Search for content in message boards

Wood in Highbury/Islington area

Replies: 50

Wood in Highbury/Islington area

Posted: 7 Dec 2000 5:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Jun 2001 3:59PM GMT
Surnames: Allen, Bain, Bellamy, Buchanan, Burrell, Burton, Chevenix, Christopeson, Collingridge, Colvin, Cornford, Crosby, Cruikshank, de la Cour, Elliot, Gaunt, Harkness, Hazelton, Hezaltine, Jones, Knight, London, MacArthur, McKenzie, Miller, Milne, Pearson, Randall, Randell, Reynolds, Ridley, Stokes, Taunton, Taylor, Taylor, Trent, Vaughan, Walker, Williams, Wilmer, Wood
I am trying to contact people connected with this Wood family, who were mostly coal and lime merchants in the Islington area of London/Middlesex. One of the Wood daughters married a cousin of mine, and their daughter (Ruth Collingridge, 1885 - 1969) did a great deal of research in the 1950s and 60s into her Wood relations as well as doing an enormous amount on the Collingridges. She had no children herself, and I now have all that information and no-one to give it to. Ruth's research has been such a help to me that I feel I ought to try to give something back to the Woods.

Key people are:
Thomas Wood (1788 - 1884). Son of Thomas Wood. Married Sarah Jones and Martha Jones (related?).
James London (1793 - 1864). Son of Joseph London. Married Maria Reynolds.
William Wood (1817 - 1869). Son of Thomas Wood above. Married:
Maria London (1822 - aft 1881). Daughter of James London above.

There are too many other individuals to mention, but here is a list of surnames of their descendants as far as I know them:

Wood (of course)
Allen
Bain
Buchanan
Cornford
Crosby
Cruikshank
Elliot
Hazelton (poss Hezaltine)
Knight
MacArthur
Miller
Pearson
Taylor
Taylor
Vaughan
Williams
Wilmer

Other names connected with the family are:
Bellamy
Burrell
Burton
Chevenix
Christopeson (Danish)
Collingridge
Colvin
de la Cour
Gaunt
Harkness
Jones
London
McKenzie (something to do with Epping Forest)
Milne
Randall (Randell?)
Reynolds
Ridley
Stokes
Taunton
Trent
Walker

Sorry for the long lists of names, but there are over 200 people in the Wood tree overall.

Many of the men seem to have been members of the "Worshipful Company of Skinners" - however I have no information about this body. Was it a guild perhaps?
Many of the descendants went to Australia and other places.

Please let me know if you think you might be related to these people.

Richard Collingridge

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Richard_Colli... 7 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT 
RVDruce 12 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Richard_Colli... 13 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT 
mickdavy 22 Sep 2013 4:56AM GMT 
Kevin Reynolds 19 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Richard_Colli... 20 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT 
MARK FOX 8 May 2001 12:00PM GMT 
katie woodlock 5 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT 
Richard_Colli... 6 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT 
rjkaw 12 Jan 2004 4:47AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions