Search for content in message boards

Donnelly and Malloy/Molloy

Replies: 0

Donnelly and Malloy/Molloy

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 12:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Donnelly Malloy McGarrity
My GGF was William L Donnelly, born in Ireland about 1852, son of Loughlin "Luke" Donnelly and Catherine Malloy/Molloy.

I do not yet have absolute confirmation, but the family may have come from County Antrim, perhaps the Ballymoney area.

Catherine and William came to the US - Catherine around 1866 and William in 1872. Catherine died in New York in 1879. William lived in New York City for about 20 years, then moved to New Jersey, where he died in 1932.

I believe Loughlin may have died in Ireland, but I do not have absolute confirmation. A Loughlin Donnelly died in Ballymoney in 1866. The informant was Peter Donnelly. A working theory is that this Loughlin is my 2xg grandfather.

I have been unable to find a birth record for William or a marriage for Loughlin and Catherine.

Suspected, but unproven, siblings of William are Loughlin, Francis/Frank (married Mary Brady), John (married Bridget Hughes), Hugh (married Johanna Callahan), Patrick, James, Margaret and Catherine. They were all living in the same tenements in the Hell's Kitchen area of Manhattan between 1870 and 1880. Names were found at the same addresses in the city directories, but not listed together in the census. When found in the census, there is a wide spread of ages, so some may be uncles, rather than brothers.

William was married twice - first to Elizabeth Fetherston, who died 1890 in NYC, and second to my GGM, Catherine McGarrity from County Tyrone.

I've searched in familysearch, rootsireland and emeraldancestors, without success for the birth of William and marriage of Loughlin and Catherine. Any hints or help would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks.

Find a board about a specific topic