FLOWERDEW family that lived in Erpingham norfolk..Also COOPER family

Replies: 10

Re: FLOWERDEW family that lived in Erpingham norfolk..Also COOPER family

Posted: 22 Dec 2013 3:56PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 23 Dec 2013 7:54AM GMT
Surnames: Cooper, Gaff,
Hello Carly,

Records indicate that your grandfather Jack Cooper was Alfred J. Cooper. He would be the son of Royal William James Cooper and Olive Gaff. I located the marriage index for Royal W J Cooper and Olive Gaff at the FreeBMD website, showing their marriage was recorded in the Aylsham Registration District for the December quarter of 1913. Their marriage record can be found in Volume 4b, Page 267 of the GRO registers:

Marriage December Quarter 1913

Royal W J Cooper

Olive Gaff

Registration District: Aylsham

Volume: 4b

Page: 267
____

The marriage record for Royal and Olive should tell you the names and occupations of their fathers.

I next looked for the civil birth indexes for your grandfather and any other Cooper children born in Norfolk whose mother’s maiden name was Gaff. I found the indexes for 14 children, five whose births were recorded in the Aylsham Registration District and nine in the St. Faiths (Norfolk) Registration District. I can’t tell from the indexes alone if all these children shared the same parents, or if another Cooper and Gaff couple had children at the same time as Royal and Olive. One of the indexes is for Alfred J. Cooper. The children were born between the years 1914 and 1936. If all these children belonged to the same family, the oldest Cooper child born in 1914 would have been 22 years old when the youngest was born in 1936.

The Cooper children, and the years their births were recorded are: Olive I (1914); Royal W (1915); Albert J (1917); Pearl E. (1919); Dorothy L. (1921); Miriam G (1922); Richard J. (1923); Ralph E. (1925); Evelyn B (1927); Geoffrey A (1928); Betty J (1930); Eric R (1932); Harold G (1934); and Lois A (1936).

Below is the civil birth index for Alfred J. Cooper, as I suspect he was your grandfather. His birth was recorded in the Aylsham Registration District for the September quarter of 1917. His birth record can be found in Volume 4b, Page 107 of the GRO registers:

Birth September Quarter 1917

Albert J Cooper

Mother's Maiden Name: Gaff

Page: 107
____

Carly, if you want to order the birth certs for any of Albert’s siblings, access their birth indexes at the FreeBMD website using their years of birth from the dates found in the list of Cooper children above. You’ll then have the Volume and Page Number where their births are located in the GRO registers, and then be able to apply for their birth records from the GRO in Southport.

Next I looked for Royal Cooper in the 1911 census and found him. The census shows he was 30 years old, single, and a farmer. His birthplace is Themelthorpe. He is in the household of his older brother, 32 year old John Cooper, also a farmer and also born in Themelthorpe. The address of the household is Bawdeswell, East Dereham.

Also in the household are two younger siblings of John and Royal. They too were born in Themelthorpe. They are 27 year old Lily Cooper, a companion helper; and 25 year old Ann Cooper, a housekeeper.

The transcription of the 1911 census from Ancestry.com is below:

1911 England Census

Civil Parish: Bawdeswell and Foxley
County/Island: Norfolk

Street Address: Bawdeswell Est Dereham, Dereham, Norfolk

Registration District: Mitford
Registration District Number: 232
Sub-registration District: Bawdeswell

ED, institution, or vessel: 1
Household Schedule Number: 54
Piece: 11509

Name, Relation to Head of Household, Age Last Birthday, Sex, Marital Status, Number Years Married, Number Children Born Alive, Children Still Living, Children Who Have Died, Occupation, Industry or
Service, Employer, Worker, or Own Account, Where Born

John Cooper, Head, 32, Male, Single, Farmer, Own acct, Norfolk Themelthorpe
Royal Cooper, Brother, 30, Male, Single, Farmer, Own acct, Norfolk Themelthorpe
Lily Cooper, Sister. 27, Female, Single, Companion Help, Worker, Norfolk Themelthorpe
Anna Cooper, Sister, 25, Female, Single, House Keeper, Worker, Norfolk Themelthorpe

Source Citation: Class: RG14; Piece: 11509; Schedule Number: 54.
____

I then went back in time to the 1901 census to see if Royal Cooper and any of his siblings were in the household of their parents. I found 20 year old Royal W J Cooper in the household of his widower father, 61 year old farmer, William P. Cooper, in the town of Themelthorpe. William P. Cooper’s birthplace is listed as Foulsham, Norfolk. Royal Cooper is shown to be a helper on a farm and born in Themelthorpe. The oldest Cooper sibling in the household is 25 year old Sarah Ann Cooper, born in Sparham, Norfolk. The youngest sibling in the household is 15 year old Anna M. Cooper, born in Themelthorpe. Also in the household is William P. Cooper’s widowed mother, 89 year old Mary Ann Cooper, born in Billingford, Norfolk. The last person listed in the household is William’s sister in law, 75 year old Ruth Jacombe, a house keeper born in Themelthorpe::

1901 England Census

Birth Place: Foulsham, Norfolk, England
Civil Parish: Themelthorpe

Town: Themelthorpe

Address: Nr. P.M. Chapel

Name, Relation, Condition as to Marriage, Sex, Age, Occupation, Employer/Worker/or Own account, If Working at Home, Where Born

William P Cooper, Head, Widower, Male, 61, Farmer, Employer, Norfolk Foulsham
Sarah Ann Cooper, Daughter, Single, Female, 25, Norfolk Sparham
John J Cooper, Son, Single, Male, 22, Helper on Farm, Employer, Working at Home, Norfolk Themelthorpe
Royal W J Cooper, Son, Single, Male, 20, Helper on Farm, Employer, Working at Home, Norfolk Themelthorpe
Anna M Cooper, Daughter, Single, Female, 15, Helper on Farm at Home, Norfolk Themelthorpe
Mary Ann Cooper, Mother, Widow, Female, 89, Norfolk Billingford
Ruth Jacombe, Sister in Law, Widow, Female, 75, House Keeper, Norfolk Themelthorpe

Source Citation: .
____

Knowing that William P. Cooper was Royal Cooper’s father, I then went ahead in time to the 1911 census to see if William had been enumerated in the census for that year. I found 71 year old William Parker Cooper and family living in an address of Themelthorpe, East Dereham, Norfolk. The census shows that William was a widower, but that he had been married for 11 years, and in those 11 years he had 7 children born alive, with 6 children still living, and one child deceased. His occupation is farmer and his birthplace, Foulsham. In the household is his son in law, 30 year old Arthur Alphonso Lambert, a milk man on a farm, born in Kerdiston, Norfolk. Arthur is married to William’s daughter, 35 year old Sarah Ann Lamber, a housekeeper born in Sparham, Norfolk. The census shows that Arthur and Sarah Ann had been married for 8 years and in that time period had 5 children born alive with 4 children still living, and 1 child deceased.

The four children are in the household with their parents. These children, all born in Themelthorpe, are 7 year old Joseph William Lambert; 5 year old Arthur John Lambert; 3 year old Maurice Cooper Lambert; and 1 year old Gilbert George Lambert. Also in the household is a domestic servant, 16 year old Mary Ann Elizabeth Girling, born in Themelthorpe:

1911 England Census

Civil Parish: Guestwick and Themelthorpe

Street Address: Themelthorpe, E Dereham, Norfolk

Registration District Number: 223
Sub-registration District: Eynsford

ED, institution, or vessel: 15
Household Schedule Number: 57
Piece: 11215

Name, Relation to Head of Household, Age Last Birthday, Sex, Marital Status, Number Years Married, Number Children Born Alive, Children Still Living, Children Who Have Died, Occupation, Industry or
Service, Employer, Worker, or Own Account, Where Born

William Parker Cooper, Head, 71, Male, Widower, 11 years married, 7 children born alive, 6 Children still living, 5 children who have died, Farmer, Worker, Norfolk Foulsham,
Arthur Alphonso Lambert, 30, Male, Married, Milkman on Farm, Worker, Norfolk Kerdiston
Sarah Ann Lambert, Daughter, 35, Female, Married 8 years, 5 children born alive, 4 children still living, 1 child who has died, Housekeeper, Worker, Norfolk Sparham
Joseph William Lambert, Grandson, 7, Male, Norfolk Themelthorpe
Arthur John Lambert, Grandson, 5, Male, Norfolk Themelthorpe
Maurice Cooper Lambert, Grandson, 3, Male, Norfolk Themelthorpe
Gilbert George Lambert, Grandson, 1, Male, Norfolk Themelthorpe
Mary Ann Elizabeth Girling, Servant, 16, Female, Single, General Servant Domestic, Worker, Norfolk Themelthorpe

Source Citation: Class: RG14; Piece: 11215; Schedule Number: 57.
____

William’s mother, Mary Ann Cooper is not in the household with him in the 1911 census. In the 1901 census she was 89 years old, and so I looked for her death index at the FreeBMD website. I found one entry which may pertain to her. The index shows the death of a Mary Anne Cooper recorded in the Aylsham Registration District for the September quarter of 1903. Her age at death is 93. Her death record can be found in Volume 4b, Page 54 of the GRO registers:

Death September Quarter 1903

Mary Anne Cooper

Age at Death: 93

Page: 54
____

Next I looked for more information about William Parker Cooper. I found an index of his probate record at Ancestry.com’s collection, “England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1966.”

Ancestry digitized a copy of the original index held by the Principal Probate Registry in London.

The index shows that William Parker Cooper of Themelthorpe died on 22 February 1925, and that his will was probated on 11 March. He left “Effects” totaling £307 5s. and 9d. to John Jarvis Cooper and Royal William James Cooper, farmers.

The index follows:

COOPER William Parker of Themelthorpe Norfolk died 22 February
1925 Probate Norwich 11 March to John Jarvis Cooper and
Royal William James Cooper farmers.
Effects £307 5s. 9d.

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1966 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2010.
____

For more information about obtaining probate records and wills, go to the Department of Justice website link at: http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/probate/copies-of-grants-wi...

Below is the civil death index for William P. Cooper. His death was recorded in the Aylsham Registration District for the March quarter of 1925. At the time of death he was 85 years old. His death record can be found in Volume 4b, Page 104 of the GRO registers:

Death March Quarter 1925

Cooper William P

Age at Death: 85

Page: 104
____

If you order his death cert from the GRO see if William’s death was reported to the local registrar by John Jarvis Cooper, or Royal William James Cooper, or perhaps another family member.

Earlier, the 1911 census had shown that in the household with William Parker Cooper were his daughter, Sarah Ann Lambert and his son in law, Arthur Alphonso Lambert.

I found the civil marriage index for Sarah Ann Cooper and Arthur, showing their marriage was recorded in the Aylsham Registration District for the December quarter of 1902. Their marriage record can be found in Volume: 4b, Page 252 of the GRO registers:

Marriage December Quarter 1902

Sarah Ann Cooper

Arthur Alphonso Lambert

Page: 252
____

Next I accessed a copy of the 1891 census at Ancestry.com where I found 10 year old Royal William James Cooper in Themelthorpe. He is in the household of his widower father, 51 year old William Parker Cooper, a farmer born in Foulsham. The person next in the census is William’s sister in law, 65 year old Ruth Jacombe, a domestic servant born in Whitwell Norfolk. The oldest Cooper child of William in the household is 15 year old Sarah Ann Cooper, born in Sparham. She later would marry Arthur Alphonso Lambert. Next in the household is 12 year old John Jarvis Cooper, followed by Royal. The two youngest children in the household, both born in Themelthorpe, are 9 year old Lois and 7 year old Lily Cooper:

1891 England Census

Ecclesiastical parish: Themelthorpe

Town: Themelthorpe

Address: Gate House
ED, institution, or vessel: 13
Piece: 1513
Folio: 184
Page Number: 8

Name, Relation to Head of Household, Condition as to Marriage, Sex, Age, Occupation, Empolyer/Employed/ Neither Employer nor Employed, Where Born

William Parker Cooper, Head, Widower, Male, 51, Farmer, Foulsham Norfolk
Ruth Jacombe, Sister in Law, Married, Female, 65, Housekeeper Dom, Whitwell Norfolk
Sarah Ann Cooper, Daughter, Female, 15, Sparham Norfolk
John Garvis Cooper, Son, Male, 12, Themelthorpe Norfolk
Royal William James Cooper, Son, Male, 10, Themelthorpe Norfolk
Lois Cooper, Daughter, Female, 9, Themelthorpe Norfolk
Lily Mary Ann Cooper, Daughter, Female, 7, Themelthorpe Norfolk

Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 1513; Folio: 184; Page: 8; GSU Roll: 6096623.
____

Next, the 1881 census shows that 41 year old William Parker Cooper’s wife is 33 year old Susannah Riches Cooper, born in Themelthorpe. The census shows that William is a farmer born in Foulsham. No street address is listed, but the family are living in the Parish of Themelthorpe. The children in the household include 5 year old Sarah Ann, born Sparham; 2 year old John Jarvis, born Themelthorpe; and 7 month old Royal William James Cooper, also born Themelthorpe. Also in the household are William’s father in law and mother in law, who would also be Susannah parents. They are 77 year old retired farmer, John Jarvis, born in Trimingham, Norfolk; and 79 year old Sarah Jarvis, born Walsingham. The Ancestry.com index for this census had erroneously listed John Jarvis’s first name as James. But in a copy of the original census, he is shown to be John:

1881 England Census

Address:

Piece: 1929
Folio: 106
Page Number: 10

Name, Relation to Head of Household, Condition as to Marriage, Sex, Age, Occupation, Where Born

William Parker Cooper, Head, Married, Male, 41, Farmer, Norfolk Foulsham
Susannah Riches Cooper, Wife, Married, Female, 33, Norfolk Themelthorpe
Sarah Ann Cooper, Daughter, Female, 5, Norfolk Sparham
John Jarvis Cooper, Son, Male, 2, Norfolk Themelthorpe
Royal William James Cooper, Son, Male, 7 mo, Norfolk Themelthorpe
John Jarvis, Father in Law, Married, Male, 77, Retired Farmer, Norfolk Trimingham
Sarah Jarvis, Mother in Law, Married, Female, 79, Norfolk Walsingham

Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 1929; Folio: 106; Page: 10; GSU roll: 1341465.
____

William Parker Cooper’s wife must have died between the 1881 and 1891 census enumerations, as William is shown to be a widower in the 1891 enumeration. I found the death index for Susannah Riches Cooper. Her death was recorded in the Aylsham Registration District for the December quarter of 1885. At the time of death she was 37. Her death record can be found in Volume 4b, Page 48 of the GRO registers:

Death December Quarter 1885

Susannah Riches Cooper

Age at Death: 37

Page: 48
____

I then found Susannah’s church burial index at the LDS website, which shows she was buried in Themelthorpe on 14 November 1885. Her burial record can be found in GS microfilm number 2147114, which covers burials in the Themelthorpe Church of England for the years 1813 to 1897:

Susannah Riches Cooper, "England Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991"

Name: Susannah Riches Cooper
Burial Date: 14 Nov 1885
Burial Place: Themilthorpe, Norfolk, England

Death Date:
Death Place:

Birth Date:
Birthplace:

Marital Status:
Spouse's Name:

Father's Name:
Father's Birthplace:

Mother's Name:
Mother's Birthplace:

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I07505-8
System Origin: England-EASy
Reference ID: item 23 p 18

GS Film number: 2147114 = Parish registers of Themelthorpe, Burials, 1813-1997.
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Themelthorpe (Norfolk);
Norfolk and Norwich Record Office (Norwich.

Citing this Record
"England Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JD77-QM4 : accessed 11 Dec 2013), Susannah Riches Cooper.
____

I also found Susannah Riches Cooper’s burial record at the FreeREG website. This record shows she was buried from St. Andrew’s Church, Themelthorpe on 14 November 1885. Like her civil death index, this record also notes she was 37 years old when she died. A transcription of the record follows:

Church of St. Andrew, Themelthorpe, Norfolk

Burial Date: 14 November 1885
Name: Susannah Riches Cooper
Abode: Thmelthorpe

Source: http://www.freereg.org.uk/
____

To view a photo of St. Andrew’s Church in Themelthorpe, go to the flickrphoto link at the following: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jammopics/8478218877/

Also see: http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/themelthorpe/themelthorpe.h...

The next index may pertain to the death of Susannah’s father, John Jarvis. His death was recorded in the Aylsham Registration District for the September quarter of 1883. At the time of death he was 80 years old. The 1881 census shows that John was 77 years old. His death record can be found in Volume 4b, Page 47 of the GRO registers:

Death September Quarter 1883

John Jarvis

Age at Death: 80

Page: 47
____

The LDS burial index for John Jarvis follows. The index shows he was buried from the Themelthorpe Church of England on 27 July 1883. His burial record can be found in GS microfilm number 2147114:

John Jarvis, "England Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991"

Name: John Jarvis
Burial Date: 27 Jul 1883

Death Date:
Death Place:
Birth Date:
Birthplace:

Marital Status:
Spouse's Name:

Father's Name:
Father's Birthplace:

Mother's Name:
Mother's Birthplace:

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I07505-8S
ystem Origin: England-EASy
Reference ID: item 23 p 17

Citing this Record
"England Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JD77-QM3 : accessed 14 Dec 2013), John Jarvis, .
____

I also found the church burial record for John Jarvis at the FreeREG website. This record gives much the same information as above, only it gives the name of the church in Themelthorpe, which is St. Andrew’s:

Church of St. Andrew, Themelthorpe

Burial Date: 27 July 1883
Abode: Themelthorpe

____

Below is what I believe to be the civil death index for Susannah’s mother, Sarah Jarvis. The index shows Sarah’s death was recorded in the Aysham Registration District for the December quarter of 1885. At the time of death she was 84 years old. Her death record can be found in Volume 4b, Page 47 of the GRO registers:

Death December Quarter 1885

Sarah Jarvis

Age at Death: 84

Registraion District: Aylsham

Page: 47
____

Next is the LDS burial index for Sarah Jarvis. The index shows Sarah was buried in Themelthorpe on 22 October 1885. Her burial record can be found in GS microfilm number 2147114, which is the same film number in which her husband John and daughter Susannah’s burial records can also be found:

Sarah Jarvis, "England Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991"

Name: Sarah Jarvis
Burial Date: 22 Oct 1885

Death Date:
Death Place:

Birth Date:
Birthplace:

Marital Status:
Spouse's Name:

Father's Name:
Father's Birthplace:

Mother's Name:
Mother's Birthplace:

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I07505-8
Reference ID: item 23 p 18

Citing this Record
"England Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JD77-QMW : accessed 11 Dec 2013), Sarah Jarvis, .
____

The following is a transcription of Sarah’s burial from the FreeREG website, showing she was buried form St. Andrew’s Church in Themelthorpe:

Church of St. Andrew, Themelthorpe, Norfolk

Burial Date: 22 October 1885
Name: Sarah Jarvis
Abode: Themelthorpe

____

The 1881 census had earlier shown that the oldest child of William and Susannah Parker Cooper was their 5 year old daughter Sarah Ann Cooper, born in Sparham. Her age of 5 indicates that William and Susannah were married sometime between 1870 and 1876. I looked for their civil marriage index at the FreeBMD website and found it. The index shows the marriage of William Parker Cooper and Susanna/Susannah Riches Jarvis was recorded in the Mitford Registration District for the March quarter of 1875. The index below shows others who were married in the same quarter and same year.

The marriage record for William and Susannah can be found in Volume 4b, Page 425 of the GRO registers:

Marriages March Quarter 1875

Sarah Canham
William Parker Cooper
Susanna Riches Jarvis
Susannah Riches Jarvis
Henry Saunders
George Stannard

Page: 425
____

The marriage record for William and Susannah should tell you their ages or if they were of full age to marry, their addresses at the time of the marriage, William’s occupation and the names and occupations of their fathers, along with the place they were married.

The Mitford Registration District recorded births, marriages, and deaths for several towns and parishes in Norfolk, including Sparham, where William and Susannah’s daughter, Sarah Ann, was born. For a list of these towns and parishes, go to the GenUKI website link at the following: http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/mitford.html

I didn’t find the LDS marriage index for William Parker Cooper and Susannah Riches Jarvis. The LDS have not placed all of the UK’s early parish register indexes or digitized copies of church baptisms, marriages, and burials, online, even though the registers for these churches have been copied to microfilm. While the marriage for William Parker Cooper and Susannah Riches Jarvis has not been placed online by the LDS, you’ll see later that William’s baptism index has been placed online by the LDS.

The next search involved looking for records for the children of William Parker Cooper and Susannah Riches Jarvis. Census enumerations show these children are Sarah Ann; John Jarvis Cooper; Royal William James; Lois and Lily Cooper. I found what I believe are the civil birth indexes for all these children. The indexes show that Mary Ann’s birth was recorded in the Mitford Registration District, but the births of the other four children were recorded in the Aylsham Registration District, including the birth of your great grandfather, Royal.

The indexes are below:

Birth December Quarter 1875

Sarah Ann Cooper

Page: 256
____

Birth September Quarter 1878

John Jarvis Cooper

Page: 79
____

Birth September Quarter 1880

Royal William J Cooper

Page: 82
____

Birth December Quarter 1881

Lois Cooper

Page: 83
____

Birth March Quarter 1884

Lily Mary A Cooper

Page: 77
____

Census records show that Sarah Ann Cooper was born in Sparham, but that the other Cooper children were born in Themelthorpe. The LDS have not filmed the Themelthorpe baptism records past 1812 or the marriage records past 1837, which is the year that civil registration began in England and Wales. But, the LDS have filmed the Sparham Church of England baptisms up to 1911. Sarah Ann’s baptism may be included on this film. Information about the Sparham Church registers is below:

Parish registers for Sparham, 1573-1911

Authors: Church of England. Parish Church of Sparham (Norfolk) (Main Author)
Norfolk and Norwich Record Office (Norwich, England) (Repository)

Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1573-1692. Baptisms, 1693-1767; marriages, 1693-1754; burials, 1692-1767. Baptisms, burials, 1761-1812. Baptisms, 1784-1796; marriages, 1783-1795; burials, 1783-1795; marriage banns, 1783-1795. Baptisms, 1813-1911. Marriages, 1755-1812; marriage banns, 1755-1802. Marriages, 1813-1836. Burials, 1813-1901.

British Film: 1911508 Items 1 - 9
____

The Sparham Church of England parish registers can be found in GS microfilm number 1911508 Items 1 – 9. Because the marriage index for William Parker Cooper and Susannah Riches Jarvis shows their marriage was recorded in the Mitford Registration District in 1875, it’s also possible that they were married in Sparham, as Sparham was located in the Mitford district. But, as you can see above, the marriage records for the Sparham Church of England have not been filmed past 1836. The name of the church in Sparham is St. Mary’s. What you can do is write to the Priest in Charge of St. Mary’s Church, and ask if there is a baptism register entry for Sarah Ann Cooper, born in 1875, and a marriage record for her parents, William Parker Cooper and Susannah Riches Jarvis, who were also married in 1875.

You can write a letter to:

Priest in Charge
St Mary’s Church of England
Well Lane, Sparham, Norfolk, NR9 5RA
____

For photos and information about St. Mary’s Church in Sparham, go to the following links:

http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/sparham/sparham.htm

http://www.flebbs.org.uk/

You can also write or phone the parish priest for St. Andrew’s Church in Themelthorpe to see if the baptism record for your great grandfather, Royal William James Cooper is available. Address your letter to:

Revd Veronica Wilson
The Rectory
Guist Road
Foulsham
Norfolk
NR20 5RZ

Tel: (01362) 683275
____

Continuing with your Cooper line, I next looked for William Parker Cooper in the 1871 census to see if he was in the household with his parents. The 1901 census shows that his 89 year old widowed mother, Mary Ann Cooper, was in the household with him, and that she was born in Billingford, Norfolk.

I found 31 year old William in the 1871 census in the household of his 63 year old father, Richard Cooper, and 58 year old mother, Mary Ann, in an address of Low Common, Whitwell, Norfolk. The census shows that William is a local Methodist preacher and a farmer who was born in Foulsham. His father Richard is shown to be a carpenter born in East Dereham, while his mother Mary Ann was born in Billingford. William is the oldest child in the household. The other children of Richard and Mary Ann Cooper in the household are: 27 year old farmer, Richard Parker Cooper, born Foulsham; 24 year old milliner, Sarah Ann Cooper, born Foulsham; and 15 year old carpenter Thomas Parker Cooper, born Whitwell, Also in the household is Richard and Mary Ann’s 4 year old granddaughter, Selena Howard, born Lyng, Norfolk:

1871 England Census

Civil Parish: Whitwell

Town: Whitwell

Address: Low Common

ED, institution, or vessel: 7

Household Schedule Number: 27
Piece: 1801
Folio: 117
Page Number: 6

Name, Relation to Head of Household, Condition as to Marriage, Sex, Age, Occupation, Where Born

Richard Cooper, Head, Married, Male, 63, Carpenter, Norfolk E. Dereham
Mary Ann Cooper, Wife, Married, Female, 58, Dress Maker, Norfolk Billingford
William Parker Cooper, Son, Unmarried, Male, 31, Local preacher Methodist [Farmer, Norfolk Foulsham
Richard Parker Cooper, Son, Unmarried, Male, 27, Farmer, Norfolk Foulsham
Sarah Ann Cooper, Daughter, Unmarried, Female, 24, Millener, Norfolk Foulsham
Thomas Parker Cooper, Son, Unmarried, Male, 15, Carpenter, Norfolk Whitwell
Selina Howard, Gr Daur, Female, 4, Scholar, Norfolk Lyng

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 1801; Folio: 117; Page: 6; GSU roll: 838799.
____

The 1871 census above shows that William Parker Cooper was a Methodist preacher as well as a farmer. If you learn, after writing to the parish priest for St. Mary’s Church in Sparham, that there is not a marriage record for William and Susannah Riches Jarvis, and that if there isn’t a baptism record for their daughter Sarah Ann, it’s possible that the
marriage and the baptism had taken place in a Methodist Church. Likewise, if the parish priest for St. Andrew’s Church of England in Themelthorpe can’t find baptism records for Royal William James Cooper and three of his siblings, it’s possible the children were baptized in a Methodist Church. I couldn’t find an active Methodist Church in Sparham or Themelthorpe, but did uncover a Methodist Church in Aylsham. You could write to the minister there to enquire about marriage and baptism records. Contact information follows:

Methodist Meeting House
White Hart Street,
Aylsham,
Norfolk
NR11 6HY

Phone: 01263 732102
____

Below is a civil birth index for Celia B. Howard. This index likely refers to the birth of Richard and Mary Ann Cooper’s granddaughter who is listed as “Selina” in the 1871 census above. Her birth record can be found in Volume 4b, Page 264 of the GRO registers.

Her birth record will tell you when and where she was born, as well as the names of her parents:

Birth June Quarter 1866

Celia B Howard

Page: 264
____

I’ll have more information about Cecelia B. Howard later.

Next is the 1861 census for the family of 54 year old Richard Cooper and his 49 year old wife, Mary A. Cooper. The census shows that Richard is a journeyman carpenter who was born in East Dereham. Mary A. Cooper is shown to be a dressmaker born in Billingford. There are five of their children in the household, all but the youngest born in Foulsham. The oldest child is 21 year old William P. Cooper, employed as a tan yard labourer. Next is 19 year old Mary A. Cooper, employed as a dressmaker; 18 year old Richard P. Cooper, also employed as a tan yard labourer; 14 year old Sarah A. Cooper, a scholar; and the youngest child, 5 year old Thomas P. Cooper, born in Whitwell. The address of the Cooper family is Low Common Cottage, Whitwell:

1861 England Census

Civil Parish: Whitwell

Address: Low Common Cottage

ED, institution, or vessel: 6
Household Schedule Number: 89
Piece: 1204
Folio: 118
Page Number: 17

Richard Cooper, Head, Married, Male, 54, Carpenter (Journeyman), Norfolk East Dereham
Mary A Cooper, Wife, Married, Female, 49, Dress Maker, Norfolk Billingford
William P Cooper, Son, Unmarried, Male, 21, Tan Yard Lab, Norfolk Foulsham
Mary A Cooper, Daughter, Unmarried, Female, 19, Dress Maker, Norfolk Foulsham
Richard P Cooper, Son, Unmarried, Male, 18, Tan Yard Labourer, Norfolk Foulsham
Sarah A Cooper, Daughter, Unmarried, Female, 14, Scholar, Norfolk Foulsham
Thomas P Cooper, Son, Male, 5, Norfolk Whitwell

Source Citation: Class: RG 9; Piece: 1204; Folio: 118; Page: 17; GSU roll: 542774.
____

The 1861 census above shows that William Cooper and his younger brother Richard were working in a tan yard, that is, a place where leather was processed. I found information about Whitwell, Norfolk and the two tanneries that were in operation there in the 1800s at the Norfolk Heritage Explorations website link at: http://www.oneninesixzero.co.uk/?page_id=960

At this site you’ll see that the tanneries in Whitwell were owned by the Leamons and Leeds families. You’ll also see a photo of the old Leeds Tannery in Whitwell Common. William and Richard had probably worked at the Leamans or the Leeds tannery.

An 1880 color print of German Tanners can be viewed at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lohgerber_1880.jpg

Next is the 1851 census for the Cooper family in the Parish of Foulsham. The census shows that 43 year old carpenter, Richard Cooper was born in Dereham. His 38 year old wife Mary Ann was born in Billingford. There are four children in the household, with the oldest being born in Swanton Novers, Norfolk, and the other three in Foulsham. These children are 13 year old James Cooper, employed as a groom; 11 year old William Cooper; 9 year old Mary A. Cooper; 7 year old Richard A. Cooper; and 5 year old Sarah A. Cooper. William, Mary, Richard, and Sarah are shown to be scholars:

1851 England Census

Civil Parish: Foulsham

Address:

ED, institution, or vessel: 4
Household Schedule Number: 172

Piece: 1810
Folio: 83
Page Number: 39

Richard Cooper, Head, Married, Male, 43, Carpenter, Norfolk Dereham
Mary A Cooper, Wife, Married, Female, 38, Norfolk Billingford
James Cooper, Son, Male, 13, Groom, Swanton Novers
William Cooper, Son, Male, 11, Scholar, Norfolk Fouslsham
Mary A Cooper, Daughter, Female, 9, Scholar, Norfolk Fouslsham
Richard Cooper, Son, Male, 7, Scholar, Norfolk Fouslsham
Sarah A Cooper, Daughter, Female, 5, Scholar, Norfolk Fouslsham

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 1810; Folio: 83; Page: 39; GSU roll: 207463.
____

I also located the Cooper family in Foulsham in the 1841 census. Richard Cooper is shown to be a 30 year old Carpenter. Next in the household is 25 year old Mary, followed by 3 year old James, and 1 year old William Cooper. All the members of the family were born in Norfolk:

1841 England Census

Hundred: Eynsford

Address: Street

Piece: 763
Book: 8
Page Number: 1

Name, Age, Sex, Occupation, Whether Born in Same County, Whether Born in Scotland, Ireland, or Foreign Parts

Richard Cooper, 30, Male, Carpenter, Yes
Mary Cooper, 25, Female, Yes
James Cooper, 3, Male, Yes
William Cooper, 1, Male, Yes

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 763; Book: 8; Civil Parish: Foulsham; County: Norfolk; Enumeration District: 8; Page: 1; Line: 18; GSU roll: 438855.
____

Because several of the Cooper children had the middle name Parker, I suspect that their mother’s maiden name was Parker. I looked for the marriage of Richard Cooper and Mary Ann Parker at the FreeBMD website and found it. The index shows the marriage was recorded in the Mitford & Launditch Registration District for the December quarter of 1837. The marriage can be found in Volume 13, Page 481 of the GRO registers:

Marriage December Quarter 1837

Richard Cooper

Mary Parker

Registration District: Mitford & Launditch

Volume: 13

Page: 481
____

The Mitford and Launditch Registration District recorded births, marriages, and deaths for several towns and parishes in Norfolk, including Billingford, where Mary was born. See the GenUKI link for a list of these towns and villages: http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/mitford.html

If you order the marriage record for Richard Cooper and Mary Parker, see if the record gives Billingford as the location of the marriage. They may have been married in the Billingford Church of England, which is called St. Leonards. See: http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/billingford/billingford.htm

I next looked for the civil birth indexes for the children of Richard and Mary Cooper. According to the census returns, these children are James, William, Mary A., Richard, Sarah A., and Thomas P. Cooper. The 1851 census shows that James Cooper was born in Swanton Novers, Norfolk, but that the other children were born in Foulsham. Swanton Novers was in the Walsingham Registration District up until 1939, when it was transferred to the Fakenham Registration District.

I didn’t find a civil birth index for James Cooper registered in the Walsingham district for the years 1837 or 1838, nor in the Aylsham Registration District where Foulsham was situated. Though civil registration began in 1837, it wasn’t required to register a birth until 1865, and so James’s birth may not have been recorded by the local registrar.

But, to detour from civil registration for a moment, I did find an LDS baptism index for a Samuel Parker Cooper, showing that he was baptized in Norfolk, England on 14 January 1838. His parents are listed as Richard Cooper and Mary.

The baptism index follows:

Samuel Parker Cooper, "England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941"

Name: Samuel Parker Cooper
Event Type: Christening
Event Date: 14 Jan 1838
Event Place: Norfolk, England

Birth Year (Estimated):

Father's Name: Richard Cooper
Mother's Name: Mary

Digital Folder Number: 004143443
Image Number: 682

GS Film Number: 1526555 = Bishop's transcripts for the Archdeaconry of Norwich, 1685-1925
Author: Church of England. Archdeaconry of Norwich; Norfolk and
Norwich Record Office (Norwich, England).

"England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/27C5-8WP : accessed 12 Dec 2013), Samuel Parker Cooper, 1838.
____

Attached to the index is a digitized copy of the original baptism record for Samuel, giving much the same information as the index, but with the added details that he was baptized in the Swanton Novers Church of England. The baptism record also shows that at the time of the baptism Samuel and his family were living in Swanton Novers, and that his father was a labourer. Samuel was baptized by H.P. Cookesley:

Page [ Page 32 ]

BAPTISMS solemnized in the Parish of Swanton Novers
in the County of Norfolk in the Year 1838

When Baptized. 1838. Jany 14
No. 257
Name. Samuel Parker, son of
Parents' Names. Richard & Mary Cooper
Abode. Swanton Novers
Occupation. Labourer
By whom the Ceremony was Performed. H.P. Cookesley

England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-14263-46845-96?cc... : accessed 12 Dec 2013), Norfolk > Archdeaconry of Norwich > 1841 > R-Y > image 91 of 261.
____

James Cooper would have been born circa 1838 and so I am wondering his name was recorded as Samuel Parker Cooper rather than as James Parker Cooper by the clergyman in the baptism record. Samuel Cooper is not in the household with his parents in the 1841 or 1851 census enumerations, nor did I locate a civil death index for him.

The Swanton Novers Church of England is called St. Edmond’s. For photos and information about the church, go to the following: http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/swantonnovers/swantonnovers...

Also see the Wikipedia article and photo at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swanton_Novers

Below are the civil birth indexes for William Parker Cooper (1839); Mary Ann Cooper (1841); Richard Parker Cooper (1844); Sarah Ann Cooper (1846); and Thomas Parker Cooper (1856):

Birth September Quarter 1839

William Parker Cooper

Page: 8
____

Birth September Quarter 1841

Mary Anne Cooper

Page: 11
____

Birth March Quarter 1844

Richard Parker Cooper

Page: 14
____

Birth September Quarter 1846

Sarah Ann Cooper

Page: 14
____

Birth March Quarter 1856

Thomas Parker Cooper

Page: 71
____

Richard and Mary Ann may have had more children than noted in the birth indexes, as there is a 10 year gap between the birth of Sarah Ann Cooper (1846), and Thomas Parker Cooper (1856). . I didn’t find any Cooper children with the middle name of Parker in Aylsham Registration birth indexes for the years between 1847 and 1855. If Richard and Mary Ann did have more children whose middle names were not Parker, I would not know which ones they would be, because of the amount of Coopers in the Norfolk civil birth indexes between 1847 and 1855.

Next I looked for the baptism indexes or copies of original baptism records for William, Mary Ann, Richard, Sarah Ann, and Thomas Cooper.

I found the baptisms for William Parker Cooper and Mary Ann Cooper. First William Parker Cooper. The LDS index below shows his baptism was recorded in the Foulsham, Norfolk Church of England on 9 September 1839. His parents are Richard Cooper and Mary. His baptism record can be found in GS microfilm number 2149767:

William Parker Cooper, "England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975"

Name: William Parker Cooper
Christening Date: 09 Sep 1839
Christening Place: Foulsham, Norfolk, England

Birth Date:
Birthplace:

Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:

Mother's Name: Mary
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I07417-2
Reference ID: item 20 p 83

GS Film number: 2149767 = Parish registers of Foulsham, 1558-1901
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Foulsham (Norfolk);
Norfolk and Norwich Record Office (Norwich, England):

General register of baptisms, marriages and burials, 1558-1686/7; Baptisms and burials, 1713-1799 (also some baptisms for 1709/10); Marriages, 1713-1770; Baptisms and burials, 1799-1812, terrier of 1813; Baptisms, 1813-1901; Marriages and banns, 1754-1812; Banns, 1812-1866 (includes three marriages for 1812).

Citing this Record
"England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NJPD-QBT : accessed 12 Dec 2013), William Parker Cooper, 09 Sep 1839.
____

Because microfilm number 2149767 includes Foulsham baptism records from the 1500s to 1901, you may want to see if you can keep this film on permanent loan at your local Family History Centre, so that you can refer back to it from to time if you plan to look for, and compile more information about your Cooper and related ancestors who had lived in Foulsham.

The name of the Church of England in Foulsham is Holy Innocents. For photos of the Holy Innocents Church and graveyard, and for more information about this church in Foulsham, go to: http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/foulsham/foulsham.htm

I didn’t find a copy of William’s original baptism attached to his LDS baptism index, but I did find the LDS baptism index, along with a copy of the original baptism for Mary Ann Cooper, who was christened in the Foulsham Church of England on 25 August 1841. Her parents are listed as Richard Cooper and Mary Ann. Her baptism can be found in the Bishop's transcripts for the Archdeaconry of Norwich in GS microfilm number 1526555:

Mary Ann Cooper, "England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941"

Name: Mary Ann Cooper
Event Date: 25 Aug 1841
Event Place: Foulsham, Norfolk, England

Mother's Name: Mary Ann

Digital Folder Number: 004143443
Image Number: 182

GS Film Number: 1526555 = Bishop's transcripts for the Archdeaconry of Norwich, 1685-1925
Author: Church of England. Archdeaconry of Norwich; Norfolk and Norwich Record Office
(Norwich, England).

Citing this Record
"England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/J9PX-B7F : accessed 12 Dec 2013), Mary Ann Cooper, 1841.
____

Below is a copy of the original baptism record for Mary Ann Cooper. This gives the added information that Mary Ann’s place of abode at the time of baptism was Foulsham, and that her father’s occupation was carpenter. The record also shows that she was baptized by H.M. Astley. In the heading of the record you’ll see the name of the Parish is spelled “Fousham.” This is how it is spelled in a copy of the original baptism register on page 87:

Page [ Page 87 ]

BAPTISMS solemnized in the Parish of Fousham
in the County of Norfolk in the Year 1841

When Baptized. 1841. Aug 25
No. 695
Name. Mary Ann, Daughter of of
Parents' Names. Richard & Mary Ann Cooper
Abode. Foulsham
Occupation. Carpenter
By whom the Ceremony was Performed. H.M. Astley, Rector

Citing this Record
"England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-14263-49158-0?cc=... : accessed 12 Dec 2013), Norfolk > Archdeaconry of Norwich > 1841 > A-H > image 178 of 303.
____

MORE INFORMATION

We first saw Richard and Mary Ann Cooper together in the 1871 census, where they, four of their children, and their granddaughter Selina Howard, were living in an address of Low Common, Whitwell, Norfolk. I next looked for Richard and Mary Ann and children in the 1881 census. I didn’t find Richard, but located his widowed wife, 68 year old Mary Ann Cooper, who is employed as a Grocer & Draper. Her place of birth is Billingford, Norfolk. I couldn’t decipher the address in Foulsham where she was living. In the household with her is her 25 year old unmarried son, Thomas P. Cooper, employed as a carpenter. The 1871 census shows he was born in Foulsham, but the 1881 enumeration gives his birthplace as Whitwell Common. Also in the household is Mary Ann Cooper’s granddaughter, 14 year old Celia B. Howard, born in Lyng, Norfolk. She was in the 1871 census under the name of Selina Howard:

1881 England Census

Address: ?

Piece: 1928
Folio: 66
Page Number: 13

Mary Ann Cooper, Head, Widow, Female, 68, Grocer & Draper, Norfolk Billingford
Thomas P. Cooper, Son, Unmarried, Male, 25, Carpenter, Norfolk Whitwell Common
Celia B. Howard, Grand Dau, Female, 14, Norfolk Lyng

Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 1928; Folio: 66; Page: 13; GSU roll: 1341465.
____

Mary Ann’s husband Richard Cooper must have died between the 1871 and 1881 census returns. I looked for his death index at the FreeBMD website, and found an index that I believe pertains to him. The index shows the death of a Richard Cooper recorded in the Walsingham Registration District for the December quarter of 1877. He was 71 when he died. His death record can be found in Volume 4b, Page 195 of the GRO registers:

Death December Quarter 1877

Richard Cooper

Age at Death: 71

Registration District: Walsingham

Page: 195
____

Sadly, I also found the death index for Celia Browne Howard. The index shows her death was recorded in the Aylsham Registration District in the June quarter of 1881. She was 14 year old when she died. She would have died not long after the 1881 census was taken on the night of 3 April. Her death record can be found in Volume 4b, Page 51 of the GRO registers:

Death June Quarter 1881

Celia Browne Howard

Age at Death: 14

Page: 51
____

I also found Celia Brown Howard’s church burial index at the LDS website. She was buried in Foulsham, Norfolk on 16 May 1881:

Celia Brown Howard, "England Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991"

Name: Celia Brown Howard
Burial Date: 16 May 1881
Burial Place: Foulsham, Norwich, Norfolk, England

Death Date:
Death Place:
Birth Date:
Birthplace:

Marital Status:
Spouse's Name:

Father's Name:
Father's Birthplace:

Mother's Name:
Mother's Birthplace:

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I06298-7
Reference ID: item 6 p 39 n 308

GS Film number: 1526621 = Bishop's transcripts for the Archdeaconry of Norwich, 1685-1925
Authors: Church of England. Archdeaconry of Norwich (Main Author)

Citing this Record
"England Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JDH6-Z2J : accessed 13 Dec 2013), Celia Brown Howard,
____

Attached to the LDS index is a copy of the original Foulsham Church of England burial register for Page 39, which recorded the burial entry for Celia Brown Howard, stating that her death was certified by a man named John Roshier:

[ Page 39 ]

BURIALS in the Parish of Foulsham
in the County of Norfolk
in the Year One Thousand Eight Hundred and Eighty one

Name. Cecelia Brown Howard
No. 308
Abode. Foulsham
When Buried. May 16 1881
Age. 14
By whom the Ceremony was Performed. Certified by John Roshier

Citing this Record:Copy Citation
"England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-14264-42144-65?cc... : accessed 15 Dec 2013), Norfolk > Archdeaconry of Norwich > 1882 > A-Q > image 69 of 252.
____

RICHARD COOPER

I next looked for more information about Richard Cooper. Census returns show he was born in East Dereham or Dereham, Norfolk. In the 1841 census his age is listed as 30, placing his year of birth circa 1810. The 1851 census shows he was 43 years old, placing his year of birth circa 1808. In the 1861 census he is 54, which places his year of birth in 1812, and in the 1871 census he is 63, which would place his year of birth circa 1808.

I looked for Richard Cooper’s baptism at the LDS and FreeREG websites and found a possibility at the FreeREG website. This record shows that Richard, son of Thomas Cooper and Sarah Wells was baptized in the St. Nicholas Church, East Dereham, on 31 August 1807. This record also shows he was born on 29 august 1807, but does not give the place of abode for the family or his father’s occupation:

Church of St. Nicholas, East Dereham

Date of Birth: 29 August 1807
Date of Baptism: 31 August 1807
Name: Richard, son of
Parents' names: Thomas Cooper & Sarah Wells
Abode:
Father's Occupation:

____

For photos and information about St. Nicholas Church, go to the following norfolkchurches link at: http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/derehamnicholas/derehamnich...

Also see the Wikipeda article at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dereham

Below is a transcription of the marriage for Thomas Cooper and Sarah Wells from the FreeREG website. The record shows that Thomas Cooper of the Parish of Bintre, and Sarah Wells, of the Parish of East Dereham,were married by license in East Dereham on 13 December 1805. The clergyman who married them was W. Deighton. Thomas Cooper signed the marriage register with his name, but Sarah Wells signed with an X, indicating she could not read or write. The witnesses to the marriage were John Wells and Hase Wells:

Church of St. Nicholas, East Dereham

Date of Marriage: 13 December 1805
Groom's Name: Thomas Cooper
Groom's Parish: Bintre
Groom's Condition: Single Man

Bride's Name: Sarah Wells
Bride' Parish: Of This Parish
Bride's Condition: Single Woman

Married by License

Married by: W Deighton, Clerk

Signed; Thomas Cooper, Sarah Wells Her X Mark

Witnesses: John Wells, Hase Wells

____

The LDS have filmed the parish registers and Archdeacon Transcripts for the Church of England, East Dereham. The parish registers are on microfilm numbers 1951410 Items 3 – 6, and 1951411. The Archdeacon’s Transcripts are on microfilm number 1526811 Item 5. See below for years covered by these registers, from the online Family History Library Catalog:

Parish registers for East Dereham, 1593-1934
Authors: Church of England. Parish Church of East Dereham (Norfolk) (Main Author)

Baptisms, 1679-1873.
Family History Library British Film: 1951410 Items 3 - 6

Baptisms, 1873-1902. Marriages, 1679-1843.
Family History Library British Film: 1951411
____

Archdeacons transcripts, 1725-1812
Authors: Church of England. Parish Church of East Dereham (Norfolk) (Main Author)

Baptisms, burials and marriages 1725-1743, 1771-1812
Family History Library British Film: 1526811 Item 5
____

MARY ANN PARKER

Census returns show that Mary Ann Parker Cooper was born in Billingford, Norfolk between 1811 and 1817, depending upon which census return you view. I looked for, but didn’t find a baptism record for Mary Ann Parker at the LDS or FreeREG websites. The LDS however, have filmed the Billingford Church of England Archdeacon’s Transcripts of baptisms for the years 1600 to 1812, and marriages from 1600 to 1811. If Mary Ann Cooper was baptized in 1811 or 1812, her baptism record may be in the Archdeacon’s Transcripts. Information follows:

Archdeacons transcripts
Authors: Church of England. Parish Church of Billingford (near Foulsham) (Main Author)

Baptisms and burials 1600-1608, 1624-1633, 1666-1812 Marriages 1600-1608, 1624-1633, 1666-1811
Family History Library British Film: 1526781 Item 9
____

The Archdeacon’s Transcripts for Billingford can be found in microfilm number 1526781 Item 9.

SUSANNAH RICHES JARVIS

To recap information about Susannah Riches Jarvis, she married William Parker Cooper in 1875. Their civil marriage index was seen earlier, but I’ve included it again below so that you don’t have to go looking for it.

Marriages March Quarter 1875

Sarah Canham
William Parker Cooper
Susanna Riches Jarvis
Susannah Riches Jarvis
Henry Saunders
George Stannard

Page: 425
____

Susannah Riches Jarvis was the mother of Royal William James Cooper. I looked for Susannah’s civil birth index and found it at the FreeBMD website. The index shows her birth was recorded in the Aylsham Registration District in the March quarter of 1848. Her birth record can be found in Volume 13, Page 11 of the GRO registers:

Birth March Quarter 1848

Susannah Riches Jarvis

____

Because Susannah was born in 1848 I knew there was a good possibility that she would be in the 1851 census with her parents, John and Susannah Jarvis. John and Susannah, if you recall, were in the household with their daughter Susannah and her husband William Parker Cooper in Themelthorpe in the 1881 census.

I found 3 year old Susannah Jarvis in the household of her 47 year old widowed father, John Jarvis, who is shown to be a farmer of 30 acres of land employing 1 man. The census shows that John was born in “Tumington,” Norfolk, which I believe would actually be Trimingham. This census is a little strange in that another person in the household, 49 year old Sarah Riches, is shown to be John Jarvis’s housekeeper, not his wife, and a widow. She was born in Old Walsingham. Also in the household is Sarah Riches’ son, 7 year old Ebenezer Riches, born in Themelthorpe. The household also includes an agricultural servant, 19 year old John Hall, born in Themelthorpe. He is probably the 1 man that the census shows John Jarvis employing. The 1851 shows the Jarvis household is in Themelthorpe:

1851 England Census

Address:

Household Schedule Number: 41
Piece: 1810
Folio: 102
Page Number: 13

John Jarvis, Head, Widower, Male, 47, Farmer of 30 acres employing 1 man, Norfolk Tumingham Is Trimingham
Susannah Jarvis, Daughter, Female, 3, Norfolk Themelthorpe
Sarah Riches, Housekeeper, Widower, 49, Housekeeper, Norfolk Old Walsingham
Ebenezer Riches, Son of Housekeeper, Male, 7, Norfolk Themelthorpe
John Hall, Servant, Unmarried, Male, 19, Ag Servant, Norfolk Themelthorpe

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 1810; Folio: 102; Page: 13; GSU roll: 207463.
____

The reason why I mentioned that the 1851 census is a little strange is that I found a marriage index for John Jarvis and Sarah Riches. The index shows the marriage was recorded in the Aylsham Registration District for the June quarter of 1846, 5 years before the census was enumerated on 30 March of 1851. Their marriage record can be found in Volume 13, Page 23 of the GRO registers. Another couple, Ann Amis and John Long are also recorded in the index, which follows:

Marriages June Quarter 1846

Ann Amis
John Jarvis
John Long
Sarah Riches

Page: 23
____

I then found the church marriage index for John Jarvis and Sarah Riches at the LDS website. The index shows the marriage took place in Themelthorpe on 23 April 1846. The index shows that John Jarvis’s father is John Jarvis and that Sarah’s father is Thomas Riches. The marriage record can be found in GS microfilm number 1526559 for the Bishop’s Transcripts of the Archdeacorny of Norwich:

John Jarvis, "England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941"

Event Type: Marriage
Event Date: 23 Apr 1846
Event Place: Themilthorpe, Norfolk, England

Birth Year (Estimated):

Father's Name: John Jarvis
Mother's Name:

Spouse's Name: Sarah Riches
Spouse's Marital Status:
Spouse's Birth Year (Estimated):

Spouse's Father's Name: Thomas Riches
Spouse's Mother's Name:

Digital Folder Number: 004143447
Image Number: 133

GS Film Number: 1526559 = Bishop's transcripts for the Archdeaconry of Norwich, 1685-1925
Author: Church of England. Archdeaconry of Norwich; Norfolk and Norwich Record Office (Norwich, England)

Citing this Record
"England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/27CT-C7M : accessed 13 Dec 2013), John Jarvis and Sarah Riches, 1846.
____

Attached to the LDS index is a copy of the original marriage record. This record shows that at the time of marriage John Jarvis was a bachelor and that Sarah Riches was a spinster, and so, they would not have been married when Ebenezer Riches was born. The marriage record shows the couple were of full age when married, and that at the time of the marriage both were living in Themelthorpe. The marriage ceremony was performed by William Barlow. The witnesses to the marriage were Edward Yarham and Rebekah Yarham who signed the marriage register with an X, indicating she could not read or write:

[ Page 3 ]

1846. MARRIAGE solemnized in the Church in the Parish of Themelthorpe
in the County Norfolk

No. 5
When Married. April 23d 1846
Name and Surname. John Jarvis
Age. of age
Condition. Bachelor
Rank or Profession. Farmer
Residence at the Time of Marriage. Themelthorpe
Father’s Name and Surnam. John Jarvis

Name and Surname. Sarah Riches
Age. of age
Condition. Spinster
Rank or Profession.
Residence at the Time of Marriage. Themelthorpe
Father’s Name and Surnam. Thomas Riches

Married in the Church by banns according to the rights and Ceremonies of the Established Church by me,
Wm Barlow, Curate

This Marriage was solemnized between us, { John Jarvis, Sarah Riches }

In the Presence of us, {Edward Yarham, Rebekah Yarham her X mark

"England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-14263-43726-94?cc... : accessed 13 Dec 2013), Norfolk > Archdeaconry of Norwich > 1846 > P-W > image 129 of 322.
____

The following is the civil birth index for Ebenezer Riches. His birth was recorded in the Alysham Registration District for the December quarter of 1843. His birth record can be found in Volume 13, Page 17 of the GRO registers:

Birth December Quarter 1843

Ebenezer Riches

Page: 17
____

If you order Ebenezer’s birth record, see if the record only records his mother, as that would be a sign that he was born out of wedlock. Indications are that Ebenezer Riches was John Jarvis’s son, as the 1841 census below shows that 35 year old Sarah Riches is in the household with 35 year old John Jarvis, who is shown to be a farmer. Sarah’s occupation is listed as “F.S.,” which stands for “Female Servant.” Also in the household is a male servant (M.S.), 19 year old Matthew Amis. The three people in the household were all born in Norfolk. I couldn’t make out the exact location of the household in Themelthorpe, where the 1841 census was enumerated:

1841 England Census

Hundred: Eynsford

Address: ?

Piece: 764
Book: 8
Folio: 3

Name, Age, Sex, Occupation, Whether Born in Same County, Whether Born in Scotland, Ireland, or Foreign Parts

John Jarvis, 35, Male, Farmer, Yes
Sarah Riches, 35, Female, F.S., Yes
Matthew Amis, 19, Male, M.S. Yes

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 764; Book: 8; Civil Parish: Themelthorpe; County: Norfolk; Enumeration District: 9; Folio: 3; Page: 1; Line: 1; GSU roll: 438855.
____

Next, the 1861 census shows that 57 year old John Jarvis is a farmer of 30 acres employing 1 man and 1 boy. The census shows John was born in Trimingham. His wife is 59 year old Sarah Jarvis, born Old Walsingham. Also in the household is their 13 year old daughter Susannah Jarvis, a scholar born in Themelthorpe. Ebenezer Riches is in the household as well. He is shown to be 17, unmarried, and employed as a carter. He was born in Themelthorpe. The address of the Jarvis household is Church Street, The Village, Themelthorpe:

1861 England Census

Address: Church Street, The Village

ED, institution, or vessel: 12
Household Schedule Number: 3
Piece: 1205
Folio: 86
Page Number: 20

John Jarvis, Head, Married, Male, 57, Farmer of 30 Acres employing 1 man & 1 boy, Norfolk Trimingham
Sarah Jarvis, Wife, Married, Female, 59, Farmer's Wife, Norfolk Old Walsingham
Susannah Jarvis, Daughter, Female, 13, Scholar & Farmer's Daughter, Norfolk Themelthorpe
Ebenezer Riches, Son in Law, Unmarried, Male, 17, Carter, Norfolk Themelthorpe

Source Citation: Class: RG 9; Piece: 1205; Folio: 86; Page: 20; GSU roll: 542774.
____

Moving on to the 1871 census I found that 23 year old Susannah Jarvis was employed as a cook in the household of Thomas and Sarah Fox in an address of Mantle Street, Cowl House, Wellington, Somerset. The census shows that Thomas Fox is a woolen manufacturer, though I could not make out his full occupation in the census. He must have had some money, as in addition to Susannah, he employed 5 other servants. The census shows that Susannah was born in Themelthorpe, Norfolk:

1871 England Census

Civil Parish: Wellington

Town: Wellington

Address: Mantle Street, Cowl House

County/Island: Somerset

Registration District: Wellington
Sub-registration District: Wellington

Household Schedule Number: 211
Piece: 2363
Folio: 23
Page Number: 38

Thomas Fox, Head, Married, Male, 43, Woolen Manufacturer ( ? ? ) Somerset Wellington
Sarah A Fox, Wife, Married, Female, 38, Middlesex Tottenham
Thomas Fox, Son, Male, 13, Somerset Wellington
Maria H Fox, Daughter, Female, 12, Somerset Wellington
Anna P Fox, Daughter, Female, 8, Somerset Wellington
John H Fox, Son, Male, 6, Somerset Wellington
William A Fox, Son, Male, 5, Somerset Wellington
Robert A Fox, Son, Male, 2, Somerset Wellington
Florence M Fox, Daughter, Female, 11 Months, Somerset Wellington
Alice M Lloyd, Visitor, Female, 12, Australia; Adelaide
Esther Bulley, Servant, Unmarried, Female, 25, Domestic, Gloster Alveston
Charlotte Treble, Servant, Unmarried, Female, 27, Somerset Wiveliscombe
Susannah Jarvis, Servant, Unmarried, Female, 23, Cook, Norfolk Themelthorpe
Emma A Drake, Servant, Unmarried, Female, 36, Nurse, Norfolk Reepham
Mary A Summerhays, Servant, Unmarried, Female, 22, ?, Somerset Wellington
Charlotte Bone, Servant, Unmarried, Female, 17, Nurse, Somerset Langford

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 2363; Folio: 23; Page: 38; GSU roll: 835100.
____

I also located 67 year old John Jarvis and his 69 year old wife Sarah in the 1871 census, living in an address of Near the Church, Themelthorpe. John is shown to be a retired farmer and landowner born in Trimingham. The Ancestry.com index erroneously gives his place of birth as Birmingham, which I’ve corrected in the census transcription. The census shows that Sara Jarvis was born in Walsingham.

1871 England Census

Address: Near the Church

Household Schedule Number: 10

Piece: 1802
Folio: 88
Page Number: 11

John Jarvis, Head, Married, Male, 67, Retired Farmer and Landowner, Norfolk Trimingham
Sarah Jarvis, Wife, Married, Female, 69, Wife of above, Norfolk Walsingham

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 1802; Folio: 88; Page: 11; GSU roll: 838799.
____

I now wanted to see if I could find the inndividual baptisms for John Jarvis and Sarah Riches. Census returns show that John was born in Trimingham, Norfolk, and that Sarah was born in Walsingham, or Old Walsingham, Norfolk. I didn’t find baptism indexes for them at the LDS website, nor did I uncover a baptism for Sarah at the FreeREG website. But I did find the baptism for a “Jn” Jarvis at the FreeREG website, showing he was born on 5 June 1803 and baptized in St. John the Baptist Church, Trimingham, on 10 June 1803. His parents are listed as John Jarvis and “Sus” Graver. The Sus can either stand for Susan or Susannah. A note accompanying the record states “John Jarvis reputed father.”

A transcription of the FreeREG baptism for John Jarvis follows:

Church of St. John the Baptist, Trimingham

Date of Birth: 5 June 1803
Date of Baptism: 10 June 1803
Name: Jn, son of
Parents' Names: John Jarvis & Sus Graver
Abode:
Father's Occupation:

Notes: John Jarvis reputed father.

Sources: http://www.freereg.org.uk/
Garsett House Archaeological Society Register Transcripts Trimingham
____

OLIVE GAFF AND FAMILY

As shown at the beginning of this reply, the marriage of Royal W J Cooper and Olive Gaff was recorded in the Aylsham Registration District in the December quarter of 1913. I next looked for more records pertaining to Olive Gaff. I found 17 year old Olive in the 1911 census in the household of her parents, 51 year old farmer Jacob Gaff and his 44 year old wife Harriet. The address of the household is Bawdeswell, Dereham, Norfolk. Olive’s birthplace is Booton, Norfolk. The census shows as of 1911 her parents had been married for 20 years with 6 children born alive, 4 children still living, and 2 children who have died. Jacob’s place of birth is Booton. Harriet’s place of birth is Kerdistone.

The oldest child of Jacob and Harriet in the household is 19 year old farm labourer, Gershom Gaff, born Booton. He is followed by Olive. The youngest children are 14 year old James Gaff, born Reepham, Norfolk, and 8 year old Miriam Cora Gaff, born Bawdeswell:

1911 England Census

Civil Parish: Bawdeswell and Foxley

Address: Bawdeswell, Dereham, Norfolk

Registration District Number: 232
Sub-registration District: Bawdeswell

ED, institution, or vessel: 1
Household Schedule Number: 24
Piece: 11509

Name, Relation to Head of Household, Age Last Birthday, Sex, Marital Status, Number Years Married, Number Children Born Alive, Children Still Living, Children Who Have Died, Occupation, Industry or Service, Employer, Worker, or Own Account, Where Born

Jacob Gaff, Head, 51, Male, Married, Farmer, Employer, Norfolk Booton
Harriett Gaff, Wife, 44, Female, Married 20 years, 6 children born alive, 4 children still living, 2 children who have died, Norfolk Kerdistone
Gershom Gaff, Son, 19, Male, Single, Farm Labourer, Worker, Norfolk Booton
Olive Gaff, Daughter, 17, Female, Single, Norfolk Booton
James Gaff, Son, 14, Male, Single, Norfolk Reepham
Miriam Cora Gaff, Daughter, 8, Female, Norfolk Bawdeswell

Source Citation: Class: RG14; Piece: 11509; Schedule Number: 24.
____

Below are the civil birth indexes for the children of Jacob and Harriet Gaff found in the 1911 census, including your Olive. Olive’s birth was recorded in the St. Faith’s Registration District for the June quarter of 1893. Her birth record can be found in Volume 4b, Page 100 of the GRO registers. The indexes follow:

Birth June Quarter 1891

Gersham John Gaff

Registration District: St. Faith's

Page: 96
____

Birth June Quarter 1893

Olive Gaff

Page: 100
____

Birth September Quarter 1896

James Gaff

Page: 78
____

Birth December Quarter 1902

Miriam Cora Gaff

Page: 249
____

At the FreeREG website I found the baptism for Miriam Cora Gaff, but in the transcription of the record from the FreeREG site, her name was listed as Minn Cora, because the original baptism entry is “very faint.” Her parents are listed as Jacob and Harriet Gaff. Miriam was baptized in the Wesleyan Methodist Circuit, Mattishall, Norfolk, in 1902, perhaps on 6 September, as the record isn’t clear about the month. The record also shows that Miriam was born on 4 September 1902. At the time of the baptism the Gaff family were living in Bawdeswell, Norfolk. Jacob’s occupation is farmer. There is also a question in the baptism record as to the name of the minister who baptized Miriam. The FreeREG site lists him with a question mark as “Powell Minnie?”

A transcription of the baptism record follows:

Wesleyan Methodist Circuit Church, Mattishall, Norfolk

Date of Birth: 4 September 1902
Date of Baptism: 6 ? 1902
Name: Minn Cora
Parents' Names: Jacob & Harriet Gaff
Father's Occupation: Farmer
Abode: Bawdeswell

Notes: "Damaged, very faint entry. Ceremony by Powell. Minnie?"

____

I located contact information for the Methodist minister in Mattishall at the East Anglia Methodist Church link at: http://www.eamethodist.org.uk/mattishall.htm

The contact information for the minister is:

Rev Valerie Spencer
37A Dereham Road
Mattishall, Dereham, Norfolk, NR20 3NL.

Phone: 01362 695582
____

You can send a letter or phone the Rev. Spencer to ask if she would go through the Mattishall Methodist Church parish registers to see if it possible to identify the other children of Jacob and Harriet Gaff.

The following is the 1901 census for the Gaff family living in an address of The Street, Bawdeswell. The census shows that 42 year old farmer Jacob Gaff was born in Booton, as were his 9 year old son Gershom and 7 year old daughter Olive. Jacob’s wife, 34 year old Harriet A. Gaff was born in Kirdestone. The youngest child in the household is 4 year old James Gaff, born in Thackford, Norfolk:

1901 England Census

Civil Parish: Bawdeswell

Town: Bawdeswell

Address: The Street

Name, Relation, Condition as to Marriage, Sex, Age, Occupation, Employer/Worker/or Own account, If Working at Home, Where Born

Jacob Gaff, Head, Married, Male, 42, Farmer. Own Account, Norfolk Booton
Harriet A Gaff, Wife, Married, Female, 34, Norfolk Kirdestone
Gershom J Gaff, Son, Male, 9, Norfolk Booton
Olive Gaff, Daughter, Female, 7, Norfolk Booton
James Gaff, Son, Male, 4, Norfolk Thackford

Source Information: Ancestry.com. 1901 England Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2005.
____

Next is the civil marriage index for Jacob Gaff, showing that he married Harriet Reeve. The marriage was recorded in the St. Faiths Registration District for the December quarter of 1890. The marriage record can be found in Volume 4b, Page 229 of the GRO registers:

Marriage December Quarter 1890

Jacob Gaff

Harriet Reeve

Page: 229
____

I didn’t find the marriage for Jacob Gaff and Harriet Reeve at the LDS or FreeREG websites. If you order their marriage record from the GRO see if the church where they were married in 1890 is recorded on the document.

Below is the 1891 census showing that 32 year old Jacob Gaff, and his 24 year old wife Harriet were living in an address of Norwich Road, Booton, Norfolk. The census shows that Jacob is an agricultural labourer born in Booton. Harriet was born in Kerdistone:

1891 England Census

Civil Parish: Booton
Ecclesiastical parish: Booton

Town: Booton

Address: Norwich Road

Registration District: St Faith
Sub-registration District: St Faith
ED, institution, or vessel: 2
Piece: 1516
Folio: 22
Page Number: 12

Name, Relation to Head of Household, Condition as to Marriage, Sex, Age, Occupation, Empolyer/Employed/ Neither Employer nor Employed, Where Born

Jacob Gaff, Head, Married, Male, 32, Agricultural Labourer, Employed, Norfolk Booton
Harriet Gaff, Wife, Married, Female, 24, Norfolk Kerdistone

Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 1516; Folio: 22; Page: 12; GSU Roll: 6096626.
____

I next looked for Jacob Gaff in the 1881 census before he married Harriet Reeve. I found 22 year old agricultural labourer Jacob Gaff in the household of his widowed mother, 60 year old Sarah Gaff, in an address of Norwich Road, Booton. This is the same road where Jacob was living in the 1891 census. The 1881 census shows that Sarah Gaff was born in Salle, Norfolk, and that her son Jacob was born in Booton. Also in the household is Sarah’s 16 year old son Isaac, and agricultural labourer born in Booton. The last person enumerated in the Gaff household is a 70 year old lodger and annuitant named Elizabeth Wade, who was born in Haveringland, Norfolk:

1881 England Census

Address: Norwich Road

Registration District: St Faith'S
Sub-registration District: St Faith'S
Piece 1932
Folio: 22
Page Number: 5

Sarah Gaff, Head, Widow, Female, 60, Norfolk Sall (probabbly a reference to Salle, Norfolk
Jacob Gaff, Son, Unmarried, Male, 22, Ag. Lab. Norfolk Booton
Isaac Gaff, Son, Unmarried, Male, 16, Ag. Lab. Norfolk Booton
Elizabeth Wade, Lodger, Widow, Female, 70, Annuitant, Norfolk Haveringland

Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 1932; Folio: 22; Page: 5; GSU roll: 1341466
____

Jacob’s mother Sarah Gaff was not in the household with him and his wife Harriet in the 1891 census, which means she may have been enumerated in the household of another one of her children, or was deceased by 1891. I found Sarah was still living as of the 1891 census, as she is listed as the 70 year old head of household in an address of Nr Sand Pit, in Booton. The letters Nr stand for Near. The census shows Sarah was born in Sall. In the household with her is her 26 year old son Isaac Gaff, an agricultural labourer born in Booton:

1891 England Census

Ecclesiastical parish: Booton

Address: Nr Sand Pit

Piece: 1516
Folio: 21
Page Number: 10

Sarah Gaff, Head, Widow, Female, 70, Norfolk Sall
Isaac Gaff, Son, Single, Male, 26, Agricultural Labourer, Employed, Norfolk Booton

Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 1516; Folio: 21; Page: 10; GSU Roll: 6096626.
____

I also found 81 year old Sarah H Gaff in the 1901 census living in an address of Norwich Rd., Booton:

1901 England Census

Address: Norwich Rd.

Sarah Gaff, Head, Widow, Female, 81, Sall Norfolk

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. 1901 England Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2005.
____

Below is the death index for Sarah Gaff from the FreeBMD website. The index shows Sarah’s death recorded in the Erpingham Registration District for the June quarter of 1904. At the time of death Sarah was 80 years old. Her death record can be found in Volume 4b, Page 45 of the GRO registers:

Death June Quarter 1904

Sarah GAFF

Age at Death: 80

Registration District: Erpingham

Page: 45
____

Going to the 1871 census I found 12 year old Jacob Gaff in the household of his 58 year old father John, and 50 year old mother Sarah, in an address of On the Hill, Norwich Road, Booton. The census shows that Jacob is an agricultural labourer born in Booton. His father John is an agricultural labourer born in Haveringland. Sarah is shown to have been born in “Sall,” Norfolk. The other children of John and Sarah Gaff in the household, all born in Booton, are 24 year old Elijah; 18 year old Enock; 15 year old Esau; and 6 year old Isaac. All these children, except Isaac, were employed as agricultural labourer. Isaac is shown to be a scholar:

1871 England Census

Address: On the Hill, Norwich Road

Household Schedule Number: 32

Piece: 1805
Folio: 21
Page Number: 6

John Gaff, Head, Married, Male, 58, Ag. Lab., Norfolk Haveringland
Sarah Gaff, Wife, Married, Female, 50, Ag Lab's Wife, Norfolk Sall
Elijah Gaff, Son, Unmarried, Male, 24, Ag. Lab., Norfolk Booton
Enock Gaff, Son, Unmarried, Male, 18, Ag. Lab., Norfolk Booton
Esau Gaff, Son, Unmarried, Male, 15, Ag. Lab., Norfolk Booton
Jacob Gaff, Son, Unmarried, Male, 12, Ag. Lab., Norfolk Booton
Isaac Gaff, Son, Unmarried, Male, 6, Scholar, Norfolk Booton

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 1805; Folio: 21; Page: 6; GSU roll: 838801.
____

The 1881 census had shown that Sarah Gaff was a widow, which means her husband John must have died between the years 1871 and 1881. I found John Gaff’s death index at the FreeBMD website. His death was recorded in the St. Faiths Registration District for the September quarter of 1871. At the time of death he was 58 years old. His death record can be found in Volume 4b, Page 69 of the GRO registers:

Death September Quarter 1871

John Gaff

Age at Death: 58

Registration District: St. Faiths

Page: 69
____

The 1861 census shows the Gaff family living in Booton. John Gaff is a 48 year old labourer born in Haveringland. His 40 year old wife Sarah was born in “Sale,” Norfolk. The oldest child in the household is 16 year old George, a labourer born in Hackford, Norfolk. There are also five younger children in the household, all born in Booton. They are 14 year old Elijah; 10 year old Ellen; 8 year old Enoch; 5 year old Esau; and 2 year old Jacob:

1861 England Census

Address:

Registration District: St Faiths
Sub-registration District: St Faiths
Household Schedule Number: 57
Piece: 1208
Folio: 28
Page Number: 12

John Gaff, Head, Married, Male, 48, Labourer, Norfolk Haveringland
Sarah Gaff, Wife, Married, Female, 40, Norfolk Sale
George Gaff, Son, Male, 16, Labourer, Norfolk Hackford
Elijah Gaff, Son, Male, 14, Norfolk Booton
Ellen Gaff, Daughter, Female, 10, Scholar, Norfolk Booton
Enoch Gaff, Son, Male, 8, Scholar, Norfolk Booton
Esau Gaff, Son, Male, 5, Norfolk Booton
Jacob Gaff, Son, Male, 2, Norfolk Booton

Source Citation: Class: RG 9; Piece: 1208; Folio: 28; Page: 12; GSU roll: 542775.
____

The 1851 census also shows the “Goff” family living in Booton. Your ancestor Jacob is not in the household as he wouldn’t have been born yet:

1851 England Census

Address:

Registration District: St Faiths
Sub-registration District: St Faiths
Household Schedule Number: 3
Piece: 1811
Folio: 36

John Goff, Head, Married, Male, 38, Ag. Lab, Norfolk Haveringland
Sarah Goff, Wife, Married, Female, 30, Ag Lab's Wife, Norfolk Sall
George Goff, Son, Unmarried, Male, 6, Scholar, Norfolk Hackford
Elijah Goff, Son, Unmarried, Male, 4, Norfolk Booton
Ellenor Goff, Daughter, Female, 9 Mo, Norfolk Booton

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 1811; Folio: 36; Page: 1; GSU roll: 207464.
____

The oldest child in the 1851 census is 6 year old George, who would have been born around 1844-1845, indicating his parents would have been married around this time. I looked for the civil marriage index for John Gaff and Sarah at the FreeBMD website, and found it. However, the index shows that two girls named Sarah were married in the same quarter and same year, in the Aylsham registration district. They are Sarah Hill and Sarah Shorten. Marriage indexes do not show which two people married one another, but the marriage of John Gaff and Sarah can be found in Volume 13, Page 37 of the GRO registers:

Marriages December Quarter 1844

John Gaff
Thomas Hall
Sarah Hill
Sarah Shorten

Page: 37
____

The question of who John Gaff married is answered in the LDS index below, which shows he married Sarah Shorten in the “Sall” Church of England on 13 November 1844. John’s father is shown to be John Gaff. Sarah’s father is William Shorten. The marriage record can be found in GS microfilm number 1596459:

John Gaff, "England Marriages, 1538–1973 "

Name: John Gaff
Birth Date:
Birthplace:
Spouse's Name: Sarah Shorten
Spouse's Birth Date:
Spouse's Birthplace:
Spouse's Age:

Event Date: 13 Nov 1844
Event Place: Sall, Norfolk, England

Father's Name: John Gaff
Mother's Name:

Spouse's Father's Name: William Shorten
Spouse's Mother's Name:

Marital Status:
Previous Wife's Name:

Spouse's Marital Status:
Spouse's Previous Husband's Name:

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M00074-0S
Reference ID:
Item 8 p10

GS Film number: 1596459 = Parish registers for Sall, 1558-1924
Authors: Church of England. Parish Church of Sall (Norfolk) (Main Author)
Norfolk and Norwich Record Office (Norwich, England) (Repository):

Baptisms, 1559-1730; marriages, 1558-1643, 1661-1730; burials, 1558-1644, 1655-1730. Baptisms and burials, 1730-1813; marriages, 1730-1753. Baptisms, 1813-1924. Baptism register bill, 1869-1872. Draft baptisms and burials, 1885-1897. Marriages, 1754-1812; banns, 1754-1818. Marriages, 1814-1830. Marriages, 1837-1901.

Citing this Record
"England Marriages, 1538–1973 ," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NFRM-197 : accessed 14 Dec 2013), John Gaff and Sarah Shorten, 13 Nov 1844.
____

I also found the marriage of John Gaff and Sarah Shorten at the FreeREG website, showing the name of the church in Salle is St. Peter and St. Paul. This record also shows the couple were married by banns, and that both John and Sarah signed the marriage registers with an X. The witnesses to the marriage were John Watts and Mary Shorten:

Church of St. Peter and St. Paul, Salle, Norfolk

Marriage Date: 13 November 1844
Groom: John Gaff
Groom's Age:
Groom's Parish: Salle
Groom's Condition: Bachelor
Groom's Occupation: Labourer
Groom's Father: John Gaff
Groom's Father's Occupation: Labourer

Bride: Sarah Shorten
Bride's Age:
Bride's Parish: Salle
Bride's Condition: Spinster
Bride's Occupation:
Bride's Father: William Shorten
Bride's Father's Occupation: Labourer

Married by banns

Signed: John Gaff his X Mark, Sarah Shorten her X mark

Witnesses: John Watts, Mary Shorten

____

For photos and information about St. Peter and St. Paul Church of England in Salle, go to the following link: http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/salle/salle.htm

For a youtube video of the “roof bosses” (carved figures) inside the St. Peter and St. Paul Church in Salle, go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52suIRgyP0o

The roof bosses inside the church would have been looking down on John and Sarah when the couple married there in 1844.

Next I looked for the civil birth records for the children of John and Sarah Gaff.

Census records show these children are: George, Elijah, Eleanor, Enoch, Esau, Jacob, and Isaac. Your direct ancestor would be Jacob. I located the birth indexes for all seven children at the FreeBMD website. The births of the two oldest children, George and Elijah, were recorded in the Aylsham Registration District. The births of the other five children were recorded in the St. Faiths Registration District:

Birth December Quarter 1844

George Gaff

____

Birth June Quarter 1847

Elijah Gaff

Page: 101
____

Birth September Quarter 1850

Eleanor Gaff

Page: 107
____

Birth March Quarter 1853

Enoch Gaff

Registration District: St Faith's

Page: 100
____

Birth September Quarter 1855

Esau Gaff

Page: 79
____

Birth June Quarter 1858

Jacob Gaff

Page: 92
____

Birth December Quarter 1864

Isaac Gaff

Page: 99
____

Next I looked for the baptisms of John and Sarah Gaff’s children at the LDS and FreeREG websites, but only found the index for “Ellenor,” at the LDS website. She was baptized in the Aylsham Primitive Methodist Church on 28 July 1850. Her baptism record can be found in GS microfilm number 2299613. These baptisms cover the years 1836-1888. If you order this film see if you can find the baptism records for the other Gaff children, as the LDS have not placed all church records online to date:

Ellenor Gaff, "England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975"

Name: Ellenor Gaff
Christening Date: 28 Jul 1850
Christening Place: Aylsham, Norfolk, England
Birth Date:
Birthplace:
Death Date:

Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:

Mother's Name: Sarah
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I03956-7
System Origin: England-ODM
Reference ID:

GS Film number: 2299613 = Church records for the Aylsham Primitive Methodist circuit, 1836-1888
Author: Primitive Methodist Church. Aylsham Circuit (Norfolk);
Norfolk and Norwich Record Office (Norwich, England)

Baptisms, 1836-1888.

Citing this Record
"England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NYVW-M8L : accessed 14 Dec 2013), Ellenor Gaff, 28 Jul 1850.
____

I now wanted to find John Gaff and Sarah Shorten individually in the 1841 census, but could not identify them in that enumeration. I may have missed locating them, or they may not have been counted in the 1841 census.

JOHN GAFF

Next I looked for the baptism of John Gaff. His 1844 marriage record states his father was John. The census records show he was born in Haveringland, (also spelled Haverland in some records) Norfolk, about 1813. I found an index at the LDS website which may pertain to him, showing that a John “Goff” was baptized in the Haverland Church of England on 25 December 1812. His father is listed as John Goff and mother as Mary Edwards Goff:

John Goff, "England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941"

Name: John Goff
Event Date: 25 Dec 1812
Event Place: Haverland, Norfolk, England
Birth Year

Father's Name: John Goff
Mother's Name: Mary Edwards Goff

Digital Folder Number: 004210894
Image Number: 240

GS Film Number: 1278754 = Bishop's transcripts for the Archdeaconry of Norwich, 1685-1925
Author: Church of England. Archdeaconry of Norwich; Norfolk and Norwich Record Office
(Norwich, England).

Citing this Record
"England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/J35M-79H : accessed 14 Dec 2013), John Goff, 1812.
____

Attached to the LDS index is a copy of the original baptism entry for John Goff in the Haverland Church of England. The baptism wasn’t recorded in a formal baptism register, but penned on paper by the clergyman who baptized John, or by a clerk of the church. This record gives the further information that John Gaff was born on December 10, 1812, and baptized privately on the 25th day of December 1812. Being privately baptized may indicate that John was christened at home because he was too frail to be brought to the church, or the weather too severe to take him outside. I’ve transcribed the baptism entry for John Gaff below:

Haverland

A true & exact copy of the several ? made of the Baptisms
Burials & Marriages in the Parish Kirk of the Parish of Haver
land in Norfolk from the 25th Day of March 1812 to the 1st day
of January 1813

John the son of John Gaff and Mary his wife (late Mary Edwards,
Spinster), was born December 10th 1812 and privately bap.
tized December 25th 1812.

Citing this Record
"England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-11580-78642-95?... : accessed 14 Dec 2013), Norfolk > Archdeaconry of Norwich > 1812-1813 > A-Z > image 231 of 806.
____

Below is the baptism transcription for John Gaff from the FreeREG website, showing the name of the church in Haveringland is St. Peter’s:

Church of St. Peter, Haveringland, Norfolk

Date of Birth: 10 December 1812
Date of Baptism: 25 December 1812
Name: John, son of
Parents' Names: John Gaff & Mary Edwards
Father's Occupation:
Abode:

Note: Private Baptism

____

For photos and information about St. Peter’s Church of England, Haveringland, go to the following link: http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/haveringland/haveringland.h...

Below is the LDS marriage index for John Gaff and Mary Edwards. They were married in the Brandistone Church of England in 1801. The day and month of the marriage is not included in the index. The marriage can be found in GS microfilm number 1526138:

John Gaff, "England Marriages, 1538–1973 "

Birth Date:
Birthplace:
Spouse's Name: Mary Edwards
Spouse's Birth Date:
Spouse's Birthplace:
Spouse's Age:

Event Date: 1801
Event Place: Brandestone, Norfolk, England

Father's Name:
Mother's Name:

Spouse's Father's Name:
Spouse's Mother's Name:

Marital Status:
Previous Wife's Name:

Spouse's Marital Status:
Spouse's Previous Husband's Name:

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M16311-1
System Origin: England-VR
Reference ID: 2:3CCT7TS

GS Film number: 1526138 = Parish registers for Brandestone, 1562-1904
Authors: Church of England. Parish Church of Brandestone (Norfolk) (Main Author)
Baptisms, 1562-1902. Marriages, 1566-1901. Banns, 1759-1904. Burials, 1562-1902.

Citing this Record
"England Marriages, 1538–1973 ," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NXT5-ZLR : accessed 14 Dec 2013), John Gaff and Mary Edwards, 1801.
____

The marriage transcription below, from the FreeREG website, shows that John and Mary were married after banns in the Church of St. Nicholas, Brandistone, on 4 June 1801:

Church of St. Nicholas, Brandiston, Norfolk

Marriage Date: 4 June 1801
Groom: John Gaff
Groom's Age:
Groom's Parish
Groom's Condition: Bachelor

Bride: Mary Edwards
Bride's Age:
Bride's Parish:
Bride's Condition: Spinster

Married by banns

____

Below are the baptisms for several children of John Gaff and Mary Edwards. For some of the children you’ll see baptisms from both the LDS and FreeREG websites. Some of the LDS entries are linked to copies of the original baptism records, which I’ve transcribed for that particular Gaff child.

The baptisms of the children took place in either Sall, Brandestone, or in Haverland/Haveringland. Film numbers are also included in the indexes from the LDS website. You’ll also see there is a baptism index for a John Gaff for the year 1804. This child would have died young as John and Mary named another child John (your ancestor) who was born and baptized in 1812, as noted above.

The names and years of the baptisms for the Gaff children are: Mary (1802); John (1804); Thomas (1806); James (1808); Elizabeth (1810); James (1811); John (1812); Sarah (1815); Maria (1817); and Anne/Anna (1821).

In the 1815 baptisms you’ll see the LDS index names the child Susan, but that in a copy of the original baptism record, her name is actually Sarah.

The baptism records follow. I’ve also included the 1812 birth and baptism index for John “Goff “ once more so that you can see the full chronology of the records:

Mary Gaff, "England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975"

Name: Mary Gaff

Christening Date: 17 Jan 1802
Christening Place: Sall, Norfolk, England
Birth Date: 11 Jan 1802
Birthplace:

Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:

Mother's Name: Mary Edwards
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C00079-0
System Origin: England-ODM
Reference ID:

GS Film number: 1596459 IT 1-8 = Parish registers for Sall, 1558-1924
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Sall (Norfolk);
Norfolk and Norwich Record Office (Norwich, England):

Baptisms, 1559-1730; marriages, 1558-1643, 1661-1730; burials, 1558-1644, 1655-1730. Baptisms and burials, 1730-1813; marriages, 1730-1753. Baptisms, 1813-1924. Baptism register bill, 1869-1872. Draft baptisms and burials, 1885-1897. Marriages, 1754-1812; banns, 1754-1818. Marriages, 1814-1830. Marriages, 1837-1901.

Citing this Record
"England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NY8W-SBV : accessed 14 Dec 2013), Mary Gaff, 11 Jan 1802.
____

John Gaff, "England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975"

Christening Date: 29 Apr 1804
Christening Place: Brandestone, Norfolk, England

Birth Date:
Birthplace:

Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:

Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C16311-1
Reference ID: item 21

GS Film number: 1526138 = Parish registers for Brandestone, 1562-1904
Authors: Church of England. Parish Church of Brandestone (Norfolk) (Main Author)
Norfolk and Norwich Record Office (Norwich, England) (Repository):

Baptisms, 1562-1902. Marriages, 1566-1901. Banns, 1759-1904. Burials, 1562-1902.

Citing this Record
"England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NXNZ-WVD : accessed 14 Dec 2013), John Gaff, 29 Apr 1804.
____

Thomas Gaff, "England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975"

Name: Thomas Gaff
Christening Date: 13 Jul 1806
Christening Place: Haveringland, Norfolk, England

Birth Date:
Birthplace:

Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:

Mother's Name: Mary Edwards Gaff
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I07397-1
Reference ID: Item 25 p 17

GS Film number: 1657158 = Parish registers of Haveringland, 1684-1907
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Haveringland (Norfolk);
Norfolk and Norwich Record Office (Norwich, England).

Contains baptisms 1694-1812; marriages 1695-1747, 1756-1902; burials 1695-1761 (with baptisms of Bays family, 1684 and 1689).

Citing this Record
"England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NND4-Z2Q : accessed 14 Dec 2013), Thomas Gaff, 13 Jul 1806.
____

Date of Birth: 4 May 1808
Date of Baptism:
Name: James, son of
Father's Occupation:
Abode:

Note: Received into the Church 18 June 1811

____

Elizabeth Gaff, "England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975"

Name: Elizabeth Gaff

Christening Date: 14 Oct 1810

Birth Date:
Birthplace:

Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:

Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:

Reference ID: Item 25 p 18

Citing this Record
"England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NND4-8C9 : accessed 14 Dec 2013), Elizabeth Gaff, 14 Oct 1810.

AND

Date of Birth: 13 October 1810
Date of Baptism: 14 October 1810
Name: Elizabeth, daughter of
Father's Occupation:
Abode:

Note: Privately Baptized

____

James Gaff, "England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975"

Name: James Gaff

Christening Date: 02 Jun 1811
Birth Date:
Birthplace:

Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:

Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:

Reference ID: Item 25 p 18

Citing this Record
"England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NND4-ZY5 : accessed 14 Dec 2013), James Gaff, 02 Jun 1811.
____

John Goff, "England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941"

Name: John Goff
Event Date: 25 Dec 1812
Birth Year

Mother's Name: Mary Edwards Goff

Digital Folder Number: 004210894
Image Number: 240

GS Film Number: 1278754 = Bishop's transcripts for the Archdeaconry of Norwich, 1685-1925
(Norwich, England).

Citing this Record
"England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/J35M-79H : accessed 14 Dec 2013), John Goff, 1812.

AND

Haverland

A true & exact copy of the several ? made of the Baptisms
Burials & Marriages in the Parish Kirk of the Parish of Haver
land in Norfolk from the 25th Day of March 1812 to the 1st day
of January 1813

John the son of John Gaff and Mary his wife (late Mary Edwards,
Spinster), was born December 10th 1812 and privately bap.
tized December 25th 1812.

Citing this Record
"England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-11580-78642-95?... : accessed 14 Dec 2013), Norfolk > Archdeaconry of Norwich > 1812-1813 > A-Z > image 231 of 806.

AND

Date of Birth: 10 December 1812
Date of Baptism: 25 December 1812
Name: John, son of
Father's Occupation:
Abode:

Note: Private Baptism

____

Sarah Gaff, "England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941"
Name: Sarah
Event Date: 26 Mar 1815
Event Place: Haveringhand, Norfolk, England

Birth Year (Estimated):

Digital Folder Number: 004389224
Image Number: 1721

GS Film Number: 1278785 = Bishop's transcripts for the Archdeaconry of Norwich, 1685-1925
(Norwich, England)

Citing this Record
"England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/27ZG-KR9 : accessed 14 Dec 2013), Susan Gaff, 1815.

AND

HAVERINGLAND 1815 [ PAGE ]

BAPTISMS solemnized in te Parish of Haverland
in the County of Norfolk in the Year one tthousand, eight
hundred, and fifteen

When Baptized. 1816. 26 March
When Born. born 24 ?
No. 1
Child's Chrisian Name. Sarah
Parents's Names.John Gaff & Mary late Edwards
Abode. Haverland
Quality, Trade, or Profession. Labourer
By whom the Ceremony was performed. T. Dade, Curate

"England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12330-95727-16?... : accessed 14 Dec 2013), Norfolk > Archdeaconry of Norwich > 1815 > D-K > image 144 of 270.

AND

Date of Birth: 24 March 1815
Date of Baptism: 26 March 1815
Name: Sarah, daughter of
Father's Occupation: Labourer
Abode:

____

Maria Goff, "England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941"

Name: Maria Goff
Event Date: 06 Apr 1817

Birth Year (Estimated):

Digital Folder Number: 004142880
Image Number: 1056

GS Film Number: 1278797 = Bishop's transcripts for the Archdeaconry of Norwich, 1685-1925
(Norwich, England).

Citing this Record
"England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/J359-2PB : accessed 14 Dec 2013), Maria Goff, 1817.

AND

HAVERINGLAND 1817 [ PAGE ]

BAPTISMS solemnized in te Parish of Haverland
in the County of Norfolk in the Year one tthousand, eight
hundred, and 17

When Baptized. 6 April
When Born. 4 April
No. 39
Child's Chrisian Name. Maria
Parents's Names.John Gaff & Mary late Edwards
Abode. Haverland
By whom the Ceremony was performed. T. Dade

"England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-14262-7044-84?cc=... : accessed 14 Dec 2013), Norfolk > Archdeaconry of Norwich > 1817 > D-K > image 149 of 254.

AND

Date of Birth: 4 April 1817
Date of Baptism: 6 April 1817
Name: Maria, daughter of
Father's Occupation: Labourer
Abode:

____

Anne Gaff, "England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941"

Name: Anne Gaff
Event Date: 07 Oct 1821
Event Place: Haveringland, Norfolk, England

Digital Folder Number: 004142887
Image Number: 903

GS Film Number: 1278922 = Bishop's transcripts for the Archdeaconry of Norwich, 1685-1925
(Norwich, England).

Citing this Record
"England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/J358-BLQ : accessed 14 Dec 2013), Anne Gaff, 1821.

AND

HAVERINGLAND 1821 [ PAGE 9 ]

BAPTISMS solemnized in the Parish of Haverland
in the County of Norfolk in the Year 1821

When Baptized. October 7th
When Born. 23 Sepetember
No. 77
Child's Chrisian Name. Anna, Daughter of
Parents's Names. John Gaff & Mary late Edwards
Abode. Haverland
By whom the Ceremony was performed. B: Cook, Curate

"England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-14264-62859-5?cc=... : accessed 14 Dec 2013), Norfolk > Archdeaconry of Norwich > 1821 > D-K > image 163 of 276.
____

CONCLUSION

I’ll close for now Carly, as I don’t want this to be too overwhelming. Before adding any of the above information to your permanent genealogical files, go through each record to see if you agree that they pertain to your direct, as well as collateral lines.

Merry Christmas,

Dave
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
cmcooper_9490 6 Apr 2013 6:58PM GMT 
DaveBoylan 9 Dec 2013 6:04PM GMT 
cmcooper_9490 9 Dec 2013 9:53PM GMT 
DaveBoylan 9 Dec 2013 10:27PM GMT 
cmcooper_9490 11 Dec 2013 2:07PM GMT 
DaveBoylan 10 Dec 2013 10:30PM GMT 
cmcooper_9490 11 Dec 2013 2:22PM GMT 
DaveBoylan 11 Dec 2013 11:35PM GMT 
DaveBoylan 17 Dec 2013 4:39AM GMT 
DaveBoylan 22 Dec 2013 10:56PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions