Search for content in message boards

Prison in St Faith or St Thomas, Hampshire

Replies: 1

Prison in St Faith or St Thomas, Hampshire

Posted: 26 Nov 2012 7:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have an ancestor who was sentenced 04 Apr 1870 to 2 years prison for stealing sheep and is an inmate appearing twice in the 1871 census: 1) described as St. Faith, Hampshire, County Prison 2) described as St. Thomas, Hampshire, District Prison. Looking at the census images, it appears this is the same prison, as the images are identical down to the marks made later in the census review by authorities.

Does anyone have an idea why the prison would be indexed by 2 different names? These were acquired via Ancestry.com, so perhaps it is just error on their part?

Also, I'm interested to know how the distance between the prison and where the inmate's wife and children living in St. Thomas parish, Fair Oak, Bishopstoke in the 1871 census.

No occupation is given for the wife and eldest child (female, 16), however, so I'm curious how they were able to stay out of the poorhouse. Prisoner was identified in the prison census as a butcher, but previous and subsequent census records show him as farmer, market gardener, farm laborer, and general laborer, none of which suggest earnings/savings sufficient to support wife and 3 children for very long.

I've been unable to get any history on the prison via the internet, so if anyone knows of a good website for history and commentary about the prison at that time, I'd be very grateful to get the website link.

Any insight/thoughts would be appreciated.
Sandi from Michigan
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
hartnells 27 Nov 2012 2:25AM GMT 
ivorex 27 Nov 2012 2:57PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic