Search for content in message boards

if England Census only goes up til 1901, how do you find anyone after 1901?

Replies: 22

Re: if England Census only goes up til 1901, how do you find anyone after 1901?

Posted: 16 Dec 2011 11:15AM GMT
Classification: Query
Lisa
Its about the 1911 census availablity.

The 1911 census has been available using Find My Past (FMP) (paid for service) for about a year. You have been able to put in a name (and maybe age) and it would show the instances of that in 1911 and the other censuses.
So on top of my subscription to Ancestry I've also beeen subscribing to FMP. Ancestry has been doing the census records from 1841 to 1901 for some years.

Ancestry have been catching up and a few months back made available the 1911 Enumerators summary listing which had the heads of households. I think also they had the images of the forms which the householders filled in but without a transcription there was no way to search for a person by name.

In the last few weeks Ancestry have put on their servers their transcriptions of those counties which I mentioned and so one can search by name for any people in those counties.

So in theory I could now (or shortly) discontinue my subscription to FMP and just use Ancestry. Not quite that simple though as the search engines in Ancestry and FMP work differently - so sometimes I can find things using FMP which would have been hard with Ancestry and vice verca. So as long as I can afford I may keep both.

There's also content differences. Ancestry is good for the Probate index from 1858 to 1940 and Military records like WW1 Pensions and FMP has sometings which Ancestry does not have. They are in competition for our money and keep trying to outdo each other for our custom. There's also Origins which I find very usefull for their Index of Wills - especially those at York.

FMP is owned by Brightsolid who recently brought out a database with British Newspapers. I expected it to be available to me with my FMP subscription but they have made it separate and so I'd have to fork out yet another Subscription. I think that's too greedy and I will not use it. Most of what they are offering is available for free through my local library anyway.

I also occasionally use Durham Records Online which is a pay per view and very useful if you want to see Parish records in that county.

Most of these services offer free trials and you may wish to try them. Also you may be able to access Ancestry by visiting your local library. I undrestand quite a few have taken out subscriptions which you can use within the Library.

Bryan
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
sccond 16 Dec 2011 12:32PM GMT 
BryanHoggarth 16 Dec 2011 6:15PM GMT 
sccond 15 Dec 2011 7:10PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions