Search for content in message boards

Lunatic asylums in Manchester at the turn of the century... Family mystery

Replies: 6

Lunatic asylums in Manchester at the turn of the century... Family mystery

Posted: 24 Jan 2005 11:08AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Barnes
Hello there

I'm starting to piece together the background to a family mystery that took place in Manchester/Salford. My grandmother remembers being told by her father that her own religious views should be tempered, "in case the same happens to her as happened to his own aunts". All he would say is that they were locked away for 'religious mania'. He wouldn't even tell my grandma their names, it was such an issue. I've now managed to find their names, thanks to the online census pages and birthdates, and in 1901 they were living together as spinsters. Some time after this, they were sectioned, but I'm trying to work out where I need to start in order to find anything out about them. A phone call to the Manchester Records Office today revealed that the hospital/asylum they would most likely have been sent to would have been Prestwich.

Does anyone have any similar experiences, of trying to find relatives that for one reason or another have ended up in an asylum? How did you find them?

FYI, the names of the two sisters were Rose Ann Barnes and Elizabeth Barns, aged 36 and 34 in 1901, living in Norway Street, Pendleton, Salford. I feel my first step must be to find their death certificates, but any further advice would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards

Ben
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
benjamesricha... 24 Jan 2005 6:08PM GMT 
xxxCarole5207 24 Jan 2005 10:51PM GMT 
Whartontn 24 Jan 2005 11:32PM GMT 
benjamesricha... 25 Jan 2005 8:06PM GMT 
sylvia11778 5 Aug 2012 4:39PM GMT 
hrawcliffe 8 Aug 2012 6:54PM GMT 
gordandnancy 22 Aug 2012 1:30AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic