Search for content in message boards

Question about Abbreviation - British Currency

Replies: 9

Re: Re: Question about Abbreviation - British Currency

Posted: 25 Nov 2012 1:53AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Nov 2012 1:56AM GMT
Having been at school in England a very, very long time ago, we used to use these marks in all of our maths work involving money. The " was written between £ s and d., as I recall. I think I used to write it slightly raised up from the bottom of the line, but perhaps it should have been on the line and I was just a bit sloppy with my work! I believe they were simple separators, used to ensure there was no confusion as to which number referred to £s and which to shillings etc. and were particularly valuable as column separators when performing additions and other calculations.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
elizabeee 23 Sep 2012 2:04PM GMT 
ELLinSpain 24 Sep 2012 5:51PM GMT 
elizabeee 24 Sep 2012 7:05PM GMT 
TeamOwen 24 Sep 2012 9:52PM GMT 
elizabeee 24 Sep 2012 10:28PM GMT 
BelleRinger 12 Oct 2012 10:56AM GMT 
halpark 29 Oct 2012 1:51PM GMT 
moriati56 25 Nov 2012 8:53AM GMT 
AnneKeen75 19 Oct 2012 8:21PM GMT 
kbarry11 15 Dec 2012 2:04PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic