Search for content in message boards

The Montrose Mystery

Replies: 4

The Montrose Mystery

Posted: 15 Jun 2013 1:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Jun 2013 8:29PM GMT
Surnames: Montrose, Clark, Montriou, Montrion
Hello all, I'm looking for information on my late great-grandfather's grandmother Florence "Florrie" Montrose, specfically with regards to her ancestry. Before the birth of her son Albert in 1887, and her marriage about a year later to Charles Frederick Clark, who may or may not have been Albert's biological father, she doesn't seem to have existed.

She was supposedly born circa 1864, according to her marriage record; both the 1901 and 1911 England Census give her birth place as Bayswater, London, and they had her as being age 36 and 46, respectively, so she would have been born some time between early April and late August of 1864. She married Charles Frederick Clark on August 23rd 1888 in Camberwell. According to their marriage certificate, at the time of their marriage Florrie was living at 12 Worlingham Road, East Dulwich, and Charles, a "Commercial Traveller", was living at 8 Goodrich Road, East Dulwich. Florrie's father was listed as one Robert Montrose, a solicitor, deceased.

Florrie and Charles had four children: 1. Albert George Clark (born Albert George Montrose), born circa 1887 in Camberwell; 2. Florence Ellen Clark (my great-great-grandmother), born September 30th 1889 in East Dulwich, married Roland Briscoe, died August 27th 1972 in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada; 3. Charles Frederick Clark, born circa 1894 in Camberwell, died circa 1896 in Camberwell; and 4. Dorothy 'Hilda' Clark, born circa 1899 in Southend-on-Sea, Essex, married Henry Evans.

The thing is, Florrie doesn't seem to exist before her marriage. I have not been able to locate her on any census records prior to 1901 (though from what I know the 1891 England Census records for Camberwell are iffy - I've had difficulties locating others as well), nor have I been able to find a birth record for her. Searches for Robert Montrose and any other Montroses that may be related have turned up absolutely nothing. My only guess as to why is that Montrose may have been an alias, or perhaps an anglicization of a non-English name.

While I was doing some research on another part of my great-grandfather's family, I came across a solicitor named Charles Montrion, who was enumerated on the same 1841 England Census page opposite some of my relatives. Naturally the slight similarity between Montrion and Montrose, and the fact that Charles was a solicitor, piqued my interest. The Montrion family (or Montriou, actually, which was shortened from Montriou de Longchamps) produced several solicitors and also some navalmen. Now, according to my grandmother, my great-grandfather had said that his mother Florence, Florrie's daughter, had a number of relatives that were in the navy, and as the Clarks had none it stands to reason that the navalmen were on the Montrose side (however, my great-grandfather's father and a number of his relatives had been in the navy, so I suppose it could just be that the information has been diluted). Some of the Montrious/Montrions lived in India, which would explain why I'm not able to find anything on Robert.

Anyway, that's one of my theories, but unfortunately I have no documents, no nothing to support it or anything else at all, so if anyone has any information or suggestions, I'm all ears.

Cheers,
Ryan Williams
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Ryan Williams 15 Jun 2013 7:28AM GMT 
kobieharris1 15 Jun 2013 9:42AM GMT 
Ryan Williams 15 Jun 2013 10:54PM GMT 
jonwarrn 17 Jun 2013 6:43PM GMT 
Ryan Williams 20 Jun 2013 5:14AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions