Search for content in message boards

JAMES NORRIS HALL FORBES STUART

Replies: 27

Re: JAMES NORRIS HALL FORBES STUART

Posted: 1 Oct 2012 6:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Oct 2012 6:25PM GMT
My ancestor, James NHF Stuart, was not the same person as Norris Hall Forbes, son of James Forbes, based on the father who he named on his marriage certificate which was 'James Stuart'.

There were several Stuarts who lived in Bedfordshire / Suffolk who may have been relatives. It's possible that James NHF Stuart and Norris Hall Forbes were cousins. Norris Hall Forbes started a career in the army, whereas James NHF Stuart worked for shipping company/ies after qualifying as an accountant. It is possible that he worked for a Liverpool based shipping company. There were Stuarts living in Liverpool who were much involved in shipping, and I wonder if a relative offered him a position as ship's purser - just another thread for me to try to find out, as James NHF lived in Liverpool later in life in property owned by them. However this was not his own family who remained living in the south of England.

I have found that the name 'Norris' has come from the vicar of the local church, whose surname was 'Norris', which eliminates some researching at least!

I am awaiting a reply from a member who has added someone, possibly my ancestor to their tree. The trouble with the old practice of disowning and disinheriting is that no-one is aware the person existed after a generation or so, so my ancestor won't be added to many trees of relatives nowadays.

Thank you to everyone for your contributions - much appreciated.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
glenalison 22 Jul 2012 11:18PM GMT 
glenalison 22 Jul 2012 1:13AM GMT 
glenalison 22 Jul 2012 1:12AM GMT 
david11000 22 Jul 2012 8:18AM GMT 
glenalison 22 Jul 2012 11:29PM GMT 
david11000 23 Jul 2012 2:30AM GMT 
carobradford 24 Jul 2012 7:43AM GMT 
glenalison 2 Oct 2012 12:24AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions