Search for content in message boards

Brick Wall - Ideas Please

Replies: 5

Brick Wall - Ideas Please

Posted: 19 Aug 2011 6:57AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Mooney, Jones
I have come to a bit of a brick wall researching my Great Great Grandmother Margaret Mooney.
I know the following:
She married John Jones in 1897, her age is listed as 30 and her father is listed as John Mooney, a tailor. I have found her on 1901 and 1911 censuses. She gives her place of birth as Paddington. I believe I have found her on the 1891 census working as a domestic servant, unfortunately this gives no clue as to her family. She died around 1950-53.
So here are my issues in tracing her: There is no suitable entry on freebmd/ancestry for her birth. I cannot find anyone on the censuses that corresponds in 1881 or 1871. I am not sure exactly when she died or where her death would have been registered and as Margaret Jones is a very common name I cannot justify ordering lots of certificates so I cannot see if a different age was listed there.
I feel something is not right, her age, her place of birth, her name, her fathers occupation or maybe all of them! This would not be the first time that one of my ancestors has fibbed about something to make themselves look better! There are Margaret Mooney's with different fathers names and different ages that could be possibilities but I do not want to pursue wild goose chases!
Now the only way forward at the moment that I can see is to go and look at the parish records for Paddington and around that area and see if I come up with something as I know not all births were registered at this time.
Has anyone else got any other ideas? Its very frustrating that someone who only died 60 years ago is proving so elusive!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ameliamarden 19 Aug 2011 12:57PM GMT 
Ron Lankshear 19 Aug 2011 8:06PM GMT 
ameliamarden 19 Aug 2011 11:12PM GMT 
Ron Lankshear 20 Aug 2011 1:31AM GMT 
ameliamarden 18 Jun 2013 10:23AM GMT 
ameliamarden 18 Jun 2013 10:25AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions