Jesse WEBB and WEBB's of Black Country

Replies: 7

Jesse WEBB and WEBB's of Black Country

Posted: 7 Sep 2002 5:08AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Feb 2007 1:16PM GMT
Surnames: Woodall, Webb, Siviter
Dear all,

Maybe someone can help me (don't most messages start this way). By sheer chance I recently found something posted on the Rootsweb Staffordshire archive in 1999. Unfortunately the e-mail address of the original sender is no longer valid so I am making a general cry for help.

The old posting I found concerned Jesse Webb (I reproduce the mail below). My own mail continues after it.

Subject: [STS] Jesse Webb
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 19:44:31 +0100

Hello all
I'm trying to find the origins of a Jesse Webb, he was born c1813 at Mt.
Pleasant, Kingswinford according to census. His marriage cert to Emma Randle
20/6/1838 at Oldswinford, Worcs gives his fathers name as Richard who was a
nail factor at that time. Jesse went on to be a grocer, tea dealer, miller &
maltster and hop merchant at Stourbridge.

I'd be most grateful for any help,
Best wishes David Butler

I will explain my interest. My grandfather was Jesse John Webb, born the Hawne (Halesowen/Stourbridge) in 1906. His father was also Jesse John Webb and his mother was Annie (formerly Perks). This is all of my concrete information.

I know that there was a Jesse John Webb born in Stourbridge in 1873, the combination of name (not so usual) and place makes him likely to be my great grandfather (I am awaiting certificates that will help prove this). This would make him 33 at the birth of my grandfather, not an unlikely age.

Here is the leap of faith. My mother recalls a story that my grandfather's grandfather or great grandfather was the owner of a mill (or at least working with mills) in Stourbridge (possibly at stambermill) and that he sometimes used to ride to london on a horse. This last action sounds more that of a merchant than a miller but either way it fits the description in the 1999 posting. She is also fairly certain that the name Jesse had been used in her family before her father and grandfather.

So, putting two and two together (and adding a generation to get the dates right) I could easily Imagine this Jesse Web, married 1838, having a child soon after who then fathered a child Jesse John Webb in 1873, who was the father of my grandfather.

i.e.

The poster's Jesse Webb (b. 1818, m. 1838)
UNKNOWN WEBB (b.1840-1850 m.1860-1870
Jesse John Webb (b. 1873)
Jesse John Webb (b.1906)
Dorothey Janice Webb (b.1936)
Philip Woodall (me) (b.1966)

It is not such a crazy scenario so I was wondering anyone had any more information that could help me. I presently live in France so searching local archives is not an easy option.

Wishing you all the best

Philip Woodall
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
phil_woodall 7 Sep 2002 11:08AM GMT 
nathayes 10 Sep 2002 3:57PM GMT 
phil_woodall 10 Sep 2002 4:38PM GMT 
nathayes 10 Sep 2002 4:59PM GMT 
nathayes 10 Sep 2002 5:05PM GMT 
sharjam 18 Oct 2002 9:47PM GMT 
Woodallp 13 Nov 2002 9:33PM GMT 
dbutle_1 10 Feb 2007 11:27AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions