Search for content in message boards

Researching London Businesses/Workers

Replies: 2

Researching London Businesses/Workers

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 5:13AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gough
Hi,

My trail of ancestors has led me to a family living in 1850, in Rawstorne Street, near Finchley in London (Charles Gough, 35 Rawstorne Street). On the 1851 census the family are all involved in the clothing trade, with the Father being a Tailor, the Mother a Dressmaker and the eldest daughter being a Shoebinder (someone who prepares the parts of a shoe - in the 1850s, probably for machining).

I've started to look at trade directories, but I can't find any mention of the family, so should I assume that they were employed by a company? If so, is there any way of finding out which company that was?

Reading up on Rawstorne Street, there was clothing manufacture in the street, but that was apparently after 1890: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=119426#s...

Really grateful for any advice or pointers. After getting comfortable with researching my ancestors through census and BMD records, I'm now keen to take it to the next level and find out much more about them, where they worked and how they lived.

Thanks,

Andy.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Andrew Dudley 4 Jan 2013 12:13PM GMT 
cathnoble 11 Jan 2013 12:32PM GMT 
nannyjacks 13 Jan 2013 2:19PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic