Search for content in message boards

McColough McCollough Parkes

Replies: 3

McColough McCollough Parkes

Posted: 25 Jul 2012 6:13AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am a newbie to this mailing list but I have been searching for my roots for many years.

I have found one record of a ship with McColough's aboard from Warrenpoint a town some 80 km North of Dublin near Newry around 1808 leaving for Nova Scotia. The family records seem to say they went to Nova Scotia In small groups sometime between 1780 and 1810?

The Census records of Nova Scotia are excellent and the family have stated they come from Ireland,(no town or county). Folk law says we come from Armagh.

I have seen grave stones with the name McColough on a church in Dromore near Belfast.

While some of the family stayed in Nova Scotia and become successful farmers others migrated to America in the Massachusetts and Connecticut areas while others my direct line migrated from Nova Scotia to Melbourne, Australia, in 1852. As Australian shipping records were good at that time I can trace the journey and arrival accurately.

I have tried for DNA matching and searches of graves but have yet to find proof that the McColough's existed for any length of time in any part of Ireland or if they changed their name. It would seem on the surface they just disappeared no trace of them exists in Ireland at this time that is known.

If anyone can point me in the right direction regarding shipping from Warrenpoint, or the surname McColough or place of dwelling or any time line of events at that time that may lead me to further my research I would appreciate the gesture.

for more information on my family see w w w mccolough dot net

Graham McColough

Melbourne Australia
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
gnotreal 25 Jul 2012 12:13PM GMT 
rconard190 25 Jul 2012 3:27PM GMT 
gnotreal 26 Jul 2012 10:02AM GMT 
gnotreal 21 Jan 2013 2:21AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic