Search for content in message boards

Henry Drain of Mill Quarter, Grange of Ballyscullion

Replies: 14

Re: Henry Drain of Mill Quarter, Grange of Ballyscullion

Posted: 25 May 2004 8:02AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Drain
Hello.

No, unfortunately, I don't have any additional information, but it's great to know that someone else is researching this family in this same area. I wouldn't be surprised if we are a generation or two away from linking our branches.

I was seeking information on Henry Drain in Mill Quarter because he is one of the leading candidates to be the father of my immigrant ancestor John Drain, b. abt. 1866 in "County Antrim". He emigrated to the U.S. about 1888 and unfortunately died in Chicago 6 years later at the age of 28. I don't have any information on his parents or his hometown. What I do have is a couple of vague clues. I know that John's oldest son (my great-grandfather) was named Henry. Given Irish patronymics -- as well as the fact that his second son was named after John's wife's father -- it is perhaps likely that John's father was named Henry. Looking through the Griffith's Valuation, I noticed a Henry Drain in Mill Quarter. I have yet to obtain any information on this Henry yet.

I also know that an "Eliza Drain" was witness to John wedding in Chicago in 1890 and a sponsor of one of his sons. I do not know if she was a sister, cousin or aunt. The marriage index of Cook County, Illinois, gives a number of Drain grooms during this period (Charles L. in 1894, Daniel in 1878, Joseph W. in 1890, Patrick "Draine" in 1891, and a bride: Charlotte in 1882). They also list some deaths (James in 1896, age 3; James O. in 1892, age 23; and my John).

The above Patrick and James O. could correspond to two sons mentioned by someone on the Drain rootsweb research list (Lorraine O'Connell: lorraineoconnell@hotmail.com) of John and Mary Gribben Drain of Castlequarter, Antrim. This couple does have a John, but he was born in 1871. (If you send me your e-mail, I can forward her entire message, where she lists a number of Drains born between 1861 and 1871...I'm sure she has additional information, as well...I just haven't known what to ask her next.)

There is a John Drain mentioned in a list of ship arrivals in 1888, coming from Larne and aged 24 (which is 2 years older than I would have expected).

I also know that John worked for his wife's uncle as a blacksmith/horseshoer.

The answers are in there somewhere and I'm glad to combine forces to find them. This has been one of my biggest brick walls to be sure.

Is your family still in Ireland or the U.K.? or did they emigrate, as well?

Thanks for responding, and I look forward to solving the puzzle.

Best regards, David
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
davidscottdra... 26 Feb 2004 6:34PM GMT 
eivey16 23 May 2004 4:10AM GMT 
David_Drane 25 May 2004 2:02PM GMT 
lstrong5 12 Jun 2004 12:58AM GMT 
David Drane 14 Jun 2004 7:16PM GMT 
megmooney 15 Jul 2009 2:19PM GMT 
dsdrane 15 Jul 2009 2:34PM GMT 
benjey 12 Aug 2011 12:52AM GMT 
pflanzendieb 18 Sep 2006 7:23AM GMT 
David Scott Drane 18 Sep 2006 3:49PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions