - Mary Posted on: 25 Aug 2001, by  kblake74

Surnames > McBain

Mary Mcbain married George Alexander 1st June 1851Skene They had the following children:- James brn 1-12 1855 William brn 13-11 1857 George brn 16=8 1859 Margaret Jane 4-9-1861 Leslie 10-12 1863 Henry 3-1...

Re: ROBERTSON/BAXTER Ancestry Posted on: 01 Sep 2001, by  JamesHart12

...Scotland Rel: Dau James ROBERTSON U 1 m M Braemar, Aberdeen, Scotland Rel: Son Dwelling: Annfield (Skene Rd) Census Place: Newhills, Aberdeen, Scotland ...

Re: David Shirreffs Posted on: 06 Sep 2001, by daniel shirreffs

Realise that this is in reply to an old message but Alexander Shirreffs and Elizabeth Skene were my ggg grandparents. Their children were Gordon (b.1830),Alexander (b.1823),James (b.1825),Peter (b.1827) an...

Re: John James Rickard MacLeod Posted on: 09 Sep 2001, by  EarlRoss2

Localities > United Kingdom and Ireland > Scotland > Ross & Cromarty > General

...Perth Mary McLEOD dau age 1 b: Cluny, Perth Annie STEPHEN domestic servant age 21 b: Grange, Banff Annie SKENE nurse servant age 19 b: Rothes, Elgin Earl Ross http://communities.prodigy.net/genealogy/

Descendants of Alexander Skene Posted on: 10 Sep 2001, by  tracysweeney4...

Surnames > Skene

Hello Alexander is my g-g-g-g-g-g-g-grandfather, he was born in 1710 in Scotland. he married to Isobel Mill. I am looking for his parents's names and any siblings, his son is Jonathan Alexander Skeens...

Re: Skene in Australia Posted on: 12 Sep 2001, by  EBrown7094

Surnames > Skene

HI! I have Skene ancesters that went to Australia. Alexander Skene and his wife Ann Matthew. Also his brother William Skene. I am guessing at the time frame - after 1900. Do you think you can help?

Re: Descendants of Alexander Skene of Scotland Posted on: 20 Sep 2001, by Eileen Bailey

Surnames > Skene

Alexander Skene married Isobel Mill [ also spelt Milne in some of children's birth records] on 21 June 1737 in Echt parish, Aberdeenshire.Children found -Elspet bapt.16 April 1738. Alexander bapt.10 June 1...

Re: Descendants of Alexander Skene of Scotland Posted on: 21 Sep 2001, by  skeensgloria

Surnames > Skene

Thank you, for the followup information, Now how is a connection being made from this Skene to the Skeens, in the United States? Or is it? I am getting confused with this thread. What is the line of thi...

Re: Descendants of Alexander Skene of Scotland Posted on: 24 Sep 2001, by Sara

Surnames > Skene

Do you have any more information on William Skene? I have just started trying to find my husband's ancestors as his family knows NOTHING about them. All I know is the William Skene I'm looking for married a M...

Re: Gilmore,Margaret w/o Andrew Stevenson Posted on: 29 Sep 2001, by Lynn Stevenson Fisher

Surnames > Gilmore

...he was in Skenesborough/Whitehall, Albany/Charlotte/Washington Co. by 1771 as a tenant of Maj. Philip Skene; by 1784, he moved a few miles south to the Comstock area of Fort Ann/Westfield, NY, where he bec...

MURRAY Old Machar, Aberdeen, Scotland Posted on: 03 Oct 2001, by  Mary Legarth

Our MURRAY goes back to the MURRAYS of Skene. John MURRAY 1694, his son, Thomas Easter Camie 1729; his son John died 1849, marr to Isabel DAVIDSON; their son William Bn. 1801, who marr Mary Ann DONALD...

Re: Washington County, NY MAKING IT WORK Posted on: 05 Oct 2001, by Lynn Stevenson Fisher

Localities > North America > United States > States > New York > Counties > Washington

The RootsWeb county sites are a cooperative effort that depend on volunteers. The volunteers don't have to be current residents of the area. In other words, any of us who want to receive information...

Re: Z.B Williams[Alex] Posted on: 06 Oct 2001, by  smedders123

Localities > North America > United States > States > Mississippi > Counties > Bolivar

Forgot, I will be going to Mississippi this next week. Will see what I can find out.My people lived in Skene, Pace Rosedale, Benoit, Cleveland,And Boyle. Sue.

New GRANT-SCT Mailing List Posted on: 24 Oct 2001, by Lisa Grant Coffin

Surnames > Grant

Hello Fellow Grant Researcher I just wanted to let you know that there is a new Grant mailing list, in addition to the GRANT-L mailing list. It is designed for people who are doing Grant Genealogy re...

New GRANT-SCT Mailing list Posted on: 24 Oct 2001, by Lisa Grant Coffin

Localities > United Kingdom and Ireland > Scotland > Inverness-shire > General

For those researching their GRANT families in Invernessshire I just wanted to let you know that there is a new Grant mailing list, in addition to the GRANT-L mailing list. It is designed for people w...

Re: David Shirreffs Posted on: 27 Oct 2001, by Barbara Hastings

Hi David, My greatgrandfather's name was Archibald McGillivary Shirreffs, he married a Christiana Skene. I'm not sure when that got married. As my ggrandfather remarried in 1871, Christiane either died ...

Re: Swedish Relatives Posted on: 29 Oct 2001, by  rcarl616

Localities > Scandinavian and Baltic States > Sweden > General

...modern-day län of Skåne are the same. Getting back to the original question, there is a town named Skene, located about 35 km. directly east of Kungsbacka, which in turn is not very far south of...

MacKay/Duncan Posted on: 04 Nov 2001, by  krisheadley

Localities > United Kingdom and Ireland > Scotland > General

...RAE. I have been told that she was married to a smithy by the name of MACKAY and settled in Kirkton of Skene. Another thread of information was that she had a neice named Anna ABEL who may have lived in ...

Re: Skene in Australia Posted on: 06 Nov 2001, by  alneeno

Surnames > Skene

The people I have information about came over in 1852 so I am not sure that I can be much help to you. The names you gave don't sound familiar either (don't have access to my tree right now so can't ...

Skains Posted on: 07 Nov 2001, by Dee Edmonds

Surnames > Skains

...searched desperately for months on the origin of the last name, and learned that it derived from the name 'Skene', which is of Scottish decent. Anyone else that could be of help to me, please email me.

Re: John J Skene b.abt.1760,of Aboyne,Aberdeenshire,Scotland Posted on: 09 Nov 2001, by  P_Geddis

Surnames > Ross

I have an Alexander Skene b 1808 in Elgin, Scotland. He married Jane/Jean Beattie and settled in Strathdon, Aberdeenshire where he was a wool manufacturer. Children were Ann, James, Mary, Jane, and Elspet ...

Re: David Shirreffs Posted on: 24 Nov 2001, by  BHastings4561

Hi, My name is Barbara, I find it very rare that other Shirreffs & Skene were married also. My Shirreffs Archibald McGillivary Shirreffs married a Christiana Skene around 1865 - 1867, apparently Archil...

Re: History & Biography of Washington Co & .... Posted on: 06 Dec 2001, by Lynn Stevenson Fisher

Localities > North America > United States > States > New York > Counties > Washington

... That really helps. By any chance are you a descendant of Maurice/Morris Austin, a tenant of Major Skene before the Revolution. I'm wondering because Elizabeth Stevenson, b. 1772, daughter of my ancestor...

lloyd costello smith Posted on: 08 Dec 2001, by  rosssmith6670

Localities > North America > United States > States > Mississippi > Counties > Smith

lloyd costello smith was my great, great, grandfather and lived in bolivar county mississippi around skene. does anyone have any info on this man. apparently he lived in bolivar county in the early 1800's....

Re: Descendants of Alexander Skene of Scotland Posted on: 29 Dec 2001, by Joan Russako

Surnames > Skene

My husbands mother is a Skene. Her mother was a Skene. Her name was Mary Skene Minto. She was married to James Minto and they had a daughter Stella (my husbands mother) Stella had a son named Lawerence that was born...

1861 Strathdon Census - ED 7 Posted on: 04 Jan 2002, by Deb O'Reilly

Uploaded 1861 Strathdon Census - ED 7, on my website tonight: http://members.home.net/dcoreilly Other 1861 Strathdon EDs will be uploaded in the near future. Deb

Robert SKENE. Ilford, England. 1920's. Posted on: 05 Jan 2002, by  joan_cocozza

Surnames > Skene

I am seeking information relating to Robert Skene who, in the 1920's, lived in Ilford in the county of Essex, England. Robert was a nephew of John Macartney, Chief Magistrate of Madras. Robert's cousin, L...

Lizzie Maggie NAIRN. Middlesex, Eng. 1920's. Posted on: 05 Jan 2002, by  joan_cocozza

Surnames > Nairn

...England. Lizzie was niece of John Macartney, Chief Magistrate of Madras and also a cousin of Robert Skene of Ilford, in the county of Essex, England. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Jo...

Samuel Hird Family, Aberdeen, from Circa 1800 Posted on: 11 Jan 2002, by  Milnethomased...

Surnames > Hird

Samuel Hird (b.circa 1800) & Janet Smith (b. Skene 1813) Married Parish of Echt, Aberdeenshire 3 June 1837. Had 6 children (1) Jessie Hird (b. 19 July 1838), (2) Ann Hird (b. 16 April 1840), (3) Jame...

Re: Cowie ancestry of Premnay, Aberdeen, Scotland Posted on: 08 Feb 2002, by  Mishbender

Surnames > Cowie

...gotten as far as Aberdeen in finding them. My Great-Grandmother, Mary Ann Cowie who married William Skene--they stayed in Aberdeen. I know nothing about her siblings' families at this time. I have traced thei...

Re: Cowie ancestry from Premnay, Aberdeen, Scotland Posted on: 03 Mar 2002, by  Mishbender

...including the following information because you mentioned the Leslie family. I have a Leslie line into my Skene family which married into the Cowie family. Do you recognize any of these names? Descenda...

Re: McROBBIE Posted on: 08 Mar 2002, by Bob Mcleish

...McRobbie, younger brother of Isabella, was born 16th August 1859 at 2.30 AM in Wester Carnie, Parish of Skene. Married Helen Wilson 14th May 1880 in Aberdeen. Hope this assists. Bob McLeish

Cowie family of Ordiquhill, Banff, Scotland Posted on: 16 Mar 2002, by  Mishbender

Surnames > Cowie

...am looking for George and Jane's parents, etc. I appreciate any help that can be offered. Michele Skene Bender mishbender@mindspring.com

Re: Samuel Low & Tabitha Skene Posted on: 23 Mar 2002, by  Joanne Dohert...

Localities > North America > United States > States > North Carolina > Counties > Randolph

Samuel Low and Tabitha Skene may be my ancestors. Their son, Ralph Low, lived in Georgia in the late 18th and early 19th century. I believe that Ralph had a son, John Butler Low(e) who was my ggggrandfat...

Re: SKENE AND MUNRO Posted on: 18 Apr 2002, by  dianej108

Localities > United Kingdom and Ireland > Scotland > Nairnshire > General

Dear John: Christian Hay Munro Skene is a match. My line is George Munro Skene. I even have letters from Christian to her Granddaughter Elizabeth McTavish Skene McKenzie. I know this is a very old query you pos...

Re: Mills Births Posted on: 19 Apr 2002, by  lora1957

Localities > North America > United States > States > Indiana > Counties > Posey

I am not researching this surname, just thought I would share: Enjoy! Lora The Surname, The Childs Given Name, The Fathers Given Name, The Mothers Given Name, Her Maiden Name, Sex, Color, Month, ...

Re: Skeen/Skene/Skein Posted on: 22 Apr 2002, by  Coque

Localities > North America > United States > States > Texas > Counties > Dawson

...that area for 40 years before moving to the Waco, TX area. Neither of us have ever heard of a Skeen, Skene, Skein family in that area. There are some Skeens in the Waco, TX area.

per page
  • Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions