Search for content in message boards

Have you lost a Davidson? Thomas William Davidson born 1869 in Co Antrim, Ireland

Replies: 5

Re: Have you lost a Davidson?

Posted: 12 Apr 2013 5:06AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 12 Apr 2013 5:07AM GMT
Hi Pam. Working backwards
1. In the 1911 census they are boarders at Rosa Rossers boarding house at
55 Walnut Tree Walk Parish Lambeth
Thomas Harrison Married ;Age 41 Estimated Year of Birth 1870
Occupation Market Porter; Place of Birth Co Antrim Ireland. British
Alice Mary Harrison Married / 6 Years Total Children Born Alive 1 Children Still Living 1 Age 38 Estimated Year of Birth 1873 Employed N Working at Home N Place of Birth Gosport Hampshire Nationality British
William Thomas Harrison Age 5 Estimated Year of Birth 1906 Place of Birth Woolwich Kent Woolwich JimG’s Notes. Thomas’s occupation means he has left the army or he hasn’t joined it yet
2. freeBMDs website
Births Mar 1906
Harrison, William Thomas Woolwich 1d 1301
Marriages Qter Yr ending Jun 1905
Griffiths, Alice May Woolwich 1d ref 1985
Harrison, Thomas Woolwich 1d ref 1985
3. To clear if he registered changing his name, a book exists
The Index to Changes of Name for UK and Ireland 1760-1901 by WP Phillimore and Edward Alex Fry: is made up of information from the following sources:Private Acts of Parliamen;Royal Licences published in the London and Dublin Gazettes;notices of changes of name published in The Times after 1861 with a few notices from other newspapers;registers of the Lord Lyon [King of Arms] where Scottish changes of name were commonly recorded;records in the office of the Ulster King at Arms;some private information. It does not include changes by Royal licence not advertised in the London Gazette, changes by deed poll that were enrolled but not advertised in The Times.
A copy is available at The National Archives and some libraries (ISBN: 1861500432) or can be ordered as a CD online. It would great if he did register it somehow , but I think it unlikely unless the army insisted.
4. The 1901 English census I have tried. there are several possibles including Thomas Harrisons who were married without children egThomas Harrison Head Married Age Last Birthday 33{~ ie1868} Bricklayer Born Ireland. If he was in the army and the 2nd Dgn Gds he should be in SA Boer war.
5. The 1901 Irish Census I have tried.
6. The 1891 English census includes
Canterbury barracks includes 12th Lancers; 7th Hussars; 1st Dragoon Guards 2nd Dragoon Guards, Capt. Douglas, Lieut. Cordeaux, Lieut. Gordon etc
Thomas Harrison;Age 23 Est Birth 1868; Occupation Private 2nd Dgn Gds Birth Place Ireland; [There is also a Michael Harrison aged 18, born Ireland in same barracks]. I went hunting for 2nd Dragoon Guards and Ballincollig,Co Cork. The results state the 2nd Dgn Gds stayed in Ireland during 1875-1885, and during 1886 while the 1ST Irish Home Rule Bill was being discussed . If Thomas was recruited say when he was 16 or 17, he might have left home to volunteer and forwhatever reason changed his name as he did so. 2nd Dgn Gds were also stationed at Ballincollig barracks. So I reach the point that this could be your Thomas William, who then leaves the army, when is not clear, if he stayed he could have left when he got married. If he was in the Boer wars in the 2nd Dgn Gds he should have been issued with a medal or two, that list was in the national archives, but I think now is only available from a website Findmypast. Com with fee charges. WW1 medal lists are available at the National Archives Kew but I couldn’t find quickly find any Thomas serving in the 2nd Dgn Gds.
I found eg Reference:WO 372/24/112742 Description:
Medal card of Harrison, Thomas Royal Engineers 60663 Farrier Serjeant Reference:WO 372/9/69861
Medal card of Harrison, Thomas Royal Horse Artillery 51147 Corporal Royal Garrison Artillery173738 Serjeant
Finally which university, the nearest would have been Queen’s College est 1845, it became a university in its own right in 1908, but called itself a univ before that date. In Dublin is Trinity college with aluminae lists published. Some Co Antrim students went to Glasgow university, To have completed a degree would mean 3 years and so he would have been 20 at least. So he couldn’t have joined the army until say 1888 at the earliest. Lets suppose he graduated as Davidson, that should be findable. Then something traumatic happened for him to join the army whenever.
I think that’s all I can offer, You need the details of the marriage, in particular witnesses, the same at any baptism.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
SambaPam 7 Apr 2013 4:51PM GMT 
jimsanssouci 8 Apr 2013 10:51AM GMT 
SambaPam 8 Apr 2013 12:11PM GMT 
jimsanssouci 10 Apr 2013 12:55PM GMT 
jimsanssouci 12 Apr 2013 11:06AM GMT 
SambaPam 15 Apr 2013 4:56PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions