Search for content in message boards

Oxfordshire Family History Society meeting - Monday 22 October 2012

Replies: 0

Oxfordshire Family History Society meeting - Monday 22 October 2012

Posted: 14 Oct 2012 6:43AM GMT
Classification: Query
Colleagues

The next meeting of the Oxfordshire Family History Society will take place on Monday 22 October 2012. It will be held at the usual venue at Exeter Hall, Oxford Road, Kidlington, Oxford OX5 1AB. Doors open at 7.15pm for coffee, help with both genealogy and computers, and the bookstall.

The subject of the talk at 8.00pm is "My Ancestor was an Apprentice", which will be presented by Stuart Raymond. The latter assures me that we all have apprentices amongst our ancestors. There are a variety of sources which may tell us about them. Stuart's lecture will outline the history of apprenticeship, will describe the basic sources which can be used to trace apprentices, and will tell the researcher how to find those sources.

Our speaker Stuart Raymond is a former librarian, who also has a keen interest in studying the sources used by family and local historians. He has written innumerable books. Stuart is a partner in "The Family History Partnership", and that firm has recently published his "The Home Front 1939-45: Sources for Family Historians". Meanwhile, "Pen & Sword" are about to publish Stuart's latest title "The Wills of our Ancestors". And, of course, the Society of Genealogists have recently published the title "My ancestor was an Apprentice", on which the talk is based. Stuart will also be bringing a small stock of his books to sell at the meeting.

All members, potential members and their guests are welcome.

For directions as to how to get to the Exeter Hall, please see :-

http://www.ofhs.org.uk/ExeterHall.html

For a list of future OFHS meetings, please see :-

http://www.ofhs.org.uk/meetings.html

Any queries, please contact me.

Paul Gaskell
Publicity Officer
Oxfordshire Family History Society
www.ofhs.org.uk

Find a board about a specific topic