Search for content in message boards

McKell, Jones, Spence in Portadown area

Replies: 0

McKell, Jones, Spence in Portadown area

Posted: 10 May 2012 1:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 May 2012 1:58PM GMT
Surnames: McKell, Jones, Spence
I am seeking contact with folks who may be researching these family names from the early 1800s in County Armagh. I am descended from James McKell (1775-1835) and his wife Margaret Jones McKell (1774-1858) who were (probably) born in or near Derryhail Township near Portadown and who have grave markers in the Church of Ireland churchyard in Moy. (Moy is actually across the Blackwater River from Portadown and is in County Tyrone.)
James and Margaret had at least seven children, one of whom, William McKell (1809-1882) came to America in about 1830, eventually settling in Chillicothe, Ohio. William was my g-g-grandfather. He began a successful business importing glass and queensware (china) which he operated until his death.
James and Margaret had a daughter Eliza McKell (~1821-~1899) who married Andrew Spence (~1814-1899) in Ulster. They had five children in Ireland before immigrating to America in about 1848, and then three more children born in Chillicothe. After the Civil War, the Spences left Ohio for Fond du Lac, Wisconsin.
I have accumulated a significant amount of information on the descendants of James and Margaret McKell, as well as the Spences. I would enjoy hearing from anyone who is also researching these folks, or who has reason to believe they may have a connection to this family.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions