Search for content in message boards

D. tifft

Replies: 2

Re: D. tifft

Posted: 17 Nov 2012 10:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Ireland may seem small but genealogy wise is enormous.There are no Tifft's in the Tithe Applotments of Ireland dated
1820-1839. There are 139 surname's Hudson.

since you are on the message board for Armagh I'm asumming
that is where you think the family came from?

William Hudson Parish Creggan, Townland Dorsey, Co. Armagh
William Hudson Parish Creggan, Townland Darsey (could be a repeat due to mistranscription of name or 1 William Hudson
with two pieces of land?

Hudson might have been his mother or grandmother's name often carried down through families as a second name.

The next census substitute for Ireland is the Griffith
Valuation but it didn't occur in Armagh till 1863, and other counties from 1846-1874.

www.familysearch.org
the only Tifft's appear to be from the USA but I do
see the name Tefft (this can easily have been either misspelled, mistranscribed or written by the sound as many Irish names. Then the person would keep on with that spelling.
eg: my husband's family were Codd in Ireland, came to Canada where their name was spelt as Code and they kept that
spelling, this was between 1818-1832.

WWWI Draft Card 1917-1918 for surname TEFFT, William states born in Ireland 22 Feb 1889.

He is not in the 1901 Census-Ireland. There are no other Tefft's.

There are Tift 32 in the UK 1871 census and 46 Tifft's/Tift in the 1861 UK Census. There are only 2 Taft in the 1871 from Ireland and 1 Taft in the 1841 from Ireland.

Look in the US Census for 1881 to see who was born in Ireland and when. This used to be on the LDS site. That might give you some children's names.

Make sure you keep your contact email address with Ancestry/Rootsweb updated so people can contact you even if a few years go by.

Annette Code
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Judy Reynolds 12 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT 
sherman_paske... 30 Sep 2012 2:28PM GMT 
AnnetteCode 18 Nov 2012 5:55AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions