Search for content in message boards

UK Searching pre 1841

Replies: 50

Re: UK Searching pre 1841

Posted: 27 Aug 2012 6:29AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi there

I have found this:-

When you have searched mum dad, siblings, you can search census. Before the 1841 it is hard to come by records.

However, using the parish records search you can search up marriages, births, deaths. This leads onto linking in the parents of a Mum or dad, 9/10 it gives the father of the bride. This is more helpful if you have an idea of the area the person lived.

EG I wanted to find the parents of my 5th great grandparents. I knew it was in London somewhere ( alot of researching but fun) so i found the marriage of my 4th great grandparents and the Banns. 9/10 it gives the fathers name. From here i had the father, so i put the father in, typed the average DOB and London clicked search and sure enough there it was... this lead me back to 1668, working this way.

It is important to check and re check your findings.. if not sure put a ? on the record you have in your tree.. and in the profile - write a story.. keep your findings in there and update it as you go....

There are a lot of parish records way back in time.

I dont know if any of you know but if you type:-

www.ancestry.co.uk/parish

you can research an area, maps, information. You can also search registers. a very useful HELP is on there too.

Also very importantly KEEP a hard copy... I have a A4 fullscap book.. and I write down what i want to do - and any questions i want to answer.. In the begining i had a small tree in my book to refer to, but now i just keep info i find and keep to answering my questions.. I write down family stories and info i have been given for each family member .. it really helps.

Research outside of Ancestry too. many a time I have typed a family name and date and there is someone else out there who is doing the exact same..

start with something you know.. and work from there. Ask family members questions if you can.. and join up with family research forums.. they are so good for the mind and you might be able to help someone too...

good luck

sj
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
moggyman 11 Mar 2009 1:48PM GMT 
martinmerlin3 11 Mar 2009 3:29PM GMT 
moggyman 11 Mar 2009 3:34PM GMT 
martinmerlin3 15 Mar 2009 12:49PM GMT 
moggyman 15 Mar 2009 12:54PM GMT 
suffolkmawthe... 22 Jun 2009 9:46PM GMT 
suffolkmawthe... 22 Jun 2009 9:51PM GMT 
moggyman 23 Jun 2009 6:48AM GMT 
sarahjanearti... 27 Aug 2012 12:29PM GMT 
robmoff 23 Jun 2009 1:23PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions