Search for content in message boards

HANNA family in DERRYLEE

Replies: 8

Re: HANNA family in DERRYLEE

Posted: 30 May 2010 7:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
I did quite a lot of work on the Hanna family in Tartaraghan and neighbouring parishes a few years ago. I would really need to access the files in my old PC but off the top of my head, I seem to remember that there were two Hannas living in Tartaraghan parish for the 1864 Griffith's Valuation: Robert Hanna (this is my line) who was living in Ballynarry, and Martha Hanna who was living in Derrylee townland.

At the time, I tried hard to link the two Hanna families together. From church records, I found one or two births to a William and Mary Hanna in Derrylee. (I presumed that William was the son of the above Martha.) As my Robert had had a son called William, who emigrated to Paterson, NJ and married an Irish-born Mary, I tried to link the Derrylee Hannas to mine. But, the first children's names did not tally. Then, they disappeared, there was nothing more in the church books, and I searched for them in the censuses in the usual places where Tartaraghan people emigrated: Paterson, NY and S. Manchester, Conn. I did not find them, obviously because they had gone to NY. Now, I know!

How did you get the precise Derrylee link to your Hanna branch? What were the other names of Sarah and Mary's siblings? There were no Thomases among my Robert Hanna's sons. At the time, I presumed that the Hannas of Derrylee came originally from the Hannas in Killyman parish, Co. Armagh as the early church records were shared between these two parishes. I searched for Hannas in the early Killyman church books (1785-1820), but did not have time to browse the later years. I will have to relook what I wrote down - I do remember that there were Martha Hannas at the time. I may have some Killyman confirmation records somewhere though.

BTW, there were no Hannas in either the early Tartaraghan Church of Ireland books or the Milltown Church of Ireland books till the late 1850's / early 1860's. I know this because I accessed both lots of books. So, the Derrylee Hannas and my line obviously came from another parish originally. I think that mine came up from Kilmore parish, Co. Armagh.But, why did mine move to Ballynarry, Tartaraghan there in the late 1850's and why did yours appear in an approximate same time frame?? It could be a fluke or not!

Warning: this is all from the top of my head. I really will have to dig up my files!

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jwalden111 11 Apr 2010 7:37PM GMT 
selkie70 31 May 2010 1:09AM GMT 
jwalden111 31 May 2010 1:41AM GMT 
EileenWilson0... 30 Mar 2011 5:24PM GMT 
jwalden111 30 Mar 2011 6:21PM GMT 
jwalden111 30 Mar 2011 11:18PM GMT 
EileenWilson0... 1 Apr 2011 3:06PM GMT 
jwalden111 29 Dec 2012 5:08AM GMT 
Erika5730 18 Jun 2013 9:03PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic