Search for content in message boards

higginbottom

Replies: 3

Re: higginbottom

Posted: 7 Nov 2012 8:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Im using my Uncles Account, but Im also an Ancestor of Matthew Higginbottom, Matthew Higginbottom and Sarah Louisa Howard would be my Grand Mothers GREAT Grand parents. Matthew and Sarah's son Nathanial is my Grand Mother (Lillian Agnes Hanniver)her Grand Father.

This is the information that I have so far on my Ancestor Matthew Higginbottom

b. Aug 17 1791
Irlam o`th Heights, Pendleton, Manchester, Lancashire, England
d. Sep 29 1877
Clerkenwell, London, UK
e. Burial
Abney Park Cemetary, London. Burial/062083a Section H08 Index 2S13
e. Census
1841, Matthew Higginbottom, Tailor, b. out of county, living King Street, Bloomsbury, Londo
e. Residence
St George Bloomsbury, Middlesex, England
m. HOWARD, Sarah L.

d. Mar 1862

About HIGGINBOTTOM, Matthew
Source: Father Higginbottom - The open-air preacher and Methodist Class Leader, a short memoir of Mr.Matthew Higginbottom, fifty years a Class Teacher in the Wesleyan Methodist Society, Great Queen Street, Lincoln's Inn Fields, during which time he laboured zealously as open-air preacher and visitor to the sick and afflicted.

Born 15 August 1791 at Irlams o'the Heights, Pendleton, Manchester. He was the eldest son, his father's name Matthew, also a Tailor. Matthew left home at 21 moved about country working as Tailor.

Joined his Majesty's 29th Regiment as Master Tailor, stationed in France then based in Limerick, Ireland. At 33 years old in Tralee, County Kerry joined Weslyan Chapel. First wife died after 6 years. Moved to 69th Regiment, stationed on Isle of Wight, in 1826 stationed at Portsmouth, then stationed in Tower of London. Caught preaching as Wesleyan Methodist and imprisoned in Tower of London, threatened with flogging, so bought himself out of the army and moved into Exmouth Street, Clerkenwell. Continued to earn his living by tailoring.

Married Sarah Howard about 1830. They had 10 children. Matthew continued working as a Preacher in particular at the Great Queen Street Chapel. He also toured the country as preacher including, Durham, Worksop, Isle of Man, and Wolverhampton. He was a regular visitor and befriender at the St. Pancreas Workhouse. Matthew witnessed Martha Higginbottoms wedding in 1856. Sarah his wife died in 1862 and is buried at Abney Park Cemetary.
Matthew died on 29th September 1877 and was buried on 4th October, 1877 also at Abney Park Cemetary.

Thats all the infomration I have so far, please feel free to contact me via tracewashington@gmail.com as this is NOT my account but my Uncles account as my account is now expired.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Ann McDonald 25 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Lisa Beaini 2 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT 
janecmalins 1 May 2002 9:50PM GMT 
CraigdReid 8 Nov 2012 3:24AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions