Search for content in message boards

WW2 births at Suntrap Maternity Home High Beach Loughton Essex

Replies: 21

Re: WW2 births at Suntrap Maternity Home High Beach Loughton Essex

Posted: 12 Jun 2012 2:11AM GMT
Classification: Query
Many thanks John. Especially for the name check.
Being retired myself I find the time to regularly check the internet for any incoming messages - hence the speed of reply.

Here's something that is available via a webpage below. It's a record of an Epping Forest D.C. newsletter and on Page 12 carries an article about the Suntrap. That is the only printed source so far discovered.
web address: Type, or copy & paste into usual browser box or ask guidance. Not the google search box though.
http://www.eppingforestdc.gov.uk/Library/files/Forester/Fore...

I shall be posting this morning a copy of the booklet. It was produced by the recent past (but still much alive & kicking) founder of the 'new' Suntrap Education Centre, Ken Hoy, MBE.
He is president of the Friends' of Epping Forest of which I co-host distribution of their newsletter.
Ken IS the authority about the site and his booklet was produced in 1980's when all information was then up to date.

Since then with the access becoming available to census data, the Suntrap, opened in 1895 when built for the "Baring sisters" (of the famous 'Bank' name), it has produced many other details from the 1901 & 1911 census records. It is this information I will endeavour to complete soon and distribute to those who have fed through their contact details (postal that is) to the Rootsweb topic.

One item to record for your family history.
The reason why mothers-to-be were relocated to Epping Essex is obvious because of London bombing and that it was already established as a cottage hospital (those types were summarily commandered during the pre WW2 plans for such. However, it has since been noted that most, if not all of the mothers were under the jurisdiction of the 'Plaistow Maternity Hospital', West Ham. So anybody within that borough registered during the 1939-41 etc evacuation plans and beyond to 1944 V weapon era, would have been sent to Suntrap for their confinements.

I have photo of the current site and can send images direct to any email address.

best regards, Keith
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
dickiehay 22 Nov 2011 10:46AM GMT 
jennybel4 6 Nov 2011 8:31PM GMT 
carylreeves 11 Jun 2012 3:09PM GMT 
kfoster308 11 Jun 2012 5:30PM GMT 
carylreeves 11 Jun 2012 9:36PM GMT 
kfoster308 12 Jun 2012 8:11AM GMT 
gregpasco 11 Jul 2012 10:02AM GMT 
1kathyrivard 14 Feb 2013 6:12PM GMT 
kfoster308 14 Feb 2013 10:55PM GMT 
sylviaalsop 15 Jun 2013 2:14PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions