Search for content in message boards

Surname WEST - Norfolk, England

Replies: 2

Surname WEST - Norfolk, England

Posted: 11 Nov 2012 12:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 12 Nov 2012 7:41AM GMT
Surnames: West, Williams, Williamson, Boyce
Okay it is official I need some help...here is my issue in tracking my family tree..I am siding on the balance of probability and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated by anyone who is better versed and experienced in researching family trees.

My grandfather Mellvern Ernest Boyce (Toronto Canada) father is William Ernest West (born Norfolk England)- confused that he used his wifes Alice Emmeline Boyce surname, is it common to take the wifes name and in what circumstances would this happen?

I found a birth certificate of a William E. West born Nov 9, 1881 (Norfolk, England) and it notes father as Edmund West and mother as Anne Elizabeth Williams.

But my confusion starts as I can not find any information with these two - but did find a marriage of Edmund West to Anne Elizabeth Williamson (St.Stephens). Found records to suggest a son born to them in 1879 and sadly Edmund dying in 1883 at the age of 26. The is a high probability that they could have had a another son in 1881.

So could the birth certificate be missing two letters (Williams vs Williamson)...? Does anyone have any information that could assist me....

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
pboyce94 11 Nov 2012 7:49PM GMT 
crusoe123 12 Nov 2012 9:10PM GMT 
pboyce94 14 Nov 2012 12:58AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions