Search for content in message boards

alfred harris warmsley South Africa

Replies: 19

Re: alfred harris warmsley South Africa

Posted: 10 Dec 2012 4:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Anthony,

My name is Kate Lee. I'm not part of your extended family, but I'm making a film about the life story of Lois Mahony, which involves about 4 hours of footage of her talking about her life and ancestry.

As a child in the 30's Lois, her parents and brothers Sandy and Rex went to Lymington in England to stay with Lois' Warmsley grandparents, Alfred and Anne. (They stayed 1 year with them then another 3 in London before returning to Tasmania).

Lois gave quite a detailed description her memories of Lymington and her grandparents. She also talked about Alfred's business in South Africa, which she thought had been a successful laundry (she didn't say anything about a farm). (She also mentioned that Alfred's leg was amputated after he fell from a tram and was run over). Her story was that a manager of the business imbezzled money while Alfred was holidaying in England, so everything was lost and the family returned to Lymington permanently.

Another interesting thing Lois said was that Anne Warmsley, who was Welsh, had a street in Capetown named after her. Lois said this name was Varney, which isn't consistent with the post that gave her maiden name as Atterbury. You will find a rather nice street called Varney's Rd on Streetview in Google maps. It is in Green Point, Capetown. Presumably it is the street they lived in, although Lois isn't sure, as she never went there.
There are some nice old houses in the street, and Lois had a memory of the name "Varney's Corner" which I thought might have been the name of the property. I sent an email to a B&B in the street called 'Varney's", thinking that could possibly have been the old house, but I received no reply.

Lois also is occasionally in contact with her two South African cousins, Betty and Valerie (both of whom Lois met as a child in Lymington).

In short, you should probably have a chat with Lois to glean some information for your family tree, and with her permission I'd be very glad to forward you a copy of her film, which should be finished in a few weeks. Of course Lois also talks a lot about her father Cyril, mother Muriel, and Sandy and Rex, which would interest you I'm sure.

Best wishes Anthony

Kate Lee

Meanwhile, if you have any photos of Alfred and Anne that I could use in the film I'd be very grateful, as Lois has none (although she has several of her Parker grandparents) My email address is katiecarrotlee@gmail.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
afryl kelly 13 Apr 2009 12:44PM GMT 
carmy_w 13 Apr 2009 1:13PM GMT 
afryl kelly 13 Apr 2009 3:57PM GMT 
katiecarrotle... 10 Dec 2012 11:31PM GMT 
carmy_w 13 Apr 2009 9:17AM GMT 
afryl kelly 13 Apr 2009 12:55PM GMT 
carmy_w 14 Apr 2009 11:27AM GMT 
afryl kelly 14 Apr 2009 1:41PM GMT 
carmy_w 15 Apr 2009 12:42PM GMT 
1_charlesduck... 12 Aug 2011 5:54PM GMT 
per page