Search for content in message boards

Hughes Family Blackwatertown, Co Armagh

Replies: 3

Re: Hughes Family Blackwatertown, Co Armagh

Posted: 15 Sep 2012 9:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello John,

I like to see if I can be of some small assistance to family historians like yourself who are looking for their ancestors, mainly in Ireland, but also in Great Britain and the United States.

Concerning the Goodwin and Quin lines, I didn’t find the baptism index for Mary Goodwin, but did locate what I believe may be the baptism index for her sister Catherine at the IFHF website for County Tyrone. The index shows that Catherine’s baptism? was recorded in Beragh, Tyrone, in 1852:

1 match for the search criteria: Goodwin (plus variants) Catherine 1852 Parish: BERAGH (RD)

Record Type: Baptism/Birth Records for Co. Tyrone
Surname: Goodwin
First Name: Catherine
Father's Surname: Goodwin
Father's First Name: Patrick
Mother's Surname: Quin
Mother's First Name: Mary

Year: 1852

Parish/District: BERAGH (RD)
____

I also looked for birth or baptism indexes for other children of Patrick Goodwin and Mary Quin, but found none. Nor did I find the marriage index for Patrick and Mary.

As noted earlier the index above may refer to a baptism for Catherine, as the government in Ireland didn’t commence with the civil registration of births, marriages, and deaths for all religious denominations until 1864. You may be able to confirm whether or not the index above pertains to a baptism if you order the transcription from the IFHF.

Beragh, Tyrone was located in the Civil Parish of Cappagh. Beragh is situated just southeast of Omagh. You can view a satellite image of Beragh at: http://tinyurl.com/9m29p4z

Once at the satellite image, click on the map link and you can see where Beragh is in relation to the city of Omagh.

I found a description of Beragh from the 1837b edition of Lewis’s Topographical Dictionary of Ireland. You can access the Topographical Dictionary at the Library Ireland website link at: http://www.libraryireland.com/topog/index.php

The description of Beragh follows:

BEREGH, or LOWRYSTOWN, a market-town, in the parish of CLOGHERNEY, barony of OMAGH, county of TYRONE, and province of ULSTER, 7 miles (S. E.) from Omagh: the population is returned with the parish. It is situated on the road from Omagh to Dungannon, and consists of one long wide street containing about 70 houses, most of which are well built, though rapidly falling into decay. The former residence of the Belmore family, proprietors of the town, an elegant and spacious mansion, is now in ruins; and the town exhibits every appearance of neglect. The inhabitants are principally employed in agriculture, with which they combine the weaving of linen cloth. The patent for the market and fairs was granted under the name of Lowrystown; the market is on Wednesday, and fairs are held regularly on the first Monday in every month for cattle, sheep, and pigs. A constabulary police force is stationed here; and petty sessions are held every alternate week. One of the chapels for the R. C. parish of Clogherney is situated in the town.—See CLOGHERNEY.
____

Best Wishes John,

Dave
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Liamod 25 Jul 2012 2:27PM GMT 
DaveBoylan 1 Sep 2012 1:52AM GMT 
Liamod 12 Sep 2012 12:03PM GMT 
DaveBoylan 16 Sep 2012 3:39AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions