Search for content in message boards

Carrière House/La Carrière

Replies: 4

Carrière House/La Carrière

Michael de Gruchy Gribble (View posts)
Posted: 8 Sep 2000 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: de Gruchy, Le Couilliard, Romeril
I am interested in the number of members and descendants of these three families who migrated to Australia in the las half of the 1800s, almost all of whom settled in or near Melbourne, Victoria - on my present count there are at least six quite separate families who can trace their lineage back to one of these three Jersey names.

My Great-grandmother Amelia de Gruchy married twice, first to Jean Romeril, and then to her cousin Jean de Gruchy; she had one boy by each marriage, and both boys came out to Melbourne. Amelia's younger sister Sophy married George Le Couilliard, and at least 4 and possibly 5 of their 14 children migrated as well. Amelia's 2nd husband Jean de Gruchy had one brother who also came to Australia

The de Gruchy farm, La Carrière near Longueville in the parish of Grouville, was sold to George Le Cuoilliard about the time he married Sophy de Gruchy, and I wonder if anyone could tell me anything about the history of the farm and farmhouse, eg. how long it had been in the de Gruchy family, what previous owners it might have had, and who owns it now, its size and production figures, and any details which would help me to get a picture of the place and its development over the centuries.

I would be glad to hear from anyone who is also interested in the migration from Jersey to Australia in the 19th Century.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Michael de Gruchy Gribble 8 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT 
G 11 Jan 2003 4:09AM GMT 
Hjfalle 17 Feb 2012 11:29PM GMT 
dawber15 8 Oct 2013 6:26AM GMT 
jersey1234 17 Oct 2013 10:38AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions