Search for content in message boards

Simon Rock c 1796

Replies: 7

Re: Simon Rock c 1796

Posted: 8 Feb 2013 7:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
It turns out the directory is farmer & residental directory and everyone has the spelling Rocks. I'll given them to you anyway. Al is short for Allistragh; M - is short for Milford.

Bd Rocks, Drumcoote
Edward Rocks, Creeveroe, Al
John Rocks, Ballyrea
Mrs. M. Rocks, Ballyboy, M.
Ptk. Rocks, Drumcairn A-l
Ptk. Rocks, Drumcoote
Simon Rocks, Balleycoffy, M.

1846:

Peter Rock, Thomas St. Armagh, spirit & porter dealer

1881:

Patrick Rock, Farmer, Parish of Armagh
Edward Rocks, Farmer Parish of Eglish

1894:
Patrick Rock, Farmer, Armagh
Edward Rock, Farmer, Armagh

Names were often misread. If you look at actual documents you can understand how bad some people writing was. In other cases just the 'flowery' way some people wrote is decifered wrongly. Letters also looked different, in some cases you will see the S written as we would write an F. Even today
when I look at some records available on the pay website I use, I will find an error and in this case from a typed copy (no excuse)
I wonder if you have the records of two persons rather than one. Usually differences in ages is about 5 years, I'm amazed at how many people didn't know how old they were even though they were christened in a Church where records were kept. Most search programs such as www.rootsireland.ie will give you a choice of +/- 2 yr. 5 yrs. 7 years or 10.

Census are my favourite, people in one family could age at different rates between 1901 and 1911, one member ages 4 years another 7, one the 10 correct year. Its fairly amazing and a bit comical.

In the Civil registrations on www.familysearch.org you will see deaths reported in this way:

Mary Brown 1885 age 46 Brookeville, estimated year of birth estimated based on age given at death.
(if the age she thought she was or the person reporting thought she was you will given a wrong actual birth year)

Also the microfilm that was transcribed from the National Library in Dublin (or PRONI) was done by students of the Latter Day Saints so spellings often are wrong or they could jump a line. So they aren't always correct either.

I have seen one gravestone inscription for one family with
three different spellings of the same surname. I suppose even the literacy of the stone carver might be wrong.

The difference between 1845 & 1848 is nothing. Also if Church of Ireland, the birth and the baptism can be quite wide apart. Most times the first Sunday after birth but
some 2 years when the next child is baptised. RC have some 'rules' that a child must be baptised as soon as possible
and often a child will be baptised in the brides mother's parish. The mum go to her mothers for her childs birth and later children would be baptised in her husband's parish (if they were different)

Was Patrick Rock 1915 on headstone also in the Census?
www.census.nationalarchives.ie

I think I answered most of the questions, if I forgot any
contact me again.

Annette
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
McGartlandT 8 Feb 2013 3:55PM GMT 
elwynsoutter1 8 Feb 2013 4:11PM GMT 
AnnetteCode 8 Feb 2013 4:12PM GMT 
McGartlandT 8 Feb 2013 4:46PM GMT 
AnnetteCode 9 Feb 2013 2:59AM GMT 
McGartlandT 9 Feb 2013 7:57AM GMT 
McGartlandT 8 Feb 2013 6:37PM GMT