We have just launched a new Oxfordshire DNA project to try to find and link long-standing Oxfordshire families and are looking for anyone with Oxfordshire ancestry going back into the mid-19th century and preferably earlier, to join. If you have already had a DNA test done (male or female lines) and have Oxfordshire ancestry, then log on to http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Oxfordshire
and request to transfer your results to our project.
In addition, Oxfordshire Family History Society (OFHS) is offering two free DNA tests to support our launch.
You do however need to be a member of OFHS to enter the competition to win a test. See http://www.ofhs.org.uk
for membership details.
For the competition, all you have to do is submit 400-600 words on why you feel a test would be useful to help you discover more about your Oxfordshire family/families using DNA, including a short summary on your family and your family history ‘brick walls’. Send to firstname.lastname@example.org
before 30th May 2013. Terms and conditions are:
1. All entrants must be members of the OFHS as of 1 May 2013.
2. Entrants must have at least 3 generations of Oxfordshire ancestors in the 19th century or earlier.
3. The OFHS Executive Committee will pick the two winning entrants. The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence can be entered into regarding judging. The judges reserve the right to award one or zero free tests if the quality of entries justifies that action.
4. The competition closes on 31st May 2013 and winners will be notified by 1st July 2013.
5. Winners agree to having their stories publicised by the OFHS. Full test results and ID numbers on the DNA site will not however be released to the public.