Search for content in message boards

Henry Winchester Elliott

Replies: 4

Henry Winchester Elliott

Posted: 29 May 2013 5:02AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Elliott, Ward, Coates
I am seeking information about the early life and family background of Henry Winchester Elliott.
He spent most of his adult life in Chewton, Victoria, Australia with his partner, Charlotte Mary Ward, originally from South Otterington in Yorkshire. I have a death certificate for one of their children, Edgar, which places them in Chewton in 1861. Certificates for subsequent children contain contradictory information about the "marriage" of Henry and Charlotte. On one certificate it is recorded that they married at St. James, Kensington, London on Feb.1, 1852 or 1854 (the writing is difficult to decipher). Another certificate records that they married in 1853 in London, whilst a third claims that they were married in Maryborough, Victoria. Any records which give information about Henry's birth suggest he was born about 1831 in London, England. He was a carpenter and a miner. His father is claimed to be Henry Elliott, a carpenter, and his mother is recorded as Esther Coates. I have been unable to locate records for the passage to Australia of Henry and Charlotte, either individually or as a couple.
I would be very grateful for any leads or assistance, particularly in relation to Henry's English origins. I am also interested in the significance of the name, "Winchester".
Many thanks,
Julie
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
JulieGleeson5... 29 May 2013 11:02AM GMT 
kobieharris1 29 May 2013 2:55PM GMT 
JulieGleeson5... 1 Jun 2013 3:38AM GMT 
kobieharris1 1 Jun 2013 9:54AM GMT 
JulieGleeson5... 1 Jun 2013 11:08AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions