Search for content in message boards

Tracing My Convict Ancestors

Replies: 5

Re: Tracing My Convict Ancestors

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 10:24AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Cath,

Thanks for your reply. I posted my question on a couple of other ancestry sites and received this reply from someone:-

'If you search in the 19th Century British Library Newspapers or the subscription site British Newspaper Archive for "Albert Sandell" you will find a reference to a hearing at the Thames Police Court of 'Albert Sandell, 29, a married man, of 12, Annabel-street, Poplar' on a serious charge (details are given but I won't post them here: be warned that they are most unpleasant). (Reynolds's Newspaper, 30 December 1900). The article refers to him having been awarded a medal for saving lives in the 'Albion' disaster.

The magistrates 'committed the defendant, who denied the charge, to the sessions for trial.' As the trial must have been in 1901 it is too late for the 19th Century newspapers website.'

I have looked the article up and it's not very nice, but unless it's a complete coincidence it would seem that this is Albert Ernest Sandell in Wormwood Scrubs. However, I do need to try to find out more before I make assumptions. The court he was tried at was the Thames Police Court, so I need to find out if there are any records for this court and time period anywhere. Thanks ever so much for your help. All the best
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
LyneeTaylor 31 Oct 2012 10:31PM GMT 
cathnoble 2 Nov 2012 5:41PM GMT 
LyneeTaylor 3 Nov 2012 4:24PM GMT 
cathnoble 4 Nov 2012 3:09PM GMT 
infosending1 23 Dec 2012 1:47PM GMT 
LyneeTaylor 23 Dec 2012 11:42PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions