Search for content in message boards

Vicar Thomas Compton, Sutton Valance, Kent 1500-1600's

Replies: 4

Vicar Thomas Compton, Sutton Valance, Kent 1500-1600's

Posted: 8 Jan 2006 2:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Compton, Bigley, Brady, Voss
I am researching my direct ancestors and I am able to trace my direct line to Thomas Compton, Sutton Valance, Kent County, England and I hope someone is able to provide more information about Thomas, his family and his ancestors. The Thomas Compton information I have is:

Thomas Compton
d. 29 Apr 1606, Kent County, England

I have a copy of his will. Thomas Compton was the vicar (preacher-church diplomat) of Sutton and Sutton Valance in Kent County, England. I understand that Kent County was a "hotbed" of Puritan beliefs at this time. This is a current translation of his will as written:

“I Thomas Compton Vicare of Sutton Vallence together with the Chappall of East Sutton annexed being sicke in body but sound in mynde and of perfect memory, Thanks be unto God, unto Jesus Christ, doe make and ordaine my las Will and Testament in the manner and forme as followeth:

ffirst I Bequeath my soule to God the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ that Hath bought it with a deare price even the blood of his only begotten sonne, that tooke flesh of the Virgine Mary for the redemption of his people, which God I have served all the days of my life, though not so as I should yet ? in the gospel of his son whom I have ? and ?? whom I look for mercye to eternall life att the last day. In body and soule as now ? Iook to have my soule, by his holly angels carried up to heaven to ? rest from my labours next I bequeath my body to be buried in the ? of Sutton Vallence. Ffor my good which ?? I dispose thus-

1st I give my daughter Mary the wife of one John Barnsbridge (or could it be Brigden as in a relative of John Compton that migrated along with him to New England, Colonies?), fortnight after my deceased ? her portion she hath already, secondly I give to my eldest son Redeemed after my buriall my bootes and all my apparel. Saving my ??? which I leave to my wife. I give to my daughter Crescens Compton presently after my burial for a small token five shilling six pence in a a littell piece of gould as much to my daughter Anna in a piece of silver. All the rest of moveables without and within I give to my wife fro the bringing upp of my youngest son John Compton whatsoever I ? in ? or otherwise ? my detts being payd ??? She shall have im my booke of Accounts ? well is due to me as owing to others. I make her my sole executor and so God bless my children to ?? I ? them hoping he will be an helper to my wife and a father to them. And her I end my last will and testament dated the 22 of Marche 1605 and ??? myne owne and seale in the presence of John Peckherst, Robert Sharpe signed Thomas Compton

Approved was this testament of Thomas Compton ? of Sutton Vallance ?? died twenty ninth day month April in the year of our Lord 1606 in the presence of wife.”

I believe his son John Compton migrated to the Colonies and below is information on my U. S. direct ancestors:

John Compton

b. abt. 1603, Cranneboro, Kent County, England
m. Susannah Freeman
d. before 1652, Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts

On April 17, 1635 Rachel (Martin) Bigge, accompanied by her daughter, Patience Bigge Foster, and her grandson Hopestill Foster, embarked for New England on the ELIZABETH and settled at Dorchester, Massachusetts, where they became members of the church between August 23, 1636 and Nov 4, 1639. Another daughter, Elizabeth Bigge Stowe, wife of John Stowe, had arrived in New England with her husband and children May 17, 1634 and settled at Roxbury, Massachusetts. Many other relatives of the Bigge family also joined in the migration to the New World, including, James and Clement Bate, William Batchelor and his wife, JOHN COMPTON, and others. John Compton may have been an indentured servant when he arrived, or he may have arrived as a "freeman". JOHN COMPTON, Roxbury, Massachusetts, freeman, September 3, 1634 had wife Susanna, in recorded church records spelled Cumpton, and also in the list of freeman; removed to Boston, was disarmed with the majority in 1637. His daughter Abigail, married January 30, 1652 to Joseph Brisco, but the father was probably dead though his widow lived to November 1664.

John Compton migrated from Kent County, England to Roxbury Mass before 1634 and possibly went to Maryland before 1654. John was one of the grantees for a large section of land deeded by Indian Chief Wehanowit on April 13, 1638 in the vicinity of Roxbury, Massachusetts. John was admitted to membership in the Boston, Massachusetts Church in 1642. His son and my direct U.S. descendents:

John Compton
b. abt. 1629, England ?
m. Mary Clarke, abt. 1654, Charles County, Maryland
d. 1718, Charles County, Maryland

Mathew Compton
b. 1671, Charles County, Maryland
m. Susannah Briscoe, abt. 1700, Charles County, Maryland
d. 9 Aug 1747, Charles County, Maryland

Mathew Compton
b. 26 Jun 1709, Charles County, Maryland
m. Rachel Howard, Abt. 1733
d. 4 Mar 1770, St. Mary's County, Maryland

Rachel Howard is a descendent of the grandparents of cousins Ann Boleyn and Catherine Howard who were wives of King Henry VIII

Mathew Compton
b. 31 Dec 1746, St. Mary's County, Virginia
m. unknown
d. 11 Jan 1809, Culpepper county, Virginia

William Mathew Compton
b. 17 Nov 1778, Culpepper, Maryland
m. Nancy Vaughn, 23 Dec 1806, Culpepper County, Virginia
d. 1 Jan 1854, Rock Island, Tennessee

Howard Wilson Compton
b. 1815, Culpepper County, Virginia
m. Mary Cantrell, 1839, Warren County, Tennessee
d. 12 Nov 1876, Golden Pond, Trigg County, Kentucky

Richard Pinkney Compton
b. 1853, Warren County, Tennessee
m. Mary Josephine Ross, 23 Nov 1876, Trigg County, Kentucky
d. Arkansas

James Oscar Compton
b. 22 Apr 1884, Golden Pond, Trigg County, Kentucky
m. Beatrice Spears and Christena Voss
d. 26 Jun 1962, Wendell, Gooding County, Idaho

If anyone has any information or corrections regarding the family and ancestors of Sutton Valance, Kent County Vicar Thomas Compton, I’d greatly appreciate it! Please contact me at my e-address listed below.

Thank you.

Nancy L. Compton
NLCOMPTON@RMCI.NET
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
nlcompton78 8 Jan 2006 9:32PM GMT 
Lewis Compton 16 Feb 2006 8:40PM GMT 
Nancy Compton 25 Feb 2006 8:41PM GMT 
sperong 7 Sep 2014 10:48PM GMT 
sperong 7 Sep 2014 10:54PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic