Search for content in message boards

SHEARHOD/SHERHOD/SHERROD

Replies: 26

Re: wildbore/wyldbore family

Posted: 22 Oct 2012 1:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Matthew Wyldbore lived in the Mansion House on Westgate, Peterborough, in those days Long Causeway did not exist, if fact the next house was that of the Vicar of St Johns Church. Matthew was out riding in the Fens when a fog descended, and Matthew lost his way. He was unsure of which way to go, and in those days a wrong turn would have landed him in the fen. Meanwhile the Vicar had noticed that Matthew had not returned and decidied to ring the church bell as a beacon in case he could hear it, which as we have been told he did, and found his way back home safely. On his death, as is recorded in his will, was a gift of land from which the rent would pay for a peal of bells to be rung on the anniversary of his death, this was paid to the bell ringers. The peal of bells is still rung today, and is known locally as "Wyldbore's Day". the only time the bells were not rung was during the war, when they used hand bells instead. I have checked this bequest, as it is listed in Matthews will, of which I have a copy.
I hope this is of use to you all.
Regards
Andy
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jlowe3370 30 Sep 2011 12:56AM GMT 
tonygibson_1 4 Mar 2012 10:07PM GMT 
Andy Wyldbore 5 Mar 2012 7:27PM GMT 
wyldbore 21 Oct 2012 7:04AM GMT 
jlowe3370 21 Oct 2012 11:08AM GMT 
jlowe3370 22 Oct 2012 5:24AM GMT 
Andy Wyldbore 22 Oct 2012 7:08PM GMT 
per page