Search for content in message boards

Clifford family Armagh

Replies: 5

Re: Clifford family Armagh

Posted: 4 Apr 2013 8:09AM GMT
Classification: Query
You’re welcome camlad and many thanks for your response. You had mentioned in your reply that Joseph Clifford had married a Catherine Boyle. I found the church marriage index as well as the civil marriage index for Joseph and Catherine at the IFHF website for County Armagh. I’m not sure which marriage record you have, but the indexes below show they were married in the Drumcree Catholic Church, while their civil marriage was recorded in Portadown. The 1886 marriage indexes for Joseph and Mary Furphy had shown their marriage also recorded in the Drumcree Catholic Church and Portadown.

The church and civil marriage indexes for Joseph Clifford and Catherine Boyle follow:

1 match for the search criteria: Clifford (plus variants) Joseph 1876 Parish: DRUMCREE (RC)

Record Type: Marriage Records for Co. Armagh
Surname: Clifford
First Name: Joseph
Spouse's Surname: Boyle
Spouse's First Name: Catherine
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1876

Parish/District: Parish: DRUMCREE (RC)

AND

1 match for the search criteria: Clifford (plus variants) Joseph 1876 Parish: PORTADOWN RC (CP)

First Name: Joseph
Spouse's Surname: Boyle
Spouse's First Name: Catherine
Father's Surname: Clifford
Father's First Name: Richardson
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Parish/District: Parish: PORTADOWN RC (CP)
____

With Catherine Boyle as the primary partner in the marriage index, I guessed that her father was Peter Boyle. The IFHF search engine accepted this:

1 match for the search criteria: Boyle (plus variants) Catherine 1876 Parish: PORTADOWN RC (CP)

Surname: Boyle
First Name: Catherine
Spouse's Surname: Clifford
Spouse's First Name: Joseph
Father's Surname: Boyle
Father's First Name: Peter
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Parish/District: Parish: PORTADOWN RC (CP)
____

Your records show that Joseph and Catherine had one child, Mary Ann, born in 1878. But I found the birth and baptism indexes for two of their children at the IFHF website. One of these children is for John Clifford (1878), while the other child is the aforementioned Mary Ann, born, as your records show, in 1879. The births of the two children were recorded in Tartaraghan, while the baptisms took place in the Drumcree Catholic Church. In the birth index for Mary Ann the IFHF search engine would only accept Richardson as the first name of her father, and the spelling “Cathrine”, for the first name of her mother. In Mary Ann’s baptism index the search engine would only accept the abbreviation, “Cath” for her mother’s first name, but did accept Joseph as her father. The indexes are below:

1 match for the search criteria: Clifford (plus variants) John 1878 Parish: TARTARAGHAN CP (CP)

Record Type: Baptism/Birth Records for Co. Armagh
First Name: John
Father's First Name: Joseph
Mother's Surname: Boyle
Mother's First Name: Catherine

Year: 1878

Parish/District: TARTARAGHAN CP (CP)

AND

1 match for the search criteria: Clifford (plus variants) John 1878 Parish: DRUMCREE (RC)

First Name: John

Year: 1878

Parish/District: DRUMCREE (RC)
____

1 match for the search criteria: Clifford (plus variants) Mary 1879 Parish: TARTARAGHAN CP (CP)

First Name: Mary Ann
Father's First Name: Richardson
Mother's First Name: Cathrine

Year: 1879

Parish/District: TARTARAGHAN CP (CP)

AND

1 match for the search criteria: Clifford (plus variants) Mary 1879 Parish: DRUMCREE (RC)

First Name: Mary Anne
Mother's First Name: Cath

Year: 1879
____

CATHERINE BOYLE

From the marriage index we know that Catherine Boyle’s father was Peter Boyle. Information you have shows that Catherine was born in 1858. With this information I wanted to see if I could find a baptism index for Catherine for the late 1850s. There will not be a civil record of birth for her, as civil registration of births, marriages, and deaths for all religious denominations in Ireland, didn’t begin until 1864.

I located two birth indexes at the IFHF website, one of which may pertain to your Catherine Boyle. The first index below shows the baptism of a Catherine Boyle took place in the Seagoe Catholic Church in 1856. After a guess or two the IFHF search engine accepted Catherine as the first name of her mother:

1 match for the search criteria: Boyle (plus variants) Catherine 1856 Parish: SEAGOE (RC)

Mother's Surname:

Year: 1856

Parish/District: SEAGOE (RC)
____

I then wanted to see if I could learn what the maiden name of Catherine’s mother, Catherine, was. To do this I went to the Latter Day Saints (LDS) website, to see if I could find the birth indexes in County Armagh for any children born to a Peter Boyle and a Catherine. The LDS have recorded civil births throughout Ireland after 1863. I thought there was a possibility that even though Catherine was born and baptized in 1856, her parents may have had other children for the remainder of the 1850s and into the mid to latter 1860s.

The LDS website can be found at: https://www.familysearch.org/#form=advanced-records

Two indexes that I uncovered are below. One shows the birth of a Patrick Boyle recorded in Armagh, Ireland on 14 April 1865. Her parents are listed as Peter Boyle and Catherin McGuckin. The second index shows the birth of a Rosanne Boyle recorded in Armagh on 1 November 1868. Her parents are listed as Peter Boyle and Catherine Darcy.

Please see below:

Patrick Boyle

birth: 14 Apr 1865

Armagh, Ireland

parents: Peter Boyle, Catherin Mcguckin
____

Rosanne Boyle

birth: 01 Nov 1868

Armagh, Ireland

parents: Peter Boyle, Catherine Darcy
____

I then went back to the birth index for Catherine Boyle to see if the search engine would accept either McGuckin or Darcy as Catherine’s maiden name. The search engine accepted McGuckin. And so, this baptism index shows that Catherine Boyle’s parents were Peter Boyle and Catherine McGuckin:

1 match for the search criteria: Boyle (plus variants) Catherine 1856 Parish: SEAGOE (RC)

Mother's Surname: McGuckin

Year: 1856

Parish/District: SEAGOE (RC)
____

Has the surname McGuckin come up in the Boyle genealogy?

The second index I uncovered shows the baptism of a Catherine Boyle recorded in the Lower Killeavy Catholic Church. The IFHF search engine also accepted Catherine as the first name of Catherine’s mother:

1 match for the search criteria: Boyle (plus variants) Catherine 1860 Parish: LWR KILLEAVY (RC)

Mother's Surname:

Year: 1860

Parish/District: LWR KILLEAVY (RC)
____

I usually don’t try to guess as to the maiden name of a child’s mother in a baptism or a birth index when searching at the IFHF. But, what I almost always do is see if the surnames of the child’s parents are the same, as I have found over the years that people with the same last names in Ireland, during the 19th century, had married one another. In the case of the baptism index for Catherine in 1860, I typed in Boyle as Catherine’s maiden name and was surprised that the search engine accepted Boyle. In the revised index below you’ll see that Catherine’s parents are Peter Boyle and Catherine Boyle:

1 match for the search criteria: Boyle (plus variants) Catherine 1860 Parish: LWR KILLEAVY (RC)

Year: 1860

Parish/District: LWR KILLEAVY (RC)
____

I think the first baptism index for Catherine Boyle (1856), daughter of Peter Boyle and Catherine McGuckin, may be the
Catherine who would later marry your Peter Boyle in 1876. This is because the Catholic Parish of Seagoe borders the Catholic parishes of Drumcree and Tartaraghan. In addition, Portadown is located within the Civil Parish of Drumcree. These are the locations associated with the Clifford family as noted in this reply and my first reply of 31 March.

To see a Catholic Parish map of County Armagh, go to the Irish Times website link at:
http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/ar...

You’ll see that the Catholic parishes of Seagoe, Drumcree and Tartaraghan (the full name of which is Loughall & Tartaraghan) are situated in the northern portion of the county. The Catholic parish of Lower Killeavey, on the other hand, is located in the southeast portion of the map.

Next I wanted to see if I could locate the death record for Joseph Clifford’s first wife Catherine Boyle. I looked for her death record at the IFHF website as well as at the LDS and Ancestry.com websites. I didn’t find a death index for her recorded in the late 1870s and early to mid 1880s. It is possible there is a death record for her, but that I couldn’t identify it in any of the website mentioned above.

Once again, thank you for your reply,

Kind Regards,

Dave
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Camlad 26 Mar 2013 11:53PM GMT 
DaveBoylan 31 Mar 2013 1:15PM GMT 
Camlad 31 Mar 2013 10:51PM GMT 
DaveBoylan 4 Apr 2013 2:09PM GMT 
Camlad 4 Apr 2013 8:30PM GMT 
DaveBoylan 9 May 2013 12:26PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions