Search for content in message boards

Allen - Robert John - Durham England

Replies: 2

Allen - Robert John - Durham England

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 3:56AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: ALLEN
hi, does any one have any suggestions as to how I can find out when my great grandfather, Robert John Allen was released from H M Prison Maidstone Kent?
I have read some newspaper clippings stating that he was accused of murdering his boss Charles Lowes in Durham in July 1904, charge lessened to manslaughter and was sentenced to 20 years penal servitude. I know that he was released early as he was married in 1921 and immigrated to Australia in 1923. I do know that he was still incarcerated in 1911 according to the census record.
Trial was before Justice Grantham in the Crown Court of Durham Assizes on the 19th July 1904 I believe.
I am assuming that he was not sentenced to Durham Prison as his father, James Allen was prison warder her during this period.
Would also love to have a copy of any records that may be held regarding this, but don't know where to search!
I live in Australia so if anyone can assist, your help would be most appreciated!
thanks,
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
sheclomeg 20 Jan 2013 10:56AM GMT 
susan2670 20 Jan 2013 12:08PM GMT 
sheclomeg 20 Jan 2013 10:11PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions