My name is Bob Starling and I am the family historian for the Whitfield family in Australia with connections back to Ballyhagen.
I have a Jacob WHITFIELD
Born 1774 in Ballyhagen alternate date 2 April 1772
Died - Still searching
Married circa. 1800
Died 12 March 1841 in Finnelly NI
Jacob had at least four children who followed him to Australia. His wife Mary did not go to Australia.
1. Mary born April 1808 - place of birth unknown
2. Catherine born April 1810 - place of birth unknown
3. Judith born 1811 - place of birth unknown
4. William born 16 March 1812 Cootehill Parish of Drumgoon Cavan
Jacob Whitfield was convicted of stealing a horse in Tyrone County Ireland in July 1820 and sentenced to life imprisonment. Jacob was transported on the Vessel “Isabella” 1 (2) sailing from Cork on 4 November 1821.
Jacobs parents were John Whitfield born 1730 Finnelly Co, Tyrone married 27 December 1758 Susanna Pearson born 1734 Armagh - Apart from Jacob there were five other siblings:
1. John born November 1760 Married 12 March 1850 Sarah Mitten born 1765
2. Alice born July 1762 married 1792 Jonathan Kerr born August 1761
3. Isaac born May 1776 died 23 June 1825
4. Thomas born 29 September 1768 married 1795 Sarah Mitten born 1769 died 20 December 1848
5. Sarah born May 1777
I made a very brief visit to Ballyhagen and Loughgall and visited Dan Winters home about two years ago but did not have time to do any research on the family tree.
As I live in Australia, I am unaware as to how I might access records to prove that Jacob was born in Ballyhagen and if so, how I may obtain a copy of his birth/baptism record.