Search for content in message boards

1855 Drowning off Isle of Man, John NIJER

Replies: 2

1855 Drowning off Isle of Man, John NIJER

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 9:45AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: NIJER
Since I have access to some Sighthill Cemetery records on microfilm at the local Family History Center, I was looking up someone in my family and ran across a most unusual entry for someone who drowned in 1855. Sighthill is in northern Glasgow.

John N I J E R was an entry on December 15, 1855. There was no Lairholder's name nor was there anything entered for parent's names [or any kinsmen]. The only bits entered on the "Daily Entries" ledger was his name, the date and that he "Died at sea off the Isle of Mann, Steamer Lynx". Buried December 15th at 3pm. Class No. 13. Cost 1-6.

Checked both Message Boards and Mailing Lists, there is no NIJER surname List where this could be entered to be in the Archives. Even checked ScotlandsPeople for any NIJER deaths from 1855 to 2011 in any parish, none were returned. Then checked pre-1855 Deaths, nothing for NIJER, there seem to be none at all in the system. I am wondering if perhaps the man was dark skinned and a name was invented to intimate this...since it gave me that thought, it might for others who are looking for him in any records. His name was clearly entered, the term 'Unknown' was not anywhere near it.

If anyone is good at looking for ship names, have a go at the LYNX. Maybe its origin or usual route may give a clue. Wikipedia has a ton of LYNX entries but it is obviously not this one because of the date mentioned [1813] and that it had only 2 runs before being captured and renamed. If this poor soul drowned and there is even a one line entry in the Sighthill books to remember him by, its worth the effort to get this into Rootsweb List Archives. Meg Greenwood / Oklahoma USA
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Meg Greenwood 17 Jan 2013 4:45PM GMT 
bbffrrpp 18 Jan 2013 10:51AM GMT 
Meg Greenwood 18 Jan 2013 7:17PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions