Brown Baptism - one son or two?

Replies: 4

Brown Baptism - one son or two?

Posted: 16 Jan 2012 5:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 16 Jan 2012 5:59PM GMT
Surnames: BROWN, MILMOTH, STOKES
Hi there

I am looking into the Brown side of my family from Greenwich, London and also surrounding areas like Lambeth and Southwark and have come across something I need help with, I'll try to give as much info here as possible to see if anyone has any insight, Brown's a pretty popular name, bear with me here!

My GG Grandfather Leonard Brown's (abt 1869) father was David George Brown (baptised 1844), married to Frances Charlotte Thomas.

David George's father was David Abel Brown (b.1819, Gravesend Kent) and his mother was Maria Stokes.

Now this is where it gets slightly confusing...

David Abel Brown(distinctive name) married Maria Stokes in 1839. They appear to have had a child around 1840, as per the baptism records from St Mary's Lambeth, found on familysearch.org and Ancestry called:
George William James Champion Brown or
George James William Campion Brown

David Abel and Maria are found in 1841 living with Sarah and William Brown, David Abel's parents, and, also baby George.

Then there is a second baptism record in 1844 at St Alphege's Greenwich, for David George. But there is a note to say David George was born in 1840.

My first assumption was 2 sons, born close together, but I'm really struggling to find any records of George James William Campion or variants on that name.

David George is also found in 1851 still living with his grandparents. Still no sign of George James, I also cant find any death records. Could they be the same child baptised twice, at different churches, in different names?

To add credence to this, it seems quite possible that Maria left her child, based on this court document link that I found online: http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/print.jsp?div=t18471025 (find the word 'Abel' on the page)

David Abel remarried once(bigamously) when the child/children were only young in 1846, then went to prison for a few months and by 1851 was living with another almost-wife Jane (he seems to have married her eventually in 1859).

But most interestingly is the statement from William Brown, David Abel's father, where he says Maria left 'her husband and child'. Singular.

I can find neither Maria with or without George James/William or any records of him dying.

So did she take one child with her or are they one and the same? I thought perhaps the grandparents baptised David George once they were caring for him? But I really can't understand why you'd change a 5 year old's name?

Anyway, sorry this is so long! But hopefully I've provided enough info!

All help appreciated,
Charlotte
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
charlottesowe... 17 Jan 2012 12:53AM GMT 
carobradford 17 Jan 2012 8:02AM GMT 
charlottesowe... 24 Jan 2012 4:21PM GMT 
carobradford 24 Jan 2012 5:52PM GMT 
charlottesowe... 2 Feb 2013 9:53PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic