Search for content in message boards

Looking for any Gidicans or Barsagas from Cebu, Philppines

Replies: 4

Re: Looking for any Gidicans or Barsagas from Cebu, Philppines

Posted: 19 Jul 2012 1:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Barsaga, Gidican, Gedican, Gidacan, Gidacon
I know all about his wife, he married in America to a Bertha Neimann from Grays harbor, WA. She passed away also so I wasn't able to see if she knew any more info.

Jose Gidican was born born April 20, 1888 in Cebu. The earliest record I could find of Jose Gidican (spelt Gidacan on the form) living in the U.S. is from a U.S. census in 1930 where he lived with another family as a "lodger" according to the document. This means Jose came to the U.S. sometime between his birth in 1888 and 1930.

There's a city directory from Bremerton, WA in 1934 that Jose is listed on with who I believe was his brother who came to the U.S. with him according to our family stories. His name is Ysidro Gidican (also spelt Ysidero, Gidacan, Gidacon on some government documents). The earliest record of Ysidro being in America is from a WWI Draft Card dated 1918. If it's true that they came together to the U.S. than that means they arrived sometime between Jose's birth in 1888 and 1918. However, on Ysidro's draft card there's a "closest family member" section and Ysidro listed a V. Barsaga in the Philippines. This would mean Jose wasn't in the U.S. at the time yet. So we're still unsure if the two actually came to the U.S. together or not. Jose didn't register with a draft card until WWII in 1942.

Jose's children are Richard (my grandfather), Raymond (deceased), Joseph "Sunny" (deceased), Carol Jean and Sharon Gidican. He also has two daughters who last names at birth were Gidican but they changed it back to Barsaga as adults - their names now are Judy and Victoria Barsaga. I think the "V. Barsaga" listed on Ysidro's Draft Card might be who my grandpa Jose named my aunt Victoria after...
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Brittany_G1 18 Jul 2012 11:33PM GMT 
jay_pm 19 Jul 2012 12:55PM GMT 
Brittany_G1 19 Jul 2012 7:21PM GMT 
jay_pm 23 Jul 2012 7:24PM GMT 
Brittany_G1 23 Jul 2012 8:44PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions