Search for content in message boards

McColough McCollough Parkes

Replies: 3

Re: McColough McCollough Parkes

Posted: 26 Jul 2012 4:02AM GMT
Classification: Query
Thanks for your effort; "rconard" while i have collected many of the NY names they have been dismissed.
I have proof they arrived and stayed in Nova Scotia long enough to have 13 children.
As for many of the Irish place names mentioned i must confess my lack of knowledge but again I have proof of Archibald McColough, being born in Armagh in 1787 also his wife Jane Parkes also come from an area nearby possibly Dundalk (believed to also be in Armagh
The family attended Presbyterian Church in Nova Scotia but they seemed to change over the years possible due to proximity of church?
First names of oldest child was always Archibald other first names were common James, Robert and John were used for subsequent children also the wife’s family name also appeared as a second name in subsequent generations.
Regarding the Surname McColough the family appeared to be literate enough to write long letters and sign their names McColough this includes Archibald born 1787 but it is obvious that officials used derivatives. The ships log for the trip to Australia made the name almost unrecognizable and was only found due to the fact they named the first house built in Kangaroo Flats after the ship that carried them to Australia.
My next step should be to try and tie the McColough and Parkes families together and look for a derivative of McColough that used as a fist name Archibald.
Is there any other advice?
Regards
Graham
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
gnotreal 25 Jul 2012 12:13PM GMT 
rconard190 25 Jul 2012 3:27PM GMT 
gnotreal 26 Jul 2012 10:02AM GMT 
gnotreal 21 Jan 2013 2:21AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions