Replies: 10

Re: DOUGLASS, MOORHEAD

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 7:03AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Polk, Pollock, Moorehead, Moorhead
First off, I'm not related to the Moorehead/Moorhead
families. I descend from James Pollock (whose wife was
Margaret), who took out a warrant in 1762 for land(then)in
Hopewell Twp., Cumberland Co. PA. The survey maps show a John Moorehead and Samuel Mitchell as his adjoining neighbors. This said John Moorehead and Samuel Mitchell were on several tax lists along with James Pollock beginning with the 1762 tax list of Hopewell Twp., Cumberland County. I'm trying to locate exactly where this tract of land is today.

James Pollock's will (witnessed by John 'Moorehead' and Samuel Mitchell) was proven in 1772, naming children James, John, Robert, William and daughters Jean who married a Hinman and Martha who married William Dobson.
Sons Robert and William, who by 1772 when their father died, were married with families of their own living on the Eastern Shore, Baltimore, MD and Accomack Co., VA respectively. (All of the children of James and Margaret Pollock went by the surname of POLK)

James Pollock's will left the family plantation to his oldest son John, whom unfortunately had already passed away by the time the will was probated. John's will (witnessed by John Moorehead and Samuel McKinney), signed Oct 27, 1772 left the family land to his brother James, who was issued testamentary papers on Jun 14, 1774, who had apparently died as the land was finally re-surveyed Aug 18, 1775 for sons Robert and William Polk, then being described in Hopewell Twp., Cumberland Co., PA. This survey map shows neighbors John 'Moorehead', Thomas McClelland (patented 1762), Samuel Mitchell (patented 1763) and John Mitchell.

I also have copies of 3 pertinent re-survey maps for John 'Moorhead' (which show adjoining land 'formerly of Robert and William Polk').

The first, containing 192 acres, re-surveyed Aug 28, 1809 'in pursuance of a warrant granted to John Moorhead dated Nov 21, 1745'. Adjoining land owners James Dysert, Thomas McClelland, Alexander McMullin and land 'formerly of John Brown'. (On the map, a forked creek runs right across the property).

The next, 40 acres of the southern part of the above mentioned tract has been divided off: Hopewell Twp., Cumberland Co., struck off in 'pursuance of a warrant granted to John Moorhead dated Nov 21, 1745' re-surveyed for John 'Moorhead' on Nov 17, 1813. Benjamin Dysert is shown as neighbor.

The third, is a map of the remaining 153 acres in Hopewell Twp., re-surveyed for John 'Moorhead' on Nov 17, 1813, in 'pursuance of a warrant granted to John Moorhead dated Nov 21, 1745'. Adjoining land owners Benjamin Dysert, Joseph McClelland, Samuel Wherrey, and land formerly of Alexander McMullin, and land 'formerly of Robert and William Polk'.

The fact that this John Moorhead was still alive in 1813 (when the last survey was made in his name), who had originally patented the property in 1745, means he lived on that land for 68 years. He had to have been a fairly young man when he originally settled on that land. Surely not much younger than 20 years old, which would put his date of birth no sooner (realistically) than around 1725.

I've followed all the messages in all the genealogy message boards for a John Moorehead/Moorhead, Morehead that lived in Cumberland County and it seems very likely that the John Moorehead that lived adjacent to James Pollock all those years was the John Moorehead that died in 1785 in Westmoreland Co., PA and that the John Moorehead that the land in Hopewell Twp. was re-surveyed for in 1809 and 1813, was for his SON, John Moorehead.

Now to add some more intrigue to all this information is the fact that DNA evidence of my uncle Polk's tested in 2009 proves a positive connection of our James Pollock of Hopewell Twp, Cumberland Co. to a Robert and Magdalen Tasker Polk that immigrated from County Donegal, Northern Ireland to Somerset Co. MD in the late 1680's. That descendancy has been proven thoroughly and there is no loose James Pollock (to my knowledge)that could be my James Pollock ancestor, so I'm pretty convinced that my James Pollock ancestor was a brother or cousin of that Robert Polk of Somerset Co. MD. I have no proof of the ancestry of that Robert Polk of Somerset Co., MD but his wife, Magdalen Tasker was the dau. of Col. Roger Tasker, who bequeathed a tract of land to her in Ballendrait, Lifford, Co. Donegal. On the 1665 Hearth Tax Rolls of the Parish of Raphoe (that butts up to the village of Lifford, is listed a John and Robert POKE, whom I believe is the Robert Polk that married Magdalen Tasker. One of the sons of this Rpobert and Magdalen Tasker Polk named a tract of land 'Raphoe' and another named one 'Ballendrait', possibly alluding that this is where their parents came from. Earlier books written about this Robert Polk contend that he or his parents were from Scotland and came over to Ireland during the Plantation.

Now, back to my original quest, who was the John Moorehead who originally patented the land in 1745 and where exactly was this property still listed as being in Hopewell Twp., Cumberland Co, PA in 1813?

Becki (Polk) Pavlik
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
phylal 1 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT 
gladys morehead day 3 Nov 2001 12:29AM GMT 
RozenaSnell 25 Jan 2002 1:29AM GMT 
gladys morehead day 25 Jan 2002 2:25AM GMT 
RozenaSnell 25 Jan 2002 6:09PM GMT 
gladys 26 Jan 2002 5:52PM GMT 
Gary D. Wilso... 21 Sep 2008 11:03AM GMT 
patriciabranh... 9 Apr 2004 4:03AM GMT 
beckipavlik 3 Dec 2012 2:03PM GMT 
marykeefer 7 Feb 2004 5:02PM GMT