Cunningham migrants to co Mayo after the the Diamond Fight 1795-96

Replies: 0

Cunningham migrants to co Mayo after the the Diamond Fight 1795-96

Posted: 9 May 2012 1:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 9 May 2012 1:21PM GMT
Surnames: cunningham
Hi all,

My great grandfather John Joseph Cunningham was born in Cashel / Castlenageeha in county Mayo in about 1863. Family lore says that the Cunninghams originally came from Ulster. I've been studying the Diamond Fight & the subsequent migrations of Catholics out of Ulster. I have a good deal of information, if anyone is interested.

Anyhow, his grandfather was John Cunningham, born about 1780. I have been tracing some of the migrants, and found the following details (see below) and wondering if there would be any sources do find birth records of Catholics in the Drumgor area for 1780 or so. Also, if anyone has any suggestions on where to find info.

thanks,
John

Migration from Ulster to County Mayo in 1795-'96

Those who settled in the Ballina area were nearly all from North Armagh. They included four families of Maguinness from the townland of Crossmacahilly near Lurgan, three families of Lennons and two families (Edward and John were the heads of each family) of Cunninghams from the townland of Drumgor, five families of Dorans from the townland of Moyraverty (now in Craigavon), two families of Rooneys from Tamnafiglassan; McCanns, McGarveys, Burns, Morgans, Devins and McOns, all from the parish of Shankill (which is the official name of the parish in which the town of Lurgan is situated), McCrorys, O'Neills, Carrs, Coyles, McVeighs, Hanlons, Hursons and Dullaghans.

Those who settled in Crossmolina included four families of Toal or O'Toole, Quinns, McDonnells, O'Neills, Geatons, Hendricks and McDaids; those who made Foxford their home included McGuinnesses, McConvilles, Devlins, Cunninghams, McCanns, McNeeces and Brannagans.

Newport received Owen Conlon with a household of 10; Philip Doyle (3), Ed McCray (8), Hugh McGeoghan (7), Danl. McShinnador (now anglicised Skeffington, 3); Patk. Devlin (9), Arthur McGurla (5), Hugh McTague (10), Laur. Tonney, Pat Corrigan (9), Michael Garrity and Thos. Flynn, all from East and South Tyrone.

Additionally, I have a reference for a family of 4, headed by AThomas Cunningham from Edenderry who migrated to Mayo.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions